2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking near Denver, 60 Degrees!?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
siggy2xc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 10:52 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are there any good places to go backpacking near Denver from the 11th-15th? We were originally planning on driving all the way down to the Great Sand Dunes but that's looking like a long drive for a very cold trip.

I know March isn't usually the best time for backpacking due to so much snow, just hoping the warm weather and low snow pack this year means it'll be do able.

Denver forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Denver+CO+USCO0105:1:US

Doesn't necessarily have to be Denver, just anywhere in the warmer part of Colorado.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Denver area is expecting snow over the weekend.  The one thought that comes to mind might be Lost Creek Wilderness west of C Springs.  I have no intel on how snowy it may be down there but have heard it doesn't stick around long after it falls.  Goose Creek trailhead maybe.
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

11th - 15th of March?

No
 Post Number: 4
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry but a day or two here and there of 60 degree weather at Denver's elevation 5,280, does not translate to warm weather in the high country.  The mountains have been getting hit with new snow for the last few weeks and more is on the way for the weekend.

We are NOT joking when we say that March is still winter in the high country.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Umm, according to the latest computer models, Denver and the Front Range is going to get up to 19" of fresh white stuff starting tomorrow night.

Lot's of scatter in the data, but 3 large clusters of total precip and 16-19" of new snow being one of them.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 08 2013, 8:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yep, and we are still at least a week away from the anniversary of the 2003 storm that left 43" in my yard.  That same storm dumped as much as 10 feet of new snow in some parts of the mountains just west of Denver.  

YAY!  Spring time in the Rockies, when we get a big percentage of our precipitation for the year, in the form of snow.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
countr21 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

For future reference, the Pawnee National Grasslands is a pleasant place for a few nights.  There are hundreds of square miles to get lost in.
6 replies since Mar. 06 2013, 10:52 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking near Denver
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions