2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Still winter up high< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 11:55 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The temp at my place -- ~ 5,300 ft just east of Denver -- is 41* at 10:00 am Sunday April 14.     Snow, at this level, is in the forecast and chain laws are in effect on I-70 close to the Eisenhower Tunnel -- just over 11,000 ft --  and over Loveland Pass almost 12,000 ft.

Just a little reminder to those in other parts of the country, that winter is not over in the high country.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jon is in freezing rain and getting ready to stop up on I29 near the SD/ND border.  The interstate is closed from Montana to Minnesota across North Dakota.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 10:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

20s and snowing at my place (~4800') yesterday and again this morning.
Last week I took the dog out at 4:30am, came back in at 4:45 with a few flakes swirling around, walked out at 5 to 2" on the ground. 4WD and 15 minutes to cover 5 miles with visibility less than 50'.

Winter is still here.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 4
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There calling for snow here on the valley floor in slc over the next few days.  Not sure if that will happen, but it was absolutely freezing up in the hills above the u of u this morning.  On I 80 they had the warnings up that the road was closed in Wyoming, imagine that was for snow.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Up High" ?

NOAA is now predicting a 3 day storm with 7-15" forecasted in town, that's supposed to skip Denver and points south, starting tomorrow.

7-15" in the forecast.

The mountains/Foothills were a gorgeous, fresh snow white, on my drive down to work this morning.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Apr. 14 2013, 10:02 pm)
"Up High" ?

Yes, "Up High".

I meant what I said.  I suspect that there is not a single person coming to this forum for information about the conditions in town.   They want to know about the mountains, ya know for a backpacking trip.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I want to know what the weather will be like in town, I'll check with Maureen

She may not know any more about the weather than Dave, but she's easier to look at.
 Post Number: 8
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I expect snow through May above 5000 feet.  But I live at 650 feet and we are suppose to get a dusting come Saturday, even though it will be 72 today.
 Post Number: 9
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bah. It just takes a little more gear to make mountain conditions backpackable.

And maybe a little avy awareness. :p
 Post Number: 10
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MsDoolittle @ Apr. 15 2013, 9:05 am)
Bah. It just takes a little more gear to make mountain conditions backpackable.

And maybe a little avy awareness. :p

Yep.  The people in Washington, who are the latest victims of an avalanche, could have used a bit more awareness.

--------------

Post Number: 11
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Dave was just pointing out that with snow at lower levels as well, there will no doubt be mucho snow 'up high'

He wasn't trying to be a smartass I don't think Deb.
 Post Number: 12
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

35 degrees at noon in eastern Idaho (5000 ft elev) today, with wind and sunny skies.  We got just a skiff of snow yesterday, but an hour north and another 1000 feet higher got a pretty good storm.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 13
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Apr. 16 2013, 12:37 pm)
I think Dave was just pointing out that with snow at lower levels as well, there will no doubt be mucho snow 'up high'

He wasn't trying to be a smartass I don't think Deb.

BINGO !!

This photo was taken at my house this morning, "in town" just a 20 min bike pedal away from the mountains/ aka "High Country".

I could drag out all of the other photo's I've posted to the consider time of year thread, but it would just be easier to just bump it like this.

But I can't resist posting this image (not mine) from a couple of years ago taken over  Memorial Day Weekend at Buffalo Pass (Zirkel Wilderness)

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
12 replies since Apr. 14 2013, 11:55 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Still winter up high
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions