2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Jackson area spring hiking, Spring hiking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
dsburke1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 11:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys,

Looking for some tips on current day hikes in the Jackson WY area. This is my first time living in Jackson at this time of the year.
I'm really bored of hiking around the Crystal Butte, Snow King, High school Butte area.

Does anyone have any good suggestion on where else to go without running into deep snow?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Road to Curtis Canyon and beyond now open.

I had an awesome day on Hermitage Point yesterday. Didn't gaiter up, very little snow left here and there. I'm thinking about "Around the Block" late afternoon/early evening today. That's Grand Teton Climbers Ranch to Burned Wagon Gulch, Gulch up to instersect with Garnet Canyon/Ampitheahre Trail-Bradley and Taggart, back to Climbers Ranch. Ranch is closed so I park at Bridge over Cottonwood Creek.Leigh Lake, Bearpaqw, Trappers, String, etc., should be good with very occasional snow. Blacktail Butte is good to go. I'd guess Atherton Creek has been good for some time.

I'd consider most anything with exposure below 8,500' now. Valley Trail looks great. Not sure when Granite Creek road opens but it should be any day. Southern end of Granite-Hi Line Trail is an earlier season favorite of mine. Cliff Creek road open, went about 3 miles up it Saturday. Had an awesome hike up Table Mt. in the Dubois Badlands a week ago.

Message me and give me a call sometime,

John

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Road to Sheep Creek/Goodwin Lake is closed not far above the Curtis Canyon Overlook, went up there yesterday afternoon instead because gal wanted to bring her dog. Easy walking all the way to Goodwin Lake Trailhead, snow remains in problematic quantities on trail and old logging road from there.

--------------

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 10 2013, 11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Drove to Leidy Lake on Friday. Cornices too high for my old posterior to summit.

Sunday I did the Granite High Line Trail with the spectacular little side crest trail of all the the grassy summits below the bigger peaks. WAS AWESOME.

--------------

Post Number: 5
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the Yellowstone backcountry is starting to open up.  Snow is still lingering around 9k.  Went all the way around Shoshone lake from lonestar this weekend.  All clear except for a few down trees.  Lewis channel was knee high late afternoon.  Snake still looks like a swim to get into the thorofare region, although I might try it later this week.  Bugs aren't that bad yet, but getting worse.

Traffic sucks pretty much from alpine to the south entrance of Yellowstone.  Taking almost 3 hours to get from old faithful to jackson

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 11:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Robinhood let me know when you're in town and I'll buy you a beer/drink.

Hoping this intermittent drizzle picks up. If it does the flowers on the Southern approaches of the Gros Ventre will be fantastic.

--------------

Post Number: 7
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not sure if the op is checking this, but makes for a good conditions page.

Quite a few people ask about the crest trail, here is a photo link from a few days ago:
https://www.facebook.com/media....b996560

I didn't go up paintbrush canyon because I was short on time, I went up cascade canyon.  Mostly snow covered after the group site in the south fork campzone.  The marshy spot before the final approach to hurricane pass is melting out, sunk thru to my waist in water.  Most of the switchbacks are clear of snow.  The hike up to the marsh was all snow covered slopes.

Alaska basin is mostly snow covered.  Some waste deep post holing thru there.  The ice on sunset lake was starting to melt, still completely surrounded by snow.  Meeks pass was all snow.  Some snow slopes going up the pass, but nothing dangerous, would make for good boot skiing going down.  Death canyon shelf was all snow as well, with the edges just starting to melt out, I was able to camp on dry land there.

Went out thru death canyon, mostly snow free.  I would still bring crampons, wouldn't worry about an ice axe unless your going over paintbrush, none of the snow slopes will kill you unless you approach wrong

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the report man. Missed you, let me know how you're doing. Assuming new job works out I'll often be free from Friday quitting time to Wednesday early AM.

Snow isw definitely fading out there. Now is the time for the Gros Ventre and even some approaches in the southern Absaroka. Bugs have popped, but not horrificly like 2011.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Double post. Sorry Steve.

--------------

8 replies since May 12 2013, 11:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Jackson area spring hiking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions