2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Tetons and Yellowstone day hikes, mid jun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BigRick Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 20 2013, 10:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all I will be goint to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone in mid June.  Not sure if I wil be gone one or two weeks.  I will be doing mainly day hikes as I am unsure if I will have a hiking partner, and am unsure if i want to overnight backcountry camp by myself in an area I have not been to yet.

I am looking for some good day hikes with views in those areas.  I can hike about 10 miles a day.  No crampons or ice axes.  I have experience in hiking terrain such as in glacier park and the adirondacks. I am in good shape.
I know one hike I would like to do in yellowstone is Mt. washburn, or atleast as far as I can go before snow stops me.  Im less sure of hikes in the Grand Tetons though.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdee Rick:

Everything of course depends on the snow. If the longer range forecasts pan out it will be an earlier hiking season than normal.

Washburn might be the way to go for you in YNP, but if it gets hot and dry [snow] this spring keep Avalanche Peak in mind. IMO it is far superior to Washburn. Black Canyon is a good early season hike. If conditions permit look into Slough Creek, saw a Wolverine there a couple of years ago.

JDR Memorial Parkway: If it is doable Huckleberry Mt. is awesome. Great shelter on top if you wanted to overnight. about 11.4 mile roundtrip. WORTH IT if conditions allow.

Glade Creek: Wildlife like you can't imagine.

In GTNP:

Hermitage Point: all of it, later in the day. Talk to me and I'll tell you why this can be one of the great wildlife dayhikes of the Continent, particularly in your time frame. Pretty level, 10 miler, maybe a bit more or less depending on what you ultimately do.

The Meadows: Usually tracked out in even good snow years by mid June by Grand Climbers. More strenuous.

Around the Block: I love staying at the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch and in mid June should be lots of room. Hiking out of there is great. Bradley and Taggart will likely be fully thawed by then this year.

Death Canyon: Was awesome for me past the Ranger Cabin this past June.

Hanging Canyon: doubt you'll be able to do Lake of the Crags but Arrowhead Pool will LIKELY be reachable.

Bearpaw and Trappers Lakes: Jaw dropping views with every step around Leigh Lake. Very Level, like 9.5 miles roundtrip.

Two Ocean Lake with Grand View Point: Another place wildlife should be awesome then. About 9 fairly level miles.

Open Canyon: Very nice, might get fairly high there but doubt Mt. hunt Divide would be in order.

****Tram & Granite Canyon: Check when you get here, just might open by then but very well may not. Tram up, 12 miles downhill.

BTNF:

Mt. Leidy. If you have a decent vehicle a great place to car camp and the hike is short but steep. In many minds the greatest view of the entire Teton Range. The view of the Gros Ventre is stunning.

Jackson Peak: I did it with a fair amount of snow last June by getting off trail well before Goodwin Lake.

Granite Hi-Line Trail: One of our early season Gems. Granite Creek is one of the most beautiful drainages you'll ever drive. Good place to car camp a couple of nights because hiking up Granite Creek into the Wilderness is special. You might get a fair distance up Swift Creek then, that's one of my all time favorites.

Red Hills: Great warmup hike, fascinating terrain.

Targhee: Mt. Taylor: I did it last June, awesome hike.

If you call me with a Bridger-Teton Jackson & Buffalo RD Map I can point you around ALL of GTNP, much of southern Yellowstone, a little of the Targhee, and two of the most spectacular Ranger Districts there are.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow that is a ton of information.  Thank you,

I will look into Avalanche Peak, Huckleberry Mtn, hermitage point, for sure.  Well really ill look into all of your suggestions.

I am a huge fan of wildlife, I have seen a lot of elk in my life, so that is lower on my list. any good areas to have a decent chance of seeing wolves, a mountain lion would be spectactular haha but i know they are scarce just about anywhere.   Some bison would be nice to see, and grizzly of course.

Ill check out the BTNF hikes you listed as well.

How are they views on the gram and granite canyon.

And what is the special story behind hermitage point of why it is such an excellent day hike?
Thanks
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 8:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Lamar Valley is considered by many as the best place to observe and photograph wolves in North America. The trail isn't incredibly scenic, but you never know.

I have seen a fair amount of wolves hiking in the SW Absaroka from Togwotee Pass to beyond Double Cabin.I've also seen them on Hermitage Point and elsewere in GTNP.

--------------

Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 21 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fantastic, looks like it will be time to start putting everything together for this trip.  Thank you for the guidance.  

I have heard that absaroka can be rather stunning
 Post Number: 6
UTJetdog Search for posts by this member.
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Mar. 21 2013, 8:42 am)
Slough Creek, saw a Wolverine there a couple of years ago.

That's kewl!

--------------

N 40.387763 W 111.816942 Elev. 4632
 Post Number: 7
Xavier Jeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 8:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If snow isn't an issue at the time of your visit, you should definitely check out Cascade Canyon in the Tetons. Also, I hiked Avalanche Peak in YNP several years ago - that was an awesome hike - great views of the Absarokas from the top.

--------------
Jeff
HikinginGlacier.com
RockyMountainHikingTrails.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 9:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Xavier Jeff @ Mar. 25 2013, 8:35 pm)
If snow isn't an issue at the time of your visit, you should definitely check out Cascade Canyon in the Tetons. Also, I hiked Avalanche Peak in YNP several years ago - that was an awesome hike - great views of the Absarokas from the top.

Thanks for the input.  I have read a few places now that Avalanche peak is a really good hike.  I will be probably putting it at the top of my list, pending weather and snow.

When i went to glacier last year I put my trip together by reading articles and websites for ahours. and looking at a lot of trail pictures.  And i really could not have asked for a better trip.  However i am having a harder time finding the same kidn of info this time.  maybe im not looking hard enough lol
 Post Number: 9
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My personal favorite in Yellowstone is also Avalanche Peak.  Take along garbage liners.  Hopefully, there will be plenty of snow for you to slide down.  But NOT FROM THE TOP.  It is too dangerous there.  Go south along the ridge to where it is safer, and you could get several hundred feet of sliding.  When I worked in the park, we'd take dining room trays up there to slide down on.  That is why some of them look banged up at certain dining rooms.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Rick - it's been awhile since I've been to YNP/Tetons, so I don't know what kind of info is out there. I wish I could share my photos from my hikes in those parks, but I was using a film camera back in those days.

BTW, Avalanche Peak was the first time we ever encountered a grizzly bear while hiking. We saw it near the summit - fortunately there were two other groups of people in the vicinity, so I wasn't too concerned about a charge or anything like that.

--------------
Jeff
HikinginGlacier.com
 Post Number: 11
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of pictures from Avalanche Peak. Not the longest hike, but well worth the effort.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

O man, those pictures look amazing.  Wow i hope i get to hike that trail.  Thanks for the pictures
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great photos - those views are even more beautiful than I remember. Right in the middle of that last photo is were we saw that grizzly!

--------------
Jeff
HikinginGlacier.com
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The "twin" to Avalanche Peak is Hoyt Peak, I believe on the first picture.  I once climbed Hoyt, and walked the ridge over to Avalanche.  Not as easy as I thought it would be.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 27 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, at one time, while working in the park, I wanted to some day get married on that peak.  My plan was for the wedding party to climb Avalanche, and for me to hire a helicopter for people who couldn't make the climb.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 16
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 8:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We will be in Yellowstone the 1st week of June and Avalanche has now displaced Mt. Washburn as something I want to hike and see.
 Post Number: 17
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(burntfoot @ Mar. 27 2013, 9:51 pm)
The "twin" to Avalanche Peak is Hoyt Peak, I believe on the first picture.  I once climbed Hoyt, and walked the ridge over to Avalanche.  Not as easy as I thought it would be.

You are correct burntfoot, that is Hoyt Peak.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 18
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have just a short afternoon and are looking for an easy and pleasant say, two-three hour hike, I would suggest the walk down to the suspension bridge over the Black  Canyon of the Yellowstone.  It's just about a mile all downhill, and of course uphill on the way out, but it's relatively easy swithchbacks and leads to a great view from the bridge over the canyon and the Yellowstone River.  Great picnic spots on either side of the bridge overlooking the canyon.  Nothing particularly challenging, but great rewards for a little effort. The trailhead is at the Hellroaring turnout along the northern road of the park.   Enjoy your time in the parks.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 28 2013, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hoyt is not a peak for the inexperienced or acrophobic. Hoyt also has an excellent page at Summitpost.org. Summitpost is an awesome site for anyone that hasn't found it yet.

Odds are Avalanche will require substantial snow travel well into if not through June if we're blessed with decent later Spring snow, which I hate to say most of us are wishing for. KEEP UP on Snotel.

--------------

Post Number: 20
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 1:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(burntfoot @ Mar. 25 2013, 11:42 pm)
My personal favorite in Yellowstone is also Avalanche Peak.  Take along garbage liners.  Hopefully, there will be plenty of snow for you to slide down.  But NOT FROM THE TOP.  It is too dangerous there.  Go south along the ridge to where it is safer, and you could get several hundred feet of sliding.  When I worked in the park, we'd take dining room trays up there to slide down on.  That is why some of them look banged up at certain dining rooms.

lol, well that's a behind the scenes story.  Who would have thought.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
19 replies since Mar. 20 2013, 10:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Tetons and Yellowstone day hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions