2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Maroon Bells in July temps?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 1:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone experienced with Maroon Bells in July that can give me an estimated low temperature for the nights in Maroon Bells? Doing the Four Pass Loop, so should expect to be around 10, or 12, 000 feet when camping.
May hit a 14'er if we get enough time.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 3:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know. But when I was there at the end of August we had night time temps in the 40's.
I would do the loop  clockwise and do your 14'r (Snowmass Peak) the last day.
Side note: My small canister of fuel for my jet boil lasted the entire trip with fuel to spare.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 3
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Low 40s to low 30s.  Frost in the morning is a definite possibility any month of the year at higher altitudes in CO.
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Somewhere between 10 and 95 F I Would guess.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Low 30's to low 40's on average. Plan on frost every morning, possibly even a little ice on your water bottle if you leave it out overnight.

Possibly even colder.

These are shards of ice, 1/4" thick that I had to knock off my tent one morning, after a particularly nasty round of summer, aka "Moonson" thunderstorms rolled through the evening before.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good to know. Thanks guys. I was thinking low 40's, but not 30's. I think I'm finally going to invest in a down bag to carry for this trip.
Thanks Kcwins. I don't use a jetboil myself, but it gives me a good idea of what to expect at that elevation. I usually get a few boils less than jetboils with my Wisperlite.

Anyone know what altitude the Aspen Weather forecasts are for? (or Maroon bells). I can't find that information anywhere.
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 03 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ May 03 2013, 7:48 pm)
I'm finally going to invest in a down bag to carry for this trip.

An excellent investment.  You won't regret it.  I just noticed that First Ascent (Eddie Bauer) has 25% off everything.  Their Karakorum series bags look pretty good especially considering the price although I've had no personal experience with them.  Not trying to convince you to buy anything, just thought I'd mention it.  Seems like a good deal.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the heads up. Those do look pretty slick.
I'm actually leaning towards a Big Agnes currently, but I'm still looking.
 Post Number: 9
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aspen forecasts? Most NOAA weather pages feature a relief map, cursor you can move, gain a calculated forecast for the spot you highlight. (i.e. a pass, high point on your route) FWIW and use with caution.
 Post Number: 10
GoWest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For what its worth, if you're planning on doing any 14ers, consult 14ers.com for excellent route info and trip reports.  I summited North Maroon Peak last September and it was a big help.  The region has spectacular scenery but beware of the loose rocks on both Bells.

--------------
Kiss my days, light up my nights.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great info. Thanks guys.
The weather looks like it's going to be very doable.
I hadn't realized how lose and dangerous maroon peak was. Wow. Thanks for that site. Some sketch climbing. Not sure if my entire group (8 people) can handle that. Needs some special planning.
 Post Number: 12
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ May 05 2013, 6:01 am)
Great info. Thanks guys.
The weather looks like it's going to be very doable.
I hadn't realized how lose and dangerous maroon peak was. Wow. Thanks for that site. Some sketch climbing. Not sure if my entire group (8 people) can handle that. Needs some special planning.

Yep, the bells are considered rather dangerous.  There are warning signs at the trailhead.   Geologically speaking, they are very different from most other peaks in CO.

Maybe try for another 14er in the area, after you complete the loop.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any recommendations for a good peak in the area? I don't care about the numerical "14".
As long as the views are good I'm happy.
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Capital if you're up for a challenge.
 Post Number: 15
GoWest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Capital has a class 4 'knife edge' that most casual hikers are not ready for.
Snowmass would be the "easiest" 14er in the area, but its difficulty depends on how extensive its eastside snow field (snow mass) is.  
Mount Daly (13er) north of Capital is an option.

--------------
Kiss my days, light up my nights.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 6:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would be in for Capital, but I'll have a group of 8 with me who aren't.
Snowmass could be an option for me.
 Post Number: 17
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 9:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maroon Bells were not crowded when I hiked the 4 Pass Loop in mid-July 5 years ago. I saw 3 people the first day (not counting the first few miles) and a total of 4 people until the last lakes on the last day. http://ckjournal.blogspot.com/2008/07/maroon-bells-four-pass-loop.html
It was in the 30s most nights. A great, justifiably famous hike.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome info.
Sounds about perfect to me. The cooler weather tends to push the crowds away, which is always a plus.
I'm very anxious to get out there.
Good read by the way.
17 replies since May 03 2013, 1:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Maroon Bells in July temps?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions