2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bitterroots in Montana, Questions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
refrigerator Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 11:01 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heading to Montana for a backpacking fishing trip looking at Fish Lake, Hackney and Lost Horse Lake middle August 2013. My questions, Are these Lakes crowded and are there other alternative you can recommend?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--------------
If you are reading this , Thank a Teacher.
If you are reading this in ENGLISH, Thank a VET.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2013, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know pretty much nothing of the Bitterroots and they don't seem to be discussed here very often. The author of this page at Summitpost.org should be able to help you out.

http://www.summitpost.org/bitterroot-waters/443953

It looks lovely there. If I didn't have my beloved, alluring Absaroka, tantalizing Tetons, wonderful Winds, and of course the glorious Gros Ventre so close by I'd be tempted.

Wherever you end up going have an awesome time Fridge.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never done much hiking in the Bitterroots beyond a few short day hikes years ago.  But they are very popular in the western part of the state  - Missoula, Hamiton, etc.

Beware that they experienced severe fires a number of years ago so be prepared for some extensive areas that have been burned and are far from recovered.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 25 2013, 7:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Large fires this year as well....................
 Post Number: 6
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bpacked in the West Big Hole Wilderness In Montana in 1999. Hiked up to Berry and Timberline Lakes right on the divide looking down on the Idaho side.

Beautiful country, very thick timber, lots of water and lots of mosquitoes and Elk. No people anywhere up at the lakes. Had to OT a short distance to them and it was fairly steep but easy.

Not a particularly large area conducive to thru hikes but nice 5-10 mile hikes and back.

And yes, because there is so much thick black timber in, dry years fire would be a concern I assume. Was a very wet July when I was there.

Oh and nice Cutts in the lakes to 15-16 inches and Brookies in the creek walking up.

Overall this is a low level use area, which I enjoyed.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We plan on a base in Missoula and could easily head up to Bob Marshall Wilderness. I guess I'll call some local guides and the Rangers to check the Bitterroots area I mentioned.

--------------
6 replies since Feb. 24 2013, 11:01 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bitterroots in Montana
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions