2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Highline/Swiftcurrent Pass Dayhike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
medicmom Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am currently looking into potential hikes in Glacier for a late July/early August trip.  We will be limited to dayhikes.  One hike we definitely want to do is the Highline Trail.  We were planning on Hiking from Logan Pass to "The Loop" on GTTS Road.  I watched a YouTube video on Swiftcurrent Pass Trail and it looked absolutely beautiful!  So the thought is potentially taking Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet and then Swiftcurrent Pass to Many Glacier.  It appears it would add 3-4 miles to our hike, making it around 15 miles.

We are all experienced hikers and have taken a few mountain backpack trips in additon to several midwest backpack outings.  We would be traveling relatively light since we would have daypacks (with enough emergency supplies to get through a night or two should things go wrong).  I would say we are all above average for fitness but will be coming into the area from the midwest (around 1,000' elevation).  We will be in the area for a couple of weeks so would have time to acclimate if elevation is a concern.  Obviously we would get started at first light and carry flashlights.

My question is whether this hike is doable or a bit too ambitious for Glacier.  We have hiked several 10-12  mile dayhikes in Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Maine so we have an understanding of the difference in mountain hiking vs relatively level ground.  I so wish we had a month or more to explore Glacier and Waterton but unfortunately, our time is limited and we want to cover as much ground as possible.  Thoughts?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For a longer day hike this one isn't as difficult as you might think. The scenery on the first leg from Logan Pass to Granite park will fuel you and there isn't a lot of elevation gain. The nice thing is the baseline elevation at the park is only around 4K so even though you might feel you're on top of the world you're still only at 7K.

If you're feeling really good you could try the Grinnell Glacier overlook trail, the junction of which is clearly signed.  It's a little short of a mile one way but probably 1000' or so elevation gain.  The views are worth it.  If that gasses you then you could easily detour down to the Loop and catch the shuttle back to Logan Pass. YOu could also hike up to the lookout but that might be more than you'd want to take on.

From the chalet you've got a short climb to get up to the pass and the stellar views then it's all downhill.  Frankly, the last 3-4 miles are rather mundane but you could see some wildlife---moose, griz
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, that is helpful.  I was wondering about the Grinnell Glacier spur.  I guess we could see how we are doing at that point and see where we are time-wise.  Seeing glaciers before they melt is a big reason for choosing to visit Glacier this year.  We are really good at covering ground when we need to but I am especially bad about spending way too much time stopping for pictures.  I'm glad to know it's not an unreasonable dayhike!
 Post Number: 4
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dorfs post was pretty spot on, really not as difficult as the milegage may sound.

Im a little confused though, are you hiking from logan pass to many glacier, or to the loop?  Thats 2 different trips, going 2 different dirrections.

For day hiking in the park, there is no place better than Many Glacier.  You could spend a week day hiking there.  .  Also spend some time in two medicine, another great place with several day hiking options.

Also, personally I like the hike over piegan pass to many glacier better than the highline/swiftcurrent pass route.  But thats just me, and you cant go wrong with either route

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 24 2013, 11:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I concur with RobinHood about the Many Glacier and Two Medicine areas.  Probably the finest hiking in the park.  If you're in the Two Medicine area it would be a shame to overlook the Dawson Pass Trail.  Simply spectacular and a perfect loop.  Maybe at  15.5 miles it's a bit long but certainly doable in a day for someone in shape.  All the climbing comes at the beginning and then it's a long pretty level walk along an incredible ridge with views you won't believe before it's all downhill back to the trail head.  You can even work in a boat ride part way back if you time it right.  Not to be missed IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 8:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We were originally thinking of hiking from Logan Pass to the Loop but after looking into it further, decided going to Many Glacier might be a nicer hike.

We will be staying 4 full days in Waterton Lakes and then moving to St. Mary Campground in Glacier for 5 days.  I would will certainly look into all the hiking suggestions.  We do want to spend a day visiting the Blackfeet Indian Reservation but most of our trip will be hiking.  Any suggestions on "must-do" things is very welcome!  This will be our first time to the area.
 Post Number: 7
Xavier Jeff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

medicmom - if you've already done several 10-12 mile hikes, I think you can definitely do a 14.5-mile hike - especially with the scenery you'll encounter on this route, and the fact that there's very little climbing involved. Because you'll be able to purchase drinks and food (snacks) at the Granite Park Chalet, you'll be able to lighten your load a bit as well  - making your trek a little bit easier. In case you  weren't aware, you will have to pay for a shuttle to take you back to Logan Pass.

BTW, I wouldn't start this hike in the dark - definitely wait until sunrise. You'll want to be able to see the scenery as well as your footing along the ledge section at Logan Pass.

I would agree with RobinHood - Piegan Pass is an awesome hike http://www.hikinginglacier.com/piegan-pass.htm. Many people like Dawson Pass out of Two Medicine, but I personally think Pitamakan Pass http://www.hikinginglacier.com/pitamakan-pass.htm is more scenic - however you could do both in one day (about 14 miles or so). One other must-do hike is Cracker Lake in Many Glacier: http://www.hikinginglacier.com/cracker-lake.htm

Good luck!

--------------
Jeff
HikinginGlacier.com
RockyMountainHikingTrails.com
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 25 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Xavier Jeff @ Mar. 25 2013, 10:01 am)
medicmom - if you've already done several 10-12 mile hikes, I think you can definitely do a 14.5-mile hike - especially with the scenery you'll encounter on this route, and the fact that there's very little climbing involved. Because you'll be able to purchase drinks and food (snacks) at the Granite Park Chalet, you'll be able to lighten your load a bit as well  - making your trek a little bit easier. In case you  weren't aware, you will have to pay for a shuttle to take you back to Logan Pass.

BTW, I wouldn't start this hike in the dark - definitely wait until sunrise. You'll want to be able to see the scenery as well as your footing along the ledge section at Logan Pass.

I would agree with RobinHood - Piegan Pass is an awesome hike http://www.hikinginglacier.com/piegan-pass.htm. Many people like Dawson Pass out of Two Medicine, but I personally think Pitamakan Pass http://www.hikinginglacier.com/pitamakan-pass.htm is more scenic - however you could do both in one day (about 14 miles or so). One other must-do hike is Cracker Lake in Many Glacier: http://www.hikinginglacier.com/cracker-lake.htm

Good luck!

So many hike, so little time.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Mar. 25 2013, 11:01 am)
So many hike, so little time.

Same problem we had in Yellowstone and Grand Teton last year...
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 31 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(medicmom @ Mar. 25 2013, 8:54 am)
We were originally thinking of hiking from Logan Pass to the Loop but after looking into it further, decided going to Many Glacier might be a nicer hike.

We will be staying 4 full days in Waterton Lakes and then moving to St. Mary Campground in Glacier for 5 days.  I would will certainly look into all the hiking suggestions.  We do want to spend a day visiting the Blackfeet Indian Reservation but most of our trip will be hiking.  Any suggestions on "must-do" things is very welcome!  This will be our first time to the area.

Don't stay at ST Mary campground.  I would rate this campground dead last among all glacier campgrounds.  Maybe stay down the road at Rising Sun.  I would assume your doing this maybe because your going to reserve this spot.  Don't.  Take your chances and get a spot at one of the other locations.  So, so, so much better to stay at many glacier campground, or two medicine.

Why 4 days in waterton and 1 day on the reservation?  Just curious, kind of think your wasting your time in the wrong places here.  If this is going to be your only trip out here, don't waste your time with this.  Waterton is neat, but not worth 4 days.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Mar. 31 2013, 11:46 pm)
1 day on the reservation?

I was curious about that as well.

--------------
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 01 2013, 11:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We will have 9 full days to spend in the area.  The thinking for 4 days in Waterton is to be able to take the boat down into the northern part of  Glacier to do some hiking there.  Maybe I am misunderstanding things, but I thought that was the only way to access that part of the park for dayhiking?

We are looking at 5 days in Glacier with one of those set aside to visit the reservation.  Should we plan more than 1 day there?  Obviously there will be more that we would like to do than we will be able to do.  

And yes, the thinking behind St. Mary's campground is the ability to get reservations.  We don't want to be coming all the way from Indiana and not be able to get a campsite.  It also seemed to be closer to the trails we are most interested in and the reservation.  We spend very little time actually in camp.
 Post Number: 13
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I worked in Glacier for a summer and all the hikes listed above I did in a day and they were at the top of the list of best ones I did. I wouldn't worry about spending too much time on the reservation, 1 day should be enough. I think the Highline to Swiftcurrent Pass is a lot better then to the Loop. Once you start heading downhill the views aren't anything special.

The Dawson-Pitamakin loop is a great day and one of the best trail in the park IMO. My favorite hike which is a little longer is from Jackson Glacier Overlook to Lake McDonald via Gunsight Pass. I wouldn't try this until mid-late July at the earliest.

Cracker Lake is a great hike in the Many Glacier area that doesn't get the same crowds like the conga line to Iceberg Lake.

Other recommendations:
-Siyeh Pass (with possible off trail climb to Mt. Siyeh)
-Maybe spend a day up near Bowman/Kintla Lakes, a lot less people
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Couldn't agree with MicStaff more.  All the hikes he mentioned are great.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 02 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks again for the suggestions!  I read guidebooks and get ideas of what I'd like to do but it's always hard to narrow down the choices.  It certainly helps to hear from people who know the area.

How awesome to spend a whole summer working in a National Park!  I actually talked to a couple seasonal workers at Yellowstone last year about working in the health clinic since they do employ paramedics.  Really just a chit chat and a pipedream since I'm pretty much locked into my Midwest career but fun to think about.  The conversation came up while waiting for one of the less predictable geysers (Grand).  Never did see the geyser erupt but got to meet some interesting people.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 03 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes glad I had the opportunity to do that. Now that I am like you locked into a career here in the Midwest. I always love to talk about Glacier any chance I get.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(medicmom @ Apr. 01 2013, 11:52 am)
We will have 9 full days to spend in the area.  The thinking for 4 days in Waterton is to be able to take the boat down into the northern part of  Glacier to do some hiking there.  Maybe I am misunderstanding things, but I thought that was the only way to access that part of the park for dayhiking?

We are looking at 5 days in Glacier with one of those set aside to visit the reservation.  Should we plan more than 1 day there?  Obviously there will be more that we would like to do than we will be able to do.  

And yes, the thinking behind St. Mary's campground is the ability to get reservations.  We don't want to be coming all the way from Indiana and not be able to get a campsite.  It also seemed to be closer to the trails we are most interested in and the reservation.  We spend very little time actually in camp.

Whatever you decide to do, it will be a great trip.  Its a wonderful place.  

So your coming to glacier for 9 days, and spending more than half of that time outside the park (waterton 4 days, reservation 1 day).  why?  Glacier is far and away the main attraction, the big dog.   See it, don't waste your time in other places.  

You can do waterton in a day, plus a night.  And save the reservation for your next trip.  Except for the view from prince of wales hotel, and a few spots in the backcountry that your not going to visit, glacier np is way, way more scenic than waterton.

Many Glacier is a much, much better 4 day option than waterton.  So is two medicine.   So it the Northfork.  This is coming from someone who has worked, lived, and spents months upon months exploring this park.  Look at it this way, every year I have friends and family come to visit and have me show them these areas.  Never have I taken anyone to waterton.  If I had 2 weeks to show someone glacier, maybe I would spend 2 days in waterton, and just one night.  The only place we would go on the reservation is charlies for drinks and maybe east glacier for a good meal.

Sorry if I come across as a jerk, but I just don't understand why your spending so much of your trip outside of glacier

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

100% agree with Robin Hood
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well it looks like Waterton isn't working out for us anyway so we'll take the advice and spend more time Glacier.  I'm still nervous about not getting reservations so I added two more days which will give us 8 full days.  Still plan to visit the reservation for a day (I want to go to the museum).  I will certainly look into the suggested trails.  I appreciate all the advice!

When we were in Yellowstone last year, we talked to an older gentleman that told us about a good place to see grizzlies in Glacier.  He said you hiked to a lake and there was a bear den across the lake so it was a very safe way to view the bears from a distance.  I swear he told me it was Copper Lake but I cannot find a Copper lake in Glacier.  Cobalt Lake maybe?  Do bears tend to den in the same place each year?  We would love to see bears but to be quite honest, they make me nervous.  I'd love to be able to see them with a body of water between us and them!
 Post Number: 20
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hit the swiftcurrent Motor Inn parking lot some evening and catch 'em frollicking on the slopes.  Bring a spotting scope of binoculars.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(dorfinator @ Apr. 13 2013, 5:03 pm)
Hit the swiftcurrent Motor Inn parking lot some evening and catch 'em frollicking on the slopes.  Bring a spotting scope of binoculars.

Great suggestion!  I used to work there at the swift camp store.  There are always people in the parking lot scoping out the bears.  Most of them will let you use their scopes to.  

The Many Glacier Valley is one of the heaviest grizzly areas of the park.  You can also see lots of grizz just by hiking the iceberg lake trail, swift pass trail, or any of the trails by swiftcurrent lake.  Grinnel Glacier Trail is another hot spot for grizz.  Once, before working the afternoon shift at the camp store, I hiked up towards Iceberg lake and ran into 2 grizz on the trail.  After stopping for a bit, more grizzlies appeared.  Soon there were 8 grizzlies, all within 100  yards of the trail, all in my view.  Crazy.  Then I had to hike back down to work.  By myself.  Awesome.

Most of the bears here are somewhat habituated, although not bad, just to the point they tolerate people just a little bit.  Actually, I think they use this corridor as a safe haven from the big boars that wont mess with them down here, because those guys like to stay away from people.  There are so many people hiking the trails here everyday, that your pretty safe.  There have been a few incidents over the years, but all where surprise encounters, and also include trail runners, which Im not a fan of in this area.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 11:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(medicmom @ Apr. 13 2013, 4:51 pm)
Well it looks like Waterton isn't working out for us anyway so we'll take the advice and spend more time Glacier.  I'm still nervous about not getting reservations so I added two more days which will give us 8 full days.  Still plan to visit the reservation for a day (I want to go to the museum).  I will certainly look into the suggested trails.  I appreciate all the advice!

When we were in Yellowstone last year, we talked to an older gentleman that told us about a good place to see grizzlies in Glacier.  He said you hiked to a lake and there was a bear den across the lake so it was a very safe way to view the bears from a distance.  I swear he told me it was Copper Lake but I cannot find a Copper lake in Glacier.  Cobalt Lake maybe?  Do bears tend to den in the same place each year?  We would love to see bears but to be quite honest, they make me nervous.  I'd love to be able to see them with a body of water between us and them!

I don't know of copper lake, it might be cobalt lake.  However, sounds like he was talking about the pitamakin sow that used to den on old man lake below pitamakin pass.  That's maybe 15 miles north of cobalt, same general are of two medicine.  She was always a guarantee when you where in the area.  Otherwise, not sure what he was talking about.  Unfortunately, they had to shoot that sow back a few years ago.  Sucks, but she would have killed someone eventually, she was a crazy bear.  Saw first hand what she would do, more than once.  Surprised she lasted as long as she did, doing what she would do

--------------
21 replies since Mar. 24 2013, 11:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Highline/Swiftcurrent Pass Dayhike?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions