2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for ideas/Invite - Wyoming< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hekeim Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 20 2013, 12:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This thread is for multiple reasons:

1.  Introduction - I'm new here, and would like to introduce myself.  My name is Heath, and am a 32 year old teacher in Wyoming.   I've been reading quite a bit, and have strolled throught the posts for a few months now.

2.  I'm looking for suggestions for backpacking trips.  I'm not only new to the forum, but also to backpacking.  I'm planning on taking my first trip this summer, and am hoping for cloud peak or wind rivers area, but am open to others.  Being new, and not in great shape, I'm looking for some easier trails, but would prefer to stay away from crowds.  Fishing would be nice, but not a deal breaker without.  Wanting to travel with my dog.

3.  Invitation - just seeing if anyone is going to be backpacking in the area that would be willing/wanting to have a tenderfoot tag along.  I do have quite a bit of outdoor experience, just no backpacking experience.  I'd like to learn from some experience people out there.

I may add that I'm looking for 3-5 day trips.  Because of my conditioning levels at the moment, 5-8 mile days could be my range.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mostly Dayhiker in Jackson area here. I know the NE Wind Rivers pretty darn well. I would REALLY think about the Absaroka too. I'm 49, got fat over the winter.

I'm probably not terribly compatible with you in terms of distance/hiking times but I can at least give you all kinds of ideas if you buy a good map and give me a call.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Apr. 22 2013, 9:00 am)
I'm 49, got fat over the winter.

:D  Haven't we all.......
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Double Cabin, I appreciate it.  Right now, I have a book covering the Wind River areas.  I'll do some more research on the Absoraka area, and get back to you when I know what I'm talking about a little better.

Like I said, I'm pretty open to anything.  I just want to get out and give this a try.  Everything in my imagination says that I'll like backpacking, but need to get out to know for sure.
 Post Number: 5
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ralph Maughn & Lee Mercer's "Hiking Wyoming's Teton & Washakie Wilderness Areas" is a good one. Check out the Absaroka, Southwest Absaroka, and SE Absaroka Pages at Summit Post dot org.

http://www.summitpost.org/southwest-absaroka-range/382557

http://www.summitpost.org/southeast-absaroka-range/518498

http://www.summitpost.org/absaroka-range/170852

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 6
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 26 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 56 and been going to the Winds for decades now.

I would recommend going to Elkhart Park and doing a several day trip from there to see how you like it. EP is about 9400 ft, so it's an easy start compared to most trailheads, especially in the Winds.
 Post Number: 7
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2013, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey man, I responded to your pm.  Your more than welcome to come along with me this summer on a trip.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 8
wycanislatrans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are you in Wyo?

I spend most of my time on the Eastern Yellowstone/Absoroka front. Swing on over anytime.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wycanislatrans @ May 11 2013, 11:19 am)
Where are you in Wyo?

I spend most of my time on the Eastern Yellowstone/Absoroka front. Swing on over anytime.

I'm in the Casper area.  Not really very close, but appreciate it.  I'll look you up a little later.
8 replies since Apr. 20 2013, 12:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for ideas/Invite - Wyoming
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions