2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Thru hike of the COLORADO TRAIL< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
BigAL Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 8:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys im an experienced hiker who is relatively new to backpacking and brand new to this forum. I need help on a estimate of size pack and weight ill need for a one month backpacking trip with weekly resupply's. Im taking the trip in july so im in the early stages of planning, so i dont need a gear list just a estimate on pack size and weight. Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, how do you expect us to give you weight estimates if we have no clue what your gear is?

If you are going to resupply, you will not be carrying food for a full month.

There are loads of resources available to you.  Below are just a few.

http://www.downthetrail.com/hiking-the-colorado-trail/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Trail

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....d=34313

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I did that trail, my pack was between 40 and 50 pounds.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my 115 mile, 13 day trip thru the Winds, I had a Granite Gear Vapor Latitude (3800ci).  Sewed up two 8" silnylon for the outside.  Carried all my food plus camera gear, fishing gear.  Total weight without water was 41 lbs.  As we used up food I could get rid of the outside tubes.  This way I didn't have to get a really big pack.....
 Post Number: 5
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And I am sure that some have done it with a 30 pound pack.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys. Again sorry for the lack of detail and gear list. Im shooting for about 35-40lbs of gear. Im only about 125lbs and although im in good shape anything 40lbs+ will be a challenge. How many liters usually hold the weight range im looking for?
 Post Number: 7
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 1:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do it unsupported, like Golite founder, Coup Coupanis, did in 2007. It only took him 19 days...
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 7:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would shoot for a base pack weight of 25-30 lbs.  At the begining of each week you're going to be carrying another 15 lbs of food, and another 2 lbs for water.
 Post Number: 9
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 2:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a 65-75 liter pack should do it easily.  You may be able to get away with a smaller pack.  It all depends on what kind of comforts you like to take with you.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks! So Far i have been looking at the osprey atmos 65L and the 70L Aether pack. What brand/model would you guys personally recommend for a 65-70L pack?
 Post Number: 11
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 10:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BigAL @ Apr. 16 2013, 2:38 pm)
Thanks! So Far i have been looking at the osprey atmos 65L and the 70L Aether pack. What brand/model would you guys personally recommend for a 65-70L pack?

Personally I would go as small as possible.  The more space you have the more weight you will shove into it.

--------------

Post Number: 12
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Priorities

1.  Boots (or hiking shoes) the lighter the better.  Every lb on your feet feels like 5 on your back.

2.  Sleeping bag and pad.  I like Big Agnes integrated sleep system, but YMMV.  Down is expensive, but you can save a fair amount of weight, and dampness is usually not a big issue in the dry high Colorado climate.

3.  Tent or tarp - opportunity for big weight savings here.

4.  As Deborah mentioned, don't bring too much crap.  On a cold night before turning in, you should be wearing every stitch of clothing you brought, except maybe a spare pair of underwear and socks.  I bring one pair of loose wool/synthetic blend socks just to sleep in, and two pair of mid-weight merino wool hiking socks for everyday use.

The one cup-one saucer, one spork (and one billie pot for cooking or boiling water) KISS cooking system (of freezer bag cooking) works well.

It really isn't hard to get your pack weight (sans food) down to 25 lbs or less.

The normal rule of thumb is not to exceed 1/3 body weight, which for you would be a little over 40 lbs.  When you get close to that, you will really feel that extra 5 lbs if you can shave it off.
 Post Number: 13
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BigAL @ Apr. 16 2013, 2:38 pm)

Whichever one fits you best.  We can't answer that for you.  If you have a chance, go to an outfitter store (REI or whatever is near you) and try on all the packs you can, with weight in them.  Get what fits and feels best.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 14
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I did the PCT right out of college, I was 135 pounds carrying a 60-pound pack after a re-supply.  I was not yet in shape, and almost quit the first week.  But, I had 7-10 days between supply drops for most of the trip.  You'll have it easier here in Colorado.

--------------
I love the mountains!
13 replies since Apr. 15 2013, 8:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Thru hike of the COLORADO TRAIL
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions