2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: mid-June Dayhikes near Denver< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
chamberlain Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 4:03 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have tried the search function and can't seem to find what I'm looking for, though I'm sure you fine folks here are disgusted with questions like this.
The wifey (for dreadful work reasons) decided to torture me with a trip to Denver for our summer vacation. I got stuck with the job of coming up with some day hikes for us to do. I know June is probably going to be really sketchy with snow in the uplands still (I'm guessing from the ridiculous amount of time I have spent reading here over the years. An Ohio boy can only dream of a backyard like Colorado offers) so I'm hoping you can provide me some guidance. Could you provide me with a "must experience" top three day hike list for me to research? Neither one of us are amatures when it comes to backpacking and I have been to Colorado once and did the Four Pass Loop. We will have several days to acclimate from the elevation change. To cut down your headaches, here is some important info:

1) she is looking to stay near Denver to cut down time spent in a car, which I would say would be within an hour or an hour and a half if it's a truly magical experience that I can sell her on.

2) she's a fan of water falls, but I fell in love sitting at the top of the passes in the Maroon Bells staring off into the wonders below and around. I'm sure June limits that one quite a bit.

3) we will have a rental car, so that should be considered with access.

4) among my top five list that I would love to experience list is seeing mountain goats in their natural habitat. Not that it matters but Buffalo and moose make that list, too, but mountain goats would be an awesome cherry on top for me. Wyoming can keep their Grizzlies.

Can you help me out, please? Your crew here were instrumental in helping me with the Maroon Bells trip and I greatly appreciated that. I fell in love and promised myself I would return, but I'm cursing her for making me go in June knowing that it is cutting down my options big time and that it wouldn't even be worth sticking around an extra week solo to explore.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for suggestions.

Take care of yourselves,

chamberlain
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 5:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's your goat.   http://www.dayhikesneardenver.com/mt-evans-summit-hike/

The area around Mt Evans has a bunch of goats.

Lots of trail options there.  

http://www.mountevans.com/MountEv....ss.HTML

It's within your driving limits too.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One other thing.  The road up to Mt Evans should be open then, so even if there is too much snow to easily hike high enough to get some above treeline views, you could drive to the top of Mt Evans and get those views.  

We got more snow this week, so it's still a guess as to what the snow pack will be like in mid-June.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pikes Peak, Railroad up or down.

Mt. Audubon

If Access is Ok Lincoln, Democrat, and Bross.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought of another one.   If the snow has melted enough to reach the saddle, the views are spectacular!  

Though, with the exception of elk, I have not seen much wildlife on that trail.

http://www.protrails.com/trail....ountain

--------------

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: May 04 2013, 10:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome. That is what I'm looking for. I will be sure to research those. I did find that website about hikes near Denver, but the navigation of it was a bit sketchy with how it was organized. Now that I have some specific suggestions, I can go back read and do some other reading. Sounds like there might be a few more options than I anticipated available.

Keep them coming and I will try to keep you all posted on the plan...assuming I can come up with one.

Thanks again and take care of yourselves,

chamberlain
 Post Number: 7
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 05 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Beaver Brook Trail near Genessee
Maxwell Falls near Evergreen
Elk Meadows Park near Evergreen
Red Rocks Park and Dinosaur Ridge (Morrison - Stop at the Morrison Inn for Margaritas and good food after)

I also concur about Mt Evans

Your wife would enjoy Ouzel Falls and Calypso Cascades in RMNP (Wild Basin Entrance).
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello all! We recently returned from our trip to Denver and wanted to give a big thanks to everyone and their suggestions. I wanted to give a quick update on the trip for anyone who cares. I figure it is a bit rude to ask a question and never follow up.

Anyhow, we managed to fit quite a bit in six days. In regard to the outdoors, we visited Red Rocks, Garden o the Gods, Pike's Peak, and the Rocky Mountain National Park (we did the drive through the park, Ouzel and Calypso Cascades, a stretch of Utes Pass, and on my own I did the Emerald Lake hike). Absolutely wonderful. I feel all the sites were well worth it and would definitely recommend them to anyone who asked, but if we had it to do over with the gift of hindsight, I think we would have skipped Red Rocks for another night in the RMNP area. We didn't get to explore the town too much and there was still some things we would have liked to see in the park or spend more time on.

I would have also chosen Mt. Evans over Pike's Peak considering my lack of seeing big horn sheep, but in the sake of location and where we were and driving time, we opted for Pike's, which was still a pretty damn cool experience.

In the park I did get to see moose and a coyote, which I didn't bargain for, so that was awesome. I saw it on my way back from Emerald Lake. Holy cow, what a truly inspiring site that was. With a desperate need for some alone time and need for reflection, I managed to get up early and get to Bear Lake before the road closure for road construction. I hit the trail and made pretty quick work of it, but I easily could have spent every day of the rest of my life there staring into the reflection of the mountains in the lake, By far it was my favorite piece of the park that I got to experience.

The wifey fully enjoyed the Ouzel Falls hike. It was very pretty and it was a nice way to wrap up our last day in the park before heading back to the city to prepare flying back home.

Anyhow, not an exciting review, but I did want to give those who cared enough to provide some insights the benefit of a quick overview. Thanks again. I'm sure I will be back to ask more questions in the future. I full intend on getting back there to explore a bit more.

Take care of yourselves,

chamberlain
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 10
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!  I'm glad you had a good time.

--------------

Post Number: 11
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for coming back here. Mt. Evans is cool but as far as I know there's nothing on it like the crags and Horsethief Park/Pancake Rocks. Seen plenty of sheep on that side over the years.

You picked a good year to stay out of Southern Colorado with the fires but I sincerely hope you take a trip concentrating on the exquisite treasures south of Highway 50. We all have our favorites and for me Northern Colorado just can't compare however wonderful it is in other kens.

Have a wonderful summer!

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
10 replies since May 04 2013, 4:03 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply mid-June Dayhikes near Denver
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions