2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anyone heard of this stuff?, Altitude sickness sports drink< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 5:53 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ran into their website, I have never heard of them before. Sorry if this really belongs over on Health and Fitness forum, but frankly, a lot more eyes in TR.

acli-mate mountain sports drink

Interested if any here have tried it, and what were the results? I personally don't have many issues, but my daughter was raised at sea level, and always has a rough first day or two until her body adjusts.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 6:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wouldn't buy into it. áJust my 2 cents tho.

electrolyte replacement PLUS B-vitamins, CoQ10, calcium and magnesium in delicious, natural flavors. ávitamins A & C and select botanicals including Rhodiola, Schizandra and Gingko. D-ribose. potassium....common stuff.

From there website:
The exact mechanism by which it occurs is unknown but the severity of symptoms can vary from mild to life threatening. Recognizing the symptoms of altitude sickness, getting to a lower elevation, using supplemental oxygen, staying hydrated with water and Acli-Mate« Mountain Sport Drink may help to prevent or reduce the severity of altitude sickness.

Lower altitude (O2) (acclimate), hydrate, substitute the words Acli-Mate with any electrolyte (I use Elete) and a sportdrink (Gatorade, powerade..low sugar), "may help" ... and you pretty much have the same thing.

Go to http://www.basecampmd.com/expguide/highalt.shtml for a wealth on altitude stuff.
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 06 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I call BS.
To acclimate, you need to build up your red blood cell count. Nothing in this drink will really help you with that.
Carbs will go much further, as they actually help you to build these cells up. Perhaps making sure you have plenty (but not excess) iron could help also.
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Save your money. You can make your own sports drink with Kool Aid, sugar salt and potassium chloride (No Salt) that will do just as good a job.
 Post Number: 5
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 3:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The two things I have heard that help other than prescription medication are water and carbs.
Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 6
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 07 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and ibuprofen
 Post Number: 7
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 08 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always have my vitamin I

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 8
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 11 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm guessing that if people use this material according to instructions it will eliminate dehydration and thus keep quite a few people feeling better.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 12:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, hydration is important, but altitude-sickness research at the 14,000 ft. laboratory on Dufourspitze, in Switzerland suggests that people who contract altitude sickness lack the normal autonomic brain reaction to lack of oxygen...breathing more deeply.

Beginning to use oxygen at a lesser altitude, or conscious pressure-breathing can significantly lower the onset of altitude sickness.

Pressure breathing is simply inhaling deeply and exhaling through tightly pursed lips. The oxygen level at 14,000 ft. is only 56 percent of sea level, but that's not the main problem: the air pressure is too low for the oxygen to cross the air-blood lung membranes, causing one to exhale large amounts of oxygen that is unused.

Exhaling forcefully through pursed lips raises the internal lung air pressure to near-sea level, and enables a far higher percentage of oxygen to cross the permeable membranes into the blood stream.

Feeling woozy and depressed? Just purse your lips and whistle...and always look on the bright side of death...Monty Python.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll try to remember to breathe deeply when I'm diddi-bopping on up that dusty trail again, lol.

Good post. The pursed-lip breathing is basically what people with COPD do - which is about what I feel like by around 10,000'. I really will keep the pursed-lip breathing in mind.

Re Ben's assertion that water and carbs help - it IS SO HARD for me to force food the 1st few days on the trail.

I don't think there is some magic combo of herbs, etc. that will treat altitude sickness. But in physically stressful situations dehydration is common and adequate hydration helps in a general sense.

Down That Dusty Trail Again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ar3l9C5xn0

--------------

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it IS SO HARD for me to force food the 1st few days on the trail.

That's why God made marijuana brownies, at least here in Colorado...

No, seriously, one of the basic research justifications for medical marijuana for cancer patients is that it not only increases appetite, but it is the supreme anti-emetic, (throwup ) drug in the world, (in moderation of course.)
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well actually an impeccable authority found that a toke or two at the end of the day helps with the malaise part of altitude distress (in Colorado only, of course). Incredibly, he just felt better overall.

--------------

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: May 23 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your "impeccable authority" is very wise.
12 replies since May 06 2013, 5:53 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anyone heard of this stuff?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions