2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: wind river range - Dinwoody Creek question, wind river range - Dinwoody Creek questi< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingfan4sure Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2013, 9:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anybody know if the Dinwoody Creek is navigable/floatable by Alpacka Scout raft in late August/early September?

I'm considering a route from Blaurock Pass to Downs Fork.

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2013, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Late August early September is a good time frame, but it depends on runoff and how wet of spring that region gets basically, as in all years.

Dinwoody Creek is a glacier blue color the times I have seen it and of course exceedingly cold.

The sections I have seen, from what I remember, (and I was there in late August) seem to be navigable.

But of course every summer if different.
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 12:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's many miles of stumbling over house sized, unstable talus from Blaurock Pass to even reach the trickle of the headwaters of Dinwoody "CREEK" at the snout of the Glaciers.

Flows ebb and go depending on the solar melting on the glaciers above, At 5-7 AM in the morning you can walk across the "CREEK" (not river, not stream) without getting your boots wet as it plunges over many steep miles of boulders.

In the afternoon, it's a gushing torrent of Class 10 rapids.

Yes, Class 10, even though there is no such thing , but that's what Dinwoody would rate if it were even remotely "navigable" !!

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This photo gave me hope: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/18383598
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingfan4sure @ Apr. 24 2013, 4:25 pm)

You mean this one, the meadow at the Klondike Crk confluence, dead center at this Google Earth screen shot , from roughly the same vantage point ??

Once you slog down the miles of talus from Blaurock Pass and manage to ford the head waters of Dinwoody Crk, you will eventually come to a series of short meadows, Wilson Meadows and Big Meadows being the largest at ~ 1/2 to 3/4 mi long.

The meadow in the photo is the next one below Wilson Meadows.

Each meadow down the drainage is separated by a series of falls/cascades. You can easily see the long set of falls separating Wilson Meadows from the Klondike confluence above the meadow, in the full size photo you linked.

Each meadow, "I suppose" would considered navigable for ~ 1/2 mi, followed by a 1/2 mile of falls /rapids before the next flat water.

So "I suppose" there's ~ 1-2 mi of "navigable" water total between Blaurock Pass and Downs Fork.

But the larger question remains, how in Hades are you going to get a pack raft up Blaurock Pass from the east to begin with ?? That's 3 days from any TH, and over one of the nastiest passes in the Winds.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5lbs of paddle and raft...deflated and stowed the Scout is 6" X 20" and the paddles break down into five pieces: www.alpackaraft.com

Last year I strung together a number of unnamed lakes, crossed the divide to Camp Lake, then up to the string of Alpine Lakes next to the Brown Cliffs (sadly where that minister lost his life) then up and over Alpine Pass, across Knifepoint glacier and over Indian Pass back to Elkhart. You can portage or deflate and inflate easily, so if I wanted to take a break from the hiking, avoid loose talus or bushwacking, I'd take a short cut across any water along the way.

It was fun to tie the hiking and the paddling together and felt safer to avoid some of the steeper sections near the Alpine lakes where the talus is loose and the safe route for solo hikers is circuitous.

One must only learn to keep the raft on the opposite side of the pack from the crampons and ice axe, and to lay the pack down in the raft with crampons and axe away from the tubes!

From your description and photos it doesn't look worth the effort. Thank you for your time.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2013, 11:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingfan4sure @ Apr. 24 2013, 8:40 pm)
5lbs of paddle and raft...deflated and stowed the Scout is 6" X 20" and the paddles break down into five pieces: www.alpackaraft.com

Last year I strung together a number of unnamed lakes, crossed the divide to Camp Lake, then up to the string of Alpine Lakes next to the Brown Cliffs (sadly where that minister lost his life) then up and over Alpine Pass, across Knifepoint glacier and over Indian Pass back to Elkhart. You can portage or deflate and inflate easily, so if I wanted to take a break from the hiking, avoid loose talus or bushwacking, I'd take a short cut across any water along the way.

It was fun to tie the hiking and the paddling together and felt safer to avoid some of the steeper sections near the Alpine lakes where the talus is loose and the safe route for solo hikers is circuitous.

One must only learn to keep the raft on the opposite side of the pack from the crampons and ice axe, and to lay the pack down in the raft with crampons and axe away from the tubes!

From your description and photos it doesn't look worth the effort. Thank you for your time.

5 lbs of paddle and raft for a couple of minutes of use in another remote drainage that takes 3-4 days to access, and only 1/2 hr to hike around ?

Are you nuts or are you just trolling in your pack raft.....

By the way, I walked within a few 100 yds' past Mikes still possible warm /cool body that summer while he "possibly" might have been alive.

That's still a living nightmare in my brain, what if I chose a little bit more of a left route through the talus, vs my right route.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow! Nice pics Dave!
 Post Number: 9
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2013, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikingfan,

Are the you one of the couple I met a few years ago at the Wolfe Creek Trailhead that was going to hike to the top of Shoshone Pass and raft down the S. Fork of the Shoshone? That would have been a really bumpy ride too.

Dave,

You ever been to that old "Ghost" town of Dinwoody?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
8 replies since Apr. 22 2013, 9:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply wind river range - Dinwoody Creek question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions