2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: WIND RIVER RANGE pack: July 4-12, from Big Sandy to Green River via Crest< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
melikeethewild Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 12:19 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A buddy and I are flying into Jackson Hole July 4 and want to stay near airport july 12th for a 12pm flight out on the 13th. This is a long-awaited pack to include Lonesome Lake. I had originally hoped to make a juant to Teton Crest, but have decided to spend more time in WRR instead, as we will be tenkara fly fishing and want to soak up the winds.
I was looking at the crest trail: Trip ID 37344

Our issue is whether to rent a car and have it shuttled from Green River to Big Sandy ($$ :( ) or to arrange for shuttling ($?) from airport to Green River with The Great Outdoor Shop. Also, is it possible to arrange for a pick-up shuttle when we arrive at Big Sandy?  Any suggestions?
other thoughts:
-is 8 nights enough to get from Big Sandy to Green River with snow in high passes likely?
-crampons?
-campsites?
-any hot springs on way to WRR or in WRR?
-fishing license?
-fire bans? stove bans?
-maybe make it to Yellowstone before airport to see the geothermal pools before flying out mid day on the 13th?

Any advice is much appreciated as it last trip before buddy has a kid in august!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is tenkara fly fishing?

You will need either a daily or seasonal  fishing liscense to fish the Winds.

Campsites are everywhere.

I think 8 days is enough time to go from Big Sandy to Green River Lakes.
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did 13 days from Sweetwater TH to Green River Lakes TH, granted we did a lot off trail.  I have a post on it in this forum (2009).  I wouldn't plan more than 7 -8 'map' miles, depends how far off trail (highline I assume) you go.  Better fishing off that trail.  I'd skip the Cirque and Lonesome Lake, its overrated.  Your day will be longer, especially trying to fish.  Camping anywhere keep distance from trails, streams, lakes, fire restrictions usually above 10,000ft.  Could be snow still, mosquitos will be fierce usually that time.

Nowdays I would probably carry bear spray....  :)
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First things first. July 4th is really pushing it for a start date, especially with all of the steep off trail passes on your proposed route. You WILL encounter DEEP snow on all of the passes, thanks to this years exceptionally productive late spring snows. That early in the season, your bootprints might be the first on several of them.

Crampons are overkill. In early July, the snow is just starting to set up, just an ice axe and the skill to use it will be absolutely necessary on your route though.

Stream crossings are also going to be huge issue, and can very from scary to deadly. Depending on which crossing you're attempting and whether it's at the crack of dawn, or late afternoon, when the ankle deep predawn "creek" has become a waist deep "river", could be your biggest challenge.  

Given the snow conditions you will be encountering, and not knowing your experience/conditioning levels, I would say 8 days will be far too short for your route.

If you were planning on thru- hiking the more popular Fremont/ Highline Trail, I'd say, 8 days would be fine

Except for the permanent fire/camping bans around the oxymoron "Lonesome Lake" and the above timberline permanent bans , you can have a wood fire on most of your route.  In the spirit of LNT though, I would highly urge you to just use any stove of your choice.

What are you using for "bear-proofing"? There tend to be perpetual nuisance bears around Lonesome Lake due to the exceptionally crowded conditions there, as well as a "Grizzly Bear Advisory" for the northern half of your route with it's attendant mandatory food storage rules.

The one grace in your time selection is that the fishing will still be at it's best and possibly, you "might" beat the peak of mosquito hatch that normally peaks in mid-July, which after a good snow year, can be of "EPIC" proportions, a reason many people dislike the Winds.

As long as you stay off of the Rez, all you will need is a WY fishing license. I like your idea of Tenkara fishing !

"Back in the Day", in the early/mid 70's, when I was making once/twice a summer trips solo climbing/peak bagging and trying to find the remotest routes through the range, I always threw in a 9' 6 wt tapered tippet and a film canister of flies, no rod, no reel.

Since mac and cheese or rice and gravy was about all of the "lightweight" edible food at the time , I would supplant my meager rations whenever I was below timberline by finding an appropriate willow branch, tie my tippet to the end and dip and dink all the Brookies I could eat.

The Cirque/Lonesome lake is majorly over crowded and overrated as a backpacking destination. It IS an internally famous Alpine rock climbing destination that draws 100's of climbers from around the globe on any given week starting ~ July 4th, throw in all of the backpackers on what is a 1 day hike to get there and you have "The Perfect Storm" for the crowds,  camping restriction, bears, noise, etc.

I love climbing at the Cirque, but I just base camp there and expect the crowds, just like camping at Yosemite's Camp 4 climbers camp. There's more spectacular areas than the Cirque that are much less to rarely even traversed.

And there's far better fishing to be had, in equally or better scenery than "The Crest" , itself an oxymoron, since it takes the easiest of all possible "low" routes for it's northern 1/3rd.

There's NO WAY, to see even 10% of the Winds in 8 days. If you really want to experience the Wind's, pick your main objective, then plan on spending your entire 8 days in one area, although a very large area that 8 days, still can't do justice to.

Rock Climbing
Peak Bagging
Fishing
Scenery/Photography
Big Miles
Seclusion
Off-Trail

You'd have to dedicate at least 7-8 days just for the approach/retreat to get here. There's no fish, no trail, and it's in the middle of absolute nowhere, at ~ 12,500' +,  but it's the hands down the "best view" in all of the Winds.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 5
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2013, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale will do whatever you want. They do it all summer. (Pick you up at the Jackson Airport, Shuttle you to any trailhead, Pick you up at any trailhead, Or move y =our vehicle fromone trail head to another.
Call them. Ask them.
Rics, Pinedale, Wyoming

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the beta so far guys!
My buddy and I are pretty avid packers, but are eastern range boys and this is our first trip to Winds. I posted here because I want it to be stellar. Always wanted to see it since my grandfather mentioned it.

[b]Perimeters
:
-flying in to JH July 4 @ 7pm. flying out July 13 12pm.
-renting car unless I can convince budro of shuttles from Great Outdoor Shop,Pinedale. (Thanks Rics). Although a car does allow for two looop hikes

Hopefuls:
Being a maybe once-in-a-lifetime trip, I would like to see the Cirque, but am open to better. We definitely would like to see high cirque-esque towers, some glacier-action, and some primo lunar-esque lakes.
(I am starting to be open to the idea of maybe a southern loop trip to include Cirque of towers -maybe some climbing for my buddy? & Lizard Meadows, then drive up to do a Northern loop trip, maybe to see Gannett Peak?)
-A ridge-line hike or few. Snow not too deep to mean snowshoes.
 ...if no real crampons, what about boot spike strap-ons?
-photographer's hayday. -just got a wide-angle lens. also bringing a small 35mm on a light D40x.
-fishing is a priority, but not our "main objective". Our Tenkara gear will hardly be any extra weight to bear. (excited to get to throw some flies my Gfather threw here 50 yrs ago)
-walking and thinking "I can't believe this is real"..a lot
-camping in places that defy belief, etc. yah yah:D

Our main objective is to see the best of the Winds in the short time we have to give my buddy the views he needs before he watching baby! He just wants it to be less "chancy" so no high passes with axes this time...I understand and will comply :D

Swims with Trout, thanks for all the great tips! That's what I need to hear! Is your Fremont/Highline option such backcountry nirvana I seek? If so, can you give me some more info or direct me to some maps? (I'm looking in the meantime). I was wondering about snow on the high passes this early. We want some snow, but maybe not that much after a productive late spring. Dangerous creek crossings are to be avoided too maybe :O  I am not trained in the ways of the ice axe, but am willing to learn if it means making the trip better.
 If and when we have fires we will be completely responsible and use pre-existing rings or maybe bring a fire-pan. We will have a canister stove and a backup fuel pellet stove for any areas where a responsible small fire is not welcome.
 As far as "bear-proofing" goes, we will be renting a food-canister and using a bear hang or rock hang 300 yds down-wind if possible. We will be carrying a horn each and a can of bear spray between us. Any cooking will also be done far from camp down-wind, any fish eaten right where we catch them cooked on a fire-pan of coals if allowed. (Wash pan and hang with fishing shirt in bear hang).
I like your dinking method you used. These Tenkara rods are crazy-light and compact. bringing 12' TenkaraUSA Iwana rod
 I was hoping to beat the mosquitoes, but will bring a headnet and will be wearing zip-offs and longsleeves.  Ben's wipes will at least be a consolation. Your picture looks nice too! Looks like a gorgeous day for a summit. Maybe another trip

bbobb169- 13 days would be nice, but 8 miles a day sounds better with 2 hours at least a day fishing. Hoping to get to camp early, set up fish later. get up fish early.. some mornings :)[/B]
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

looking to do 50-60mi, with 7 days to hike (8-10mi days with fishing, so set up camp earlier).
Needing to camp close to a trl head or a few miles in night of 4th with a 6pm flight arrival in JH.
Thinking 4hr. drive to Big Sandy trl head, or 3 to Green River, after getting fuel canisters and bear canister rental somewhere. If we dont do a thru, and end up doing two loops, is there a hot springs we could dip in between the two loops, (or is this just too much?) THANKS!
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...Gannett Peak might be to high hopes too
 Post Number: 9
fish4dinner Search for posts by this member.
fish 4 dinner

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

this year July could be a little early depending on Junes temperatures   but if you don't get snow you will have BUGS   :angry:

--------------
jerry lee--
"n between the life we dream and these dark and dusty days,we drive to work make our  plans as time tip toes away.
The music plays from far away a song of circumstance, we step in time or fall behind in someone else's dance/"
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(melikeethewild @ Apr. 29 2013, 9:44 am)
 ...if no real crampons, what about boot spike strap-ons....I am not trained in the ways of the ice axe.

-photographer's hayday. -just got a wide-angle lens. also bringing a small 35mm on a light D40x.

-fishing is a priority, but not our "main objective".

An ice axe is the one essential you WILL need if you plan on any of the off trail passes !!

Traction spikes won't stop your spinning body before you start bouncing off the protruding boulders on the steep snow if /when you slip !!

This photo is from a mid August trip on the pass to Gannett Pk.

A well as the miles of ice fields and crevasses leading up to Gannett Pk.

If you have no clue on how to use an ice axe, then Gannett Peak is absolutely unclimbable. Most parties use ropes, full ice gear etc on the easiest route up Gannett.

An ice axe is a lethal weapon, ask Leon Trotsky who was assassinated with one. If you can't reflexively act at the instant of a slip, than you shouldn't be carrying one or attempting a slope that steep.

Though you keep saying this will be a "once in a lifetime trip",  unless you only have 3 months to live, you still have your whole lifetime to get back there, again and again.... Trying to force the issue to see the entire range and climb peaks beyond your abilities are a sure recipe for disaster !!

The northern Winds, particularly the Titcomb Gorge area is a photographers paradise. You could spend a couple of days just there, with day hikes into the surrounding basins and fill all of your memory cards before your batteries run out.

It's hard to go wrong anywhere in the Wind's for fishing.

But like fish4dinner said, if temps don't really ramp up in June , and the never ending big late spring storms subside, you might need snowshoes to get anywhere the 4th of July.

This is July a few years ago in the Beartooth Mtns., at one of the most popular trail heads, ~ 40 mi north of the Winds.

This was Colorado, the same "summer" over the 4th of July weekend.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2013, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look methinks. You seem young and smart and experienced with wilderness travel. So, just go to the Winds for your first time and enjoy it. This is a place you will come back to many times, face it. The Winds will ruin details. Things will happen that you cannot predict and expect.

You simply cannot plan an extended Winds trip in infinite detail and expect it to be a perfect trip.

Baby steps. Take this as your first trip, do your dapping flyfishing or whatever the Japanese call it, see as much as you can, and know going in that you will back to continue this process.

We all go back to the Winds man. The Winds is not a place, it is an experience and an ongoing on. It's a continuum.

Get what I am saying?
 Post Number: 12
GoWest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My two-cents worth (definitely not as experienced as SWT), we entered from the Green River Lakes area and went to Titcomb Basin and out to Pinedale during a one-week backpack.  The Titcomb Basin is some of the most beautiful alpine scenery in America, and we saw plenty of people in mid-August there.

I found it cheaper to rent a car for an entire week than to pay the outdoor store's prices.  We ended up getting a ride back to our car at Green Lakes.

Like others have said, a great mountain range and you'll need a lifetime of trips to see it all.  Pick a small part and enjoy - and take your bug net!

--------------
Kiss my days, light up my nights.
 Post Number: 13
UTJetdog Search for posts by this member.
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OP, in addition to all of the excellent info. you've already been given I would just add one comment about fishing.  Tenkara tackle is great--for certain conditions, and you should certainly bring it along.  But if that's all you have you will really limit yourself.  Bring along a regular fly rod (9' 4 or 5 wt.) and or a spinning rod to help get you to the fish on the lakes; especially when it is windy.  If you don't, you can certainly catch fish, but you will miss out on a lot of the really good stuff.

I enjoy Tenkara as much as the next guy, but it has its limitations.

Good luck!

--------------

N 40.387763 W 111.816942 Elev. 4632
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I got my map mileage straight. Thanks all for input!

Should have looked through everything before posting, but that partially the reason I posted initially. Gannett will have to wait until later.
Im proposing we go Big Sandy to Boulder Lake Ranch. Anybody advise otherwise?
Anybody vote Titcomb instead?
Could we get to some doable passes in Titcomb?

Here is the route I made:
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2109825

A friend will lend us ice axes for passes after some lessons so we dont weaponize ourselves. How do you think Texas and Washaki Pass will be? We will be ready for snow not too deep. will rent snow shoes if need be.

Hoping to see Washaki and Hooker Glaciers from a distance from their lakes below that will hopefully be full of cracked ice chunk. Then down to more thawed lakes for the Goldens. Hoping mosskeytoes arent too vicious to us. Anybody suspect an elev. melt line for good fishing on our proposed route (above link)?

A buddy is driving to meet us now, so we'll have a car. The Tenkara just so minimal it makes sense, but buddy driving will prob bring a fly/reg rod along.
Will prob have his car ferried to Boulder lake (if we go with route on above link)

Good call on a shorter hike guys. I'd like to come back some day, but it might be a while. We are so amped.

Also, dapping is dangling. Taint gonna be no danglin.
 Post Number: 15
UTJetdog Search for posts by this member.
Wasatch Front

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 5:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(melikeethewild @ May 08 2013, 6:47 pm)
The Tenkara just so minimal it makes sense...

No doubt, and that's why I always carry it.  But it won't let you fish that submerged shelf 40' out where all the big fish are cruising.

Good luck, I hope you have a great trip.  Sounds like an excellent adventure! :cool:

--------------

N 40.387763 W 111.816942 Elev. 4632
 Post Number: 16
rbs10025 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 09 2013, 7:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Melike,

I've done chunks of that route you mapped during a couple hikes in the Winds in 2009 and 2011. See my maps at
http://www.flickr.com/photos....ightbox
http://www.flickr.com/photos....ightbox

Another side to the possible snow problem on the passes is that water level at some fords could be an issue.

One segment on your map that looks like a very long day is going from Pyramid Lake to Dream Lake. I essentially did that plus a bit more than in 2011 (from the lake just below Pyramid to Lightning Lakes) and it's a haul. Pyramid to Dream is around 12 miles, plus you have fords of Washakie Creek and East Fork. Neither of those spots is any trouble in August, but early July?

Rather than doing Dream Lake to Ethel to Boulder Lake trailhead, you could finish with Dream to Divide Lake to Scab Creek. That might be a half-day faster way out, giving you more time to fish or explore earlier in the hike. Maybe (maybe) it might give you time to fish the Bonneville Lakes while on that segment leading to Dream Lake. Or while you're around Pyramid, you could check out the upper East Fork canyon.

Titcomb Basin is amazing, but it has limited ways in and out, and July 4 seems far too early for any of the high passes. A route that passes through Titcomb on a loop rather than going in and coming out the same way likely involves Knapsack Col and Peak Lake. I can't imagine trying to do Knapsack in early July.

BTW: When we were in the Winds in 2009, we got 6 inches of snow on August 15. It actually made the hike more interesting, but it mean re-routing and skipping a pass crossing because of limited time to finish the last half of the hike.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rbs10025 @ May 09 2013, 5:09 pm)
Titcomb Basin is amazing, but it has limited ways in and out, and July 4 seems far too early for any of the high passes. A route that passes through Titcomb on a loop rather than going in and coming out the same way likely involves Knapsack Col and Peak Lake. I can't imagine trying to do Knapsack in early July.

Titcomb Gorge is my pick as the greatest scenic area on the Western Slope of the Winds. (My favorite pick for scenery is still the East Slope Glaciers surrounding Gannett Pk and extending north as far as the eye can see as seen from the west end of Horse Ridge)

That said, there are many ways to get to the Titcomb Gorge, and the Gorge itself deserves at least a 1 night basecamp with a full day spent just dayhiking all the nooks and crannies. Trying to hike through The Gorge in part of a day after crossing Knapsack Col is akin to trying to see Yosemite Valley from inside your car. Too much to see, too little time !!

For the OP's time frame, desire to see a fair bit of the Wind's, no "slip and you'll die" passes, as well as the most "chances" of catching a trout on a Tenkara "stick" ( I still have a hard time calling it a real fishing rod, or paying more than $ 5 for a garage sale "fishin' pole" for the same thing), and the willingness to pay for a shuttle, there are several excellent mini thru trips, given a basecamp near Island Lk, and a dayhike into The Gorge the next day.

I would certainly start at the Glimpse Lk TH, then up to the No- Names/ Cutthroat Lk area, with maybe a possible 'peak bag' of Glover Pk. Then to Elbow Lk, for a chance at Trophy Golden's , though I'm still ROTFLMAO at the chance of getting a line out far enough or deep enough in any of the lakes, where 99.9% of the fish are, but there's plenty of  4-6" Goldens in the feeder streams above, if they're not snowed over. Head past the Jean Lks, ( another Top 5 Wind's "Must See" areas) then over to Island Lk. Basecamp there, and spend the next day exploring "The Gorge/Indian Basin"

After that, you'll have some decisions to make.

#1 just head out to Elkhart Pk. If you choose this route, than you won't need an ice axe anywhere, you'll avoid any life or death snowfields, stream crossings, etc..  and have plenty of time to fish, take photo's etc. without pushing the mileage.

#2  Leave Island Lk and head over Lester Pass to Pole Crk . You could probably leave the ice axe out for Lester Pass, it's pretty shallow on the S Slope, where the big snow field lies, and that early in the season, the boulders in the run-out will still be buried. There's some good fishing for decent sized Lk Trout in a few named/un-named lakes as you get back down towards timberline. (Uup's forgot, you need to get down to 40-60' deep min. with a large "lure".)

After you get down from Lester Pass to Pole Creek it will be gut check time

I've never even bothered counting, or researched the number of bridges across the hundreds of creek/ steam/ river crossings in the Wind's, but I'm pretty certain you can count them all, without taking you're socks off, and maybe even on one hand. Bridges just don't exist in the Wind's and you will be forced to ford every creek to raging river, or cast around the crossing and possible crawl across a downed tree limb.

Pole Creek is one of the nastier crossings, and there are 4 separate crossings because of this. Pole Crk will be a raging torrent by 10 AM in early July and even worse as the day goes on as solar warmth melts more of the snowpack at the headwaters of the drainage.

When you get there, if it looks too difficult, take the faint trail down to the next crossing, and if that looks too bad you're SOL and will have to climb back up and over Lester Pass to option #1.

If you can ford Pole Crk at the first or second lower crossing, head up into Baldy Basin, than over Baldy Pass, and down to the Chain Lks area.

Option #2 exits: By now you are going to be pretty tired. The fastest exit would be down towards Meadow Lk.  I don't know how they charge for shuttle rates, but you can also head back towards Elkhart Pk via the easiest lower Pole Crk. crossing.

Option #3: You could continue S from Chain Lks and exit out at Boulder Crk TH.

The route you charted HERE is still going to be a huge undertaking, and as they say "If you have to Ask ?"

If this is really going to be some sort of Bachelor Party send off, at too early in the season, with neither of you having any experience in the Rockies/ Snow/Ice, etc..  Keep It Safe !  Getting a 1 hr lesson from a "friend"on how to use a loaner ice axe is worse than not taking one.

Opt for Door # 1 above. Glimpse Lk to Elkhart Pk.

The side options are more than enough to fill up your time frame. The scenery is the best of the best on the West Slope, fishing op's will be 2nd to none. No ice axe required,  no flooded steams, just the easiest introduction to the Wind's that you can still tailor to make as gnar as you want.

(Tenkara is fine, but stream dabbling in the Winds is next to none. It's all about the lakes, howling winds, deep fish etc..)

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 3:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whoa.....didn't see that route link (in SWT's post).  That's long.... if its what you're thinking.   I'd go from Washakie to Grave to Pyramid to Raid Pass then to the main trail.  Killer scenery.  Great fishing on "the other side".

We went from Papoose Lk to Skull Lk, a long day, Texas Pass is a haul.

I'd pay attention to SWT.... :D
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey rbs10025, was that mid Aug 2009?  We hit thru that area on a South to North Traverse that next week.....weather was PERFECT then.

I'm still working on a slideshow........PITA.   :)
 Post Number: 20
rbs10025 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 10 2013, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ May 10 2013, 1:52 am)

That said,there are many ways to get to the Titcomb Gorge, and the Gorge itself deserves at least a 1 night basecamp with a full day spent just dayhiking all the nooks and crannies. Trying to hike through The Gorge in part of a day after crossing Knapsack Col is akin to trying to see Yosemite Valley from inside your car. Too much to see, too little time !!

Agreed. Which is why when we did Knapsack last year, we loafed around at Titcomb the next day.

I've never even bothered counting, or researched the number of bridges across the hundreds of creek/ steam/ river crossings in the Wind's, but I'm pretty certain you can count them all, without taking you're socks off, and maybe even on one hand. Bridges just don't exist in the Wind's and you will be forced to ford every creek to raging river, or cast around the crossing and possible crawl across a downed tree limb.

Offhand, I can think of nine bridges I've crossed in the Winds, but six were down low and mostly close to trailheads so they hardly count. The three higher up were at Fremont Crossing, somewhere near Summit Lake, and at Ethel Lake.

Pole Creek is one of the nastier crossings,and there are 4 separate crossings because of this. Pole Crk will be a raging torrent by 10 AM in early July and even worse as the day goes on as solar warmth melts more of the snowpack at the headwaters of the drainage.

What he said.

(bbobb169 @ May 10 2013, 3:59 pm)

Hey rbs10025, was that mid Aug 2009?  We hit thru that area on a South to North Traverse that next week.....weather was PERFECT then.

Mid Aug 2009, yes. Weather was great for much of the trip. So clear the night of the Perseid meteor shower that when Jupiter came up over the ridge I thought someone had lit a bonfire up there. And seeing the Perseids from elevation 11k was another reason I remember that hike fondly. But a day or two later at Middle Fork Lake, we woke up Saturday morning to find it was snowing. It didn't quit til mid afternoon, so we canceled the plan of going over the saddle to Bonneville Lakes because there was no longer time. Did a morning day hike in the melting snow on Sunday and then headed down to Sandpoint Lake. No snow at Sandpoint and clear skies, but Monday morning was frigid.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great info SWT!

Late August would be ideal, but a babe lies in wait. We looked further south on globe originally due to the time, but the vote was still WRR, hoping to see a little winter left. Any flowers out in the lower elevs in early July?

Glimpse Lk to Elkhart Pk loop looks nice. A dip into Titcomb looks fun. I will look more into that trip, thanks.
I believe friend's wife would be happier with fewer possible river rope-ups and high pass-picking. More time to explore the gorge and possible top time on Glover sounds better than having to book it mostly.
The southern range will have to wait.

Look fellas, don't hate on Tenkara. In the eastern range rivers, it is spectacular. The carbon fiber is light and flexes better than a gymnast. Its simple and precise. Its def. not dappity-do-daw-day. The feeder streams and shallower lakes will meet our fish lovin needs.

Any other advice or trip ideas. throw em out there. It's all appreciated.

Also, is Granite Falls hot springs accessible and is it the post-hike hot springs I'm hoping for? If not, is there a hot springs not to far out of the way between Jackson Hole and Pinedale?
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The wild flowers, and the bugs, which go hand in hand chasing the melt-waters, peak in early -mid July so no problem there.

The Titcomb Gorge is the best scenery/photo ops destination on the west side and is the one "Must See" site, for anyone contemplating a one and only trip to the Wind's.

And I'm not dissin Tenkara, since I was doin it Old School back in the 70's, using my leader and willow branch technique trying to add a few 6" Brookies to the pot where I could find them ; but now a days, I'd hate to be walking past multiple lakes, where 99.99% of the fish in the Winds live, with potential for a 20"+ Golden or Cutt, just 30-40' away, without my option to have at least have a 5 wt fly rod to get more reach.

The Wind's are all about Alpine lake fishing, the streams/creeks are by and large too turbulent and steep to support anything over 6-8" in their flat runs; but it IS the premier Range in the US for Alpine lake fishing.

The Wind's are absolutely nothing remotely close to anything "Back East" in regards to fishing.

Adapt and enjoy !

--------------
 Post Number: 23
kkvolk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do the Glimpse/elkhart route suggested by SWT!  you will be blown away by the scenery and not risk your life.  You will not regret making that loop and it will be platny of a challenge.  You may trigger a long term addiction to the Winds, however.
Lots of good advice here and some people who really know.  SWT is THE expert on the Winds and has always given me good advice.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 6:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds great! How about this route, Sat. morn to Fri afternoon?
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2132716

SWT, you assume I dont know lake fishing from stream/river?
We will bring a W fly rig for lakes. Thanks for your advice on fishing.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 8:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(melikeethewild @ May 18 2013, 4:03 pm)
Sounds great! How about this route, Sat. morn to Fri afternoon?
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2132716

SWT, you assume I dont know lake fishing from stream/river?
We will bring a W fly rig for lakes. Thanks for your advice on fishing.

Wow, looks awesome, but that's not quite the route I had in mind when I made my suggestion...  ???  

Let me get this straight. You're going to pack raft across Lower Jean Lake, climb the Class 5 cliffs above, then traverse over three more miles of Class 3/4/5 terrain to end up at "Summer Ice Lk", that is normally frozen except for 4-5 weeks in late Aug-Sept , if that ?

Are you packing ice skates and planning on a new outdoor adventure, Wilderness Ice Skating ?

Cube Rock Pass will really be fun.

Waist deep to deeper snow can punch through and will let you fall into all of the hidden "leg breakers" at the huge rock slide crossing, my greatest fear in the backcountry.

Have you ever read THIS STORY ?

So far, I haven't seen you post a topo, like I just posted above. Do you actually have a set of maps yet, or are you just using your iphone app ?

Forgive me if I dont' know the finer points about Tenkara, I was just pointing out that you need to be able to cast at least 40-50' from shore to even get close to many of the fish.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: May 18 2013, 10:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SWT-
I appreciate your help and you seem to really know WR, but who said anything about rafting a lake and scaling cliffs? My everytrail map of Glimpse to Elkart was roughly plotted. I have tuned it. Please let me know if I have inefficiently plotted.

As far as high country travel goes: Maybe a little snow shoeing, but no, we dont want to be in any deep biz. Yes, avoiding places where an ice axe is nec may need to wait for a more experienced trip. No we are not packing ice skates, but we are trailing three rhinos, an elephant and two monkeys :D

I'm just trying to plan a trip. I haven't been there and Turner's story sucks, but that's why I am trying to exhaust my resources before we go. Since you asked, I have purchased both the N and S Earthwalk topos for the range and we will have quad print outs of any technical areas. Any direction to sticky spots is welcome.

I dont see what topo links you said you posted above.
Yes, Everytrail is great for planning, but we will have a big boy gps with us. You can export GPX files from Everytrail. It's quite useful and free.

Thanks for all your positive info though. I thought I plotted what you mentioned in your May 10th post.
 Post Number: 27
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(melikeethewild @ May 18 2013, 10:18 pm)
As far as high country travel goes: Maybe a little snow shoeing, but no, we dont want to be in any deep biz. Yes, avoiding places where an ice axe is nec may need to wait for a more experienced trip.

Its the way you said this that makes me think your not really sure what your getting into here.  I'm curious how much experience you have in these kind of hiking conditions.

I'm not trying to be critical of your hiking plans, It just comes across as though your not familiar with June/July hiking in the northern Rockies.  

I hope you have a great trip, I'm sure it will be memorable.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 28
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 1:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If this is really going to be some sort of Bachelor Party send off, at too early in the season, with neither of you having any experience in the Rockies/ Snow/Ice, etc..  Keep It Safe !  Getting a 1 hr lesson from a "friend"on how to use a loaner ice axe is worse than not taking one.

I agree with this paragraph.  It should be highlighted

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Earthwalk maps are a good start......plot a route, then look at it on Google Earth for any surprises.....

Allow 7 map miles per day........you WILL get 8 to 9 actual daily miles minimum unless the terrain is flat.  You want time to fish and soak in the scenery.  Personally with just a Tenkara setup you will miss additional fishing opportunities, take a backup, light spinning/collapsible rod and just a couple of Jake's.

Like I said, listen to SWT .................... it could save your bacon on a bad trip versus a good trip, he knows.  The Winds, like any high altitude trip can be costly.... they are completely different that anything back East.  They are like no other.
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2013, 3:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's a Map for a good, short (36.7 mi) loop, with good to excellent fishing and photo ops. The mandatory dayhike up to the far end of Titcomb Gorge will add ~ 8-12 mi.

Plan a FULL day to hike to the furthest end of "The Gorge" and back, it's far longer than it looks, ~ 6 mi from Island Lk to the head of the Gorge, and with all of the stops for photos and fishing, it's not hard to want even more time.

--------------
43 replies since Apr. 27 2013, 12:19 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply WIND RIVER RANGE pack: July 4-12
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions