2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Change of plans: Gore Range, Early July< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cweston Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 12 2013, 10:15 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, my daughter can't get time off, so it will be just my son and I. He really likes the idea of the Gore Range.

I'm thinking of heading up Booth or Pipkin creeks and targetting the area around the Spider--in fact, circumnavigating that mountain via Upper Piney Lake and Crater Lake seems like it'd be a great off-trail route.

But I'm completely open to suggestion--any favorite routes/trips in the area?

Scrambles, off-trail routes? I'd like to do at least one summit, but we really prefer to keep it at class 3 or less. Booth Mt seems like a good candidate in that area I'm looking at.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 2:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Eagles Nest is one of the most spectacular mountains in Colorado." SummitPost.org.

The Eagles Nest, namesake of the Eagles Nest Wilderness, is actually a fantastically beautiful cirque in the very highest peaks of the Gore Range. It is viewable not only from Eagles Nest Peak, but from the more easily hikeable Mt. Powell. the highest peak in the Gore range.

The shortest route is up from the Piney River, where there are beautiful car-camping sites just below the Ranch
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 9:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MAybe head up to the Upper Piney Lake/Crater Lake area via Piney River, then bag Powell on the way back? Seems like the Upper Piney basin is a pretty reasonable bushwack from wherever the official trail ends?

(Being a flatlander, I like to tackle the high summits toward then end of the trip, when I'm more acclimated.)
 Post Number: 4
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's one you might be interested in.  Don't worry that it was published, you're not likely to see anyone else.

http://www.denverpost.com/travel/ci_15831477
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: May 13 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ May 13 2013, 9:13 am)
Here's one you might be interested in. áDon't worry that it was published, you're not likely to see anyone else.

http://www.denverpost.com/travel/ci_15831477

Yeah, Black Creek--that's *wild* wilderness up there. Almost all of the "letter" peaks are beyond what we're up for in terms of scrambling difficulty, though.
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 14 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey SWT,

You still have that awesome hang gliding video of the Gore Range?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MAybe head up to the Upper Piney Lake/Crater Lake area via Piney River, then bag Powell on the way back? Seems like the Upper Piney basin is a pretty reasonable bushwack from wherever the official trail ends?

Let me give you some advice learned from bitter experience...there is no such thing
as a "reasonable bushwack," from looking at a map. Follow mapped trails, unless you have some sort of innate genius-level instinct for trail-finding in terrain that you've never been in before...in the dark, because that's when you'll probably finally get to your destination.

Been there, done that lots of times...always felt stupid afterwards.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ May 14 2013, 11:03 pm)

Let me give you some advice learned from bitter experience...there is no such thing
as a "reasonable bushwack," from looking at a map. Follow mapped trails, unless you have some sort of innate genius-level instinct for trail-finding in terrain that you've never been in before...in the dark, because that's when you'll probably finally get to your destination.

Been there, done that lots of times...always felt stupid afterwards.

I hear you. Been there, done that.

From the beta I've found, a trail exists until the last mile or less, which is out of the trees in open country. None of the TRs I've found complain too much about the route finding: hence my assumption that it's a "reasonable" route.

Of course, as a flatlander, I'm pretty darn miserable on day one of a Rockies trip anyway, so getting lost would just be icing on the cake :)

(Actually, the few times I've gotten honest-to-gosh lost were when I was on an official trail. If you're complacent and not paying careful attention to your location on the map, then the map isn't all that much help once you find yourself not on the actual trail.)
 Post Number: 9
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 15 2013, 7:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ May 14 2013, 9:50 am)
Hey SWT,

You still have that awesome hang gliding video of the Gore Range?

This is still the "Dream Flight" for all of the pilots that fly our Williams Peak launch, to get real high (not in the way highpeakdrifter does !) , fight upwind across the miles of sink that separate Williams Peak from the Gores and then regain that altitude to soar over the crest of the Eaglesnest Wilderness.

I've never been able to do it, but here's the video one of my buddies shot, that has, with plenty of awesome shots of Powell and surroundings.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080pá?
 Post Number: 10
slayerfish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 24 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool vid.  That dude is hardcore-
9 replies since May 12 2013, 10:15 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Change of plans: Gore Range
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions