2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ID's River of No Return, Great Video< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wornoutboots Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 8:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is a Great Video about a place I never knew existed, "the River of No Return" What can any of you tell me about backpacking there?

http://video.thinktv.org/video/2219735822

--------------
Take time to watch the trees dance with the wind......then join in
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2013, 9:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huge area, huge variety in backpacking.  Very remote.
 Post Number: 3
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Extremely rugged. Lots of vertical topography.
 Post Number: 4
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Based on the video, it looks like there are signed trails and markers. Are there any printed maps of this wilderness area?

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 5
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is included in the Salmon-Challis National Forest.  There is an abundance of great backpacking, great rivers, tons of subalpine and alpine lakes...great country.  My avatar pic was actually taken in the main Salmon River corridor.  A few links with good stuff about the area:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/scnf    (links here to purchase topo maps)

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5300616.pdf

Margaret Fuller has hiked just about every inch of Idaho, and has a good guidebook for the area:
http://www.trailguidebooks.com/books.htm

http://www.pbs.org/wnet....618

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 6
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2013, 5:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(liv4mtns @ Mar. 07 2013, 10:24 am)
Based on the video, it looks like there are signed trails and markers. Are there any printed maps of this wilderness area?

There are numerous trails, and some are signed.  But don't count on that being the case.  It's a huge wilderness area, and trail maintenance is definitely hit and miss.  The most popular areas are maintained fairly well, but there are trails that see very little work.  The impact of some big fires over the last several years has done some damage to some trail areas as well.

For what it's worth, I really love the main Salmon corridor, going in at Corn Creek and hiking until Lantz Bar, in the spring.  It's very easy, but one of the earliest trails to be hikable in the spring in Idaho, due to the lower elevation. It's usually hikable by mid to late March. There are numerous side canyons to explore that can take you up 2000 feet above the river on the high ridges, with sweeping views of the river valley and great vantage points for wildlife viewing. It's a fantastic wildlife hike...I always see elk, bighorn sheep, deer, and have seen black bears, wolves, and mountain goats occasionally.  It's also a great place for history buffs, with evidence of Native Americans and old gold mining activity all along the corridor.

My favorite place after mid July would be anywhere in the Bighorn Crags area.  World class mountain scenery littered with lakes large and small.  It's really a special place.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 7
ThomasOord Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hiked the entire length of this wilderness last summer. It was one portion of my 1,000 mile hike the length of Idaho. It was probably the toughest part of the hike, because there are few resupply points and the trails are not well kept. I hiked a week -- more than 100 miles -- and saw no one. I then took a one day rest and hiked another week, seeing only one person during that time.

Tom
 Post Number: 8
UTJetdog Search for posts by this member.
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 19 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ThomasOord @ Mar. 13 2013, 7:53 pm)
I hiked the entire length of this wilderness last summer. It was one portion of my 1,000 mile hike the length of Idaho.

Tom

Now that's pretty kewl!

--------------

N 40.387763 W 111.816942 Elev. 4632
 Post Number: 9
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And some of the best fishing in the world!

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 10
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ponderosa @ Mar. 07 2013, 3:41 pm)
[quote=liv4mtns,Mar. 07 2013, 10:24 am]
My favorite place after mid July would be anywhere in the Bighorn Crags area.  World class mountain scenery littered with lakes large and small.  It's really a special place.

Ssh....Bighorn Crags aren't any good.......  :D
 Post Number: 11
2PawsRiver Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 22 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you to those who posted in this thread.....it is now my 2014 destination.

--------------
www.MarkandSharonLundin.com
10 replies since Mar. 06 2013, 8:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ID's River of No Return
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions