2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: 5 day Colorado backpacking trip?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TXXCBIKER Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 6:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys!

So, for a last hurrah before college, myself and four of my best friends are planning a road trip up to Colorado sometime in June.

We're figuring 2 day drive up and back down from College Station TX, and we're looking for a suggest itinerary in Colorado that will take us 5 days to complete.

We were all part of a Philmont trek this summer which completed ~110 miles in 11 days at around 8-12k feet, and we backpack typically monthly so we are not naive beginners. However, I definitely welcome suggestions as to how to run a 5 day unsupported trip, as this will be our longest unsupported trip yet.

Also, I don't think this will be possible, but I'm a pretty avid mountain biker and I'd love to get a few hours in at a downhill park in the area before we head home

Thank you, and hike on!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too early to tell yet.  But, snow could be an issue up high here in Colorado.  Right now, we are below on snowpack.  But, that could easily change in March and April.  My advice is to plan for the very last 5 days of June.  You'll probably be okay then.  If you are thinking earlier, then go over to my "Consider Time of Year" thread in this same forum.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alright, thanks for the reply. Early June is probably our best bet, so I'm glad I asked. See, these are things we don't have to worry about at 300'.
 Post Number: 4
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Early June should be a good time to do a shuttle hike north of Durango.  You should be able to do the Colorado trail from Molas pass to Durango.  You will likely hit snow fields on the north end and maybe around Kennebec, but you should be able to do it.
Carrying gear for 5 days should be no problem.  That time of year highs will be 60s to 70s and lows 20s and 30s with exceptions on each end.  June is the driest time of the year so the weather should be great.
You can hit the downhill course at Purgatory north of Durango if you like.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started doing some research on that route, it looks good so far! Some questions though: You recommend hiking TO Durango? Why not the other direction? Also, how many miles is that (aprox?)
 Post Number: 6
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TXXCBIKER @ Mar. 04 2013, 3:56 pm)
I started doing some research on that route, it looks good so far! Some questions though: You recommend hiking TO Durango? Why not the other direction? Also, how many miles is that (aprox?)

If you had been doing any research you would have found out that Molas TO Durango is generally downhill all the way. Coming from sea level you'll appreciate it over the 73 mi at 11/12,000'.

But again, it's a toss of the dice, so far this winter has been dry, and you might find some dry ground here and there, but 90% of the time EARLY JUNE IS WAY TOO EARLY to BP in CO.

These are normal "early" June conditions in CO.

Throw your bikes on the rack and head to Moab/ Fruita/ Grand Junction instead.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alright thanks. It looks like I may have to go to Colorado on my own at some point and my friends and I may just go NE instead of NW.
 Post Number: 8
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with what Swims with Trout said.  The snow amount could be unpredictable.  If you check back around mid May I could give you a better idea on the snow levels you may see.

When I bp in early June, I usually stay below 10,000' unless it has been a dry winter/warm spring.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
7 replies since Mar. 03 2013, 6:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply 5 day Colorado backpacking trip?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions