2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Wind River Trip Planning Help< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Blair50 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 10:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of my buddies called me up asking for trip advice for a Wind River Trip.  They are interested in catching good numbers of decent sized trout and spending time in the mountains away from people.  I know one of the guys is in great shape, but I have played sports with the other and I know that he will be struggling on any mountain trail.  Their trip criteria is that they want to catch lots of fish, stay on a trail, see very few people, keep the hike in around 10 miles, and they are looking to base camp.  

Based on the criteria above, I attempted to persuade them to consider the beartooths as I was having trouble coming up with something that meets that in the winds.  However, they want to stick with the winds and I am determined to give them the best possible advice I can.

I have passed through the Trapper, Cutthroat, and No Name Lakes area and this was my first recommendation.  Starting from Spring Creek Park, it is a bit over the 10 miles they were looking for. However, when I was there I had good fishing and solitude.

The other option would be to start at Elkhart Park and head up to Cook Lakes via the Pole Creek Trail.  I have heard rumor of good fishing in the area, but I have never ventured into this area.  Can anyone speak to the fishing, solitude, difficulty, ect of this area?

Are there any other areas might I be overlooking that would fit what they are looking for?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2013, 10:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Size, quantity what are they really looking for ??

Though I personally think the BT's have a better managed fishery stocking system, I still, hands down, prefer The Winds just for the scenery alone.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 3
Eagle48 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can vouch for good fishing in the Cook Lakes area, size isn't great, but you can catch brookies to your hearts content, and Wall Lake is reported to have good sized goldens, though I didn't fish it when I went by last year.  From what I've heard, I was just unlucky in when I was in the area as there were several groups there, but it's generally not crowded from what I've been told.

I've had much better fishing in the BT's without question, and would recommend Dewey Lake as a base camp making sure to get off trail a good ways to set up camp to avoid the other folks traveling on the beaten path.  Unlike swims, I would do whatever you could to send them to the BT's, I just like that area 10-1 over the winds.

--------------
I live to be outdoors.
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On a trip a few years ago we knocked them dead in the lakes from Lee Lake  (West side) to Upper Golden Lake  (east side).  Cuts, Bows, Golds.  Just get up against the divide at least a day in from the trailhead, stay away from the main used lakes, hit the off trail ones.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SWT: I know some of the lakes up there have an extreme abundance of little fish, others have a very few big fish, others have a good number of average fish, and others may have any combination of the above.  They are most interested good numbers of average sized fish.

Eagle, thanks for the info.  Does anyone have information on the lakes before one gets to Cook Lake?  I am eyeing the pole creek lakes and 1000 island lake (my earthwalk map makes it hard to distinguish which lakes are the pole creek lakes?).

Thanks again.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2013, 9:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Blair50 @ Apr. 07 2013, 8:19 pm)
A couple of my buddies called me up asking for trip advice for a Wind River Trip.  

Their trip criteria is that they want to catch lots of fish, stay on a trail, see very few people, keep the hike in around 10 miles, and they are looking to base camp.  

You'll be hard pressed to do that at either the BT's or Winds !!

10 mi won't separate you from the TH crowds since that's just a day hike round trip.

If they can tolerate crowds to keep their mileage to <10 mi, than I'd suggest the Chain Lks area in the Winds, or the Jasper/Cloverleaf Lks in the BT's

--------------
 Post Number: 7
UTJetdog Search for posts by this member.
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Blair50 @ Apr. 08 2013, 6:09 pm)
Does anyone have information on the lakes before one gets to Cook Lake?  I am eyeing the pole creek lakes and 1000 island lake.

Pole Creek Lake & 1000 Island Lake are good places to catch a lot of fish, but they are high traffic areas being at the the intersection of major trails near an uber popular trailhead.  

As SWT mentioned, Chain Lakes would be just a little farther and would allow more solitude with some good day hike options for good fishing.  They could come up from Meadow Lake, but Elkhart would probably be best for the group you described.

Here is a good day hike from Chain Lakes:  MAP

Here is a view from the east side of Middle Chain Lake looking north towards Pole Creek Lake

Here's a view from Barnes Lake looking northeast at Mt. Baldy:

Hope that helps a little.

--------------

N 40.387763 W 111.816942 Elev. 4632
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info!

Are the lakes in the Chain Lakes area mostly cuts or brookies or a mix of both?
 Post Number: 9
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually Blair, the route you mentioned out of Spring Creek Park is not a bad first trip to the Winds for fisherman. I am going to do a 7 day loop there myself come August. Neil lakes, both upper and lower are full of 10-15 inch Cuts and a few Rainbows. No Names, Cutthroats, Palmer, Borum,Pochahontas (off trail Cuthroats) Dean, Lost Camp (Brookies, and slightly off trail) Heart (Rainbows) Section Corner, Trapper etc., on and on......all these, and more present decent fishing opportunities as long as you are not desiring 20 inch fish. And...you won't really see that many  people on this lower bench of lakes and trails, as most people are passing thru on their way to the highline trail for thru hiking.

A few years ago I saw a pack of Wolves in the Neil Lakes area one evening. A nice addition to Wilderness treavel fer sure.

Enjoy, whatever your choice may entail
 Post Number: 10
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Blair50 @ Apr. 09 2013, 4:39 pm)

More Cutties in the Chain Lakes themselves, but if you go east toward Baldy Lake and the Bell Lakes area you'll find Brookies.  We even found some decent Browns in some of the streams just south of Chain Lakes.

And there was one lake that had some especially interesting Cutts

--------------

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow!  That is a nice high mountains trout!  

Thank you guys so much for all the helpful information!  It will be a tough call, but it looks like it will be pretty hard to go wrong in any of the areas mentioned.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(UTJetdog @ Apr. 10 2013, 9:50 am)

(Blair50 @ Apr. 09 2013, 4:39 pm)

.. there was one lake that had some especially interesting Cutts

What's so interesting about that ?? Looks like all the other average central Winds Cutts' to me.

I've caught MUCH larger Cutt's in that same general area, give or take a couple of miles or so  :cool:
The Chain Lks are predominately a Cutt fishery.  Spruce lake , just below Chain used to be one of the few outstanding Rainbow fisheries on the W Slope not too long ago, but "real" Rainbows haven't been stocked anywhere in years due to whirling disease.

Actually, Baldy/Bell are good Cutt fisheries, the brookies are better back in the Pole Crk drainage, as well as some pretty decent Lake Trout.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Apr. 09 2013, 8:05 pm)
Actually Blair, the route you mentioned out of Spring Creek Park is not a bad first trip to the Winds for fisherman. I am going to do a 7 day loop there myself come August. Neil lakes, both upper and lower are full of 10-15 inch Cuts and a few Rainbows. No Names, Cutthroats, Palmer, Borum,Pochahontas (off trail Cuthroats) Dean, Lost Camp (Brookies, and slightly off trail) Heart (Rainbows) Section Corner, Trapper etc., on and on......all these, and more present decent fishing opportunities as long as you are not desiring 20 inch fish. And...you won't really see that many  people on this lower bench of lakes and trails, as most people are passing thru on their way to the highline trail for thru hiking.

A few years ago I saw a pack of Wolves in the Neil Lakes area one evening. A nice addition to Wilderness travel fer sure.

Enjoy, whatever your choice may entail

+1

I'm glad you mentioned that "tamarac"  :;):

As good as the fishing can be at the Chain Lks vicinity, it's also horsepacker central and all of their tent cities.

The few times I've made the grunt up the big hill from Spring Creek TH, I've never seen a soul until Cutthroat Lks. and even past there, it's usually pretty empty.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 12 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Apr. 10 2013, 7:56 pm)
What's so interesting about that ?? Looks like all the other average central Winds Cutts' to me.

I've caught MUCH larger Cutt's in that same general area, give or take a couple of miles or so  :cool:

Well, the 3 or 4  18"-22" fish outta that one lake weren't average for our trip.  ...So that made them a little more interesting...  YMMV

--------------

Post Number: 15
Kuzma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before going to trip you should make plan for all tour and pack all necessary grocery and cloths according to weather. All the members provide good information and suggestions you can get benefits from these.
 Post Number: 16
Kuzma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kuzma @ Apr. 18 2013, 2:47 pm)
Before going to trip you should make plan for all tour and pack all necessary grocery and cloths according to weather. All the members provide good information and suggestions you can get benefits from these.

Any comments?

assisted living queensland
15 replies since Apr. 07 2013, 10:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Wind River Trip Planning Help
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions