2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Recommendations on a 3-day Glacier trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wngmv Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 2:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi guys. Longtime peeping on the forum and I've finally decided to go backpacking in Glacier this summer. I'm trying to find a 3-day itinerary that does not involve tons of elevation gain. I have been day hiking for a long time, and can comfortably finish 13-mile hikes with over 3000 ft gains with a 3.0 mph moving average in the Midwest. I'll begin training with a backpack soon, but I'm not sure if I can handle more than 10 miles per day with gains over 3000 ft in Glacier.

That being said, I'm looking into the following ones and need your advice: (around early August,maybe starting from 4th.)

1. Starting from Many Glacier,  POI -ELF, then back to Many Glacier. I heard ELF is kinda hard to get.

2. Gunsight Passes. Starting from Lake McDonald then SPE - GUN and arriving at GTTR.

3. Two Medicine area. OLD - NON - going back to Two Medicine.

I'm considering rent a car so as long as we can go back to the trailhead by shuttle or other transportation I'm up for through hikes.

Comments and other options? Especially for the loops, which direction is the easier one?

Thanks a lot!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2013, 6:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

#1   This is OK but  you'd have to do some serious climbing on your second and 3rd days.  I'd suggest getting a passport and doing Chief Mountain Customs to Goat Haunt.  Stay at either GAB or COS your first night > MOL or GLH night 2 > STO or KOO your last night.  This is a little bit longer hike but the first two days are as easy as it gets in Glacier. Day three could be a bear but the area around Stoney Indian Pass will make you forget you're tired. Take the ferry back to Waterton.  I'm not sure what the regs are for the GPI shuttle to get you from Waterton back to the states but somebody should be able to chime in.

#2.  Good choice except finish at Lake McD lodge and spend your second night at ELL so  you can add a third night at SPE.  This is a short day so you can set up camp at SPE and dayhike up to Sperry Glacier after grabbing a delicious, albeit pricey, lunch at the Sperry Chalet.

#3.  Is good as is.  Some prefer going ccw, I think it's a better hike going clockwise.  You could add a 3rd night at Upper Two Med Lake if you wish.

Have fun
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree, both options 2 and 3 fit your criteria.  You wont go wrong with either one.  

Another reason to finish option 2 at lake McDonald is because its less elevation gain going from east to west.  That's a steep climb going up to sperry and elen Wilson from lake mcdonald

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks a lot guys! I'll submit for 2 and 3 then. Then I'm off sacrificing goats and virgins for the blessing of RNG God.

After the backpacking trip, is it still worth it to go on a day hike from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet/Swiftcurrent Pass?

Thanks again
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wngmv @ Apr. 10 2013, 10:42 am)
After the backpacking trip, is it still worth it to go on a day hike from Logan Pass to Granite Park Chalet/Swiftcurrent Pass?

I'd definitely say yes, but I guess that depends on how you feel after your backpack trip.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Let's wait and see. thanks for your opinions all!
 Post Number: 7
sambisu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 6:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We hiked from Two Medicine to St Mary last year.  I haven't seen the rest of the park and I'm sure there are plenty of amazing areas, but I can vouch that the trail we took was amazing.

So we covered a most of your #3 itinerary I believe.  Camped at No Name and Oldman.  Both were really nice sites.  The hike around from Dawson pass to Pitamakan pass and down the Oldman Lake was one of my favorite parts of our trip.

For a taste, this is a picture I took a little ways from Dawson pass, looking down at Oldman Lake.

Glacier-275
6 replies since Apr. 09 2013, 2:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Recommendations on a 3-day Glacier trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions