2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: pahaska, route advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
gollwoods Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 6:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

planning a backpack trip. absarokas for aug 2014 would like a recomendation about going from lamar river trailhead east over into the N F. and down to pahaska. is there a altrnative with a shorter shuttle? pelican valley? specimen ridge? just map gazing, My shoshone map doesn't have trail miles on it and some trails seem to dead end up in the headwaters anyway.

thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
kcwins Search for posts by this member.
I refuse to grow up!

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 7:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

First off, welcome! Looks like you've been here a while yet this is your 1st post. This question has DC's name all over it. If he can't help you no one can. If nothing else, he's good for a beer..... assuming you can stomach bud lite.

--------------
Signature removed for lack of payment
 Post Number: 3
SmokingHead Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2013, 9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have Google Earth you can see existing trails up the Lamar R. trail east to the Frost Lk. trail, with mileages. I dont see any trail name out to Pahaska but there appears to be one. As for a shuttle, I think you're thumb may get a workout. Nice trip, dont feed the bears. :)

--------------
It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness.   Jerry Garcia
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a bit North of my traditional Range KC although I made a quick trip up to Cooke City over the weekend.

I responded to your PM gollwoods. The best people for questions on this area are Wycanislatrans or Blue Sage. Give them a message, very knowledgeable guys.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 28 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did a trip years back from the Lamar River TH on the highway, up the Lamar to Miller Crk, to Parker Peak, then we dropped into the upper Lamar (trailess), headed downstream to the Mist Crk trail and out to Pelican Valley TH.  Looks like three trails you could continue out of the Park on from near the Miller Crk cabin.  Saw quite a few griz thru there, lots of elk, a couple of wolves, fishing was great in the upper Lamar.
 Post Number: 6
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2013, 12:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ May 28 2013, 11:56 am)
Did a trip years back from the Lamar River TH on the highway, up the Lamar to Miller Crk, to Parker Peak, then we dropped into the upper Lamar (trailess), headed downstream to the Mist Crk trail and out to Pelican Valley TH.  Looks like three trails you could continue out of the Park on from near the Miller Crk cabin.  Saw quite a few griz thru there, lots of elk, a couple of wolves, fishing was great in the upper Lamar.

BBobb's trip here is one of the best trips you can do in the park.  Although instead of dropping into the upper lamar you should follow the boundary from the hoodoos down either to frost lake, or drop into the little lamar.  There is a fantastic old trail running down thru the little Lamar.  For your destination though, you could drop down into the sunlight basin from the park boundary junction, se of the hoodoos.  I haven't hiked into sunlight basin, but most of it looks like its burned.

To do your trip, I wouldn't go all the way down the lamar.  First off, the lamar river trail is nothing like the beautiful valley it is by the road.  Much of it has burned and is regrowing.  Its hot, sandy, lots of new trees.  Quite boring unless your a fisherman.  Farther south the areas around the river are unburned, but its a scared landscape.  

Your best options is either to start outside the park heading to canoe lake, and work your way to the hoodoos, or to come down the lamar to to miller creek, and go to the same hoodoos.  From the park boundary drop straight into sunlight basin, or follow the park boundary to frost lake.  There is a unmarked, unmaintained trail along the boundary that is easy to follow if your iq is higher than 5
This is the most spectacular section of Yellowstone National Park.

And I would definitely choose hiking thru pelican valley and myst pass to get to frost lake, rather than going down the lamar.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, stay high to go to Frost Lk.  We were mostly fishing and the small brookie fishing in the upper river was killer.  There was supposed to be a trail.....its wiped (or was then).  The fire destroyed most everything, there is a lot nuked back there.  Then the runoff flash flooded the canyon.  The old patrol cabin is gone.
Still a great hike through there tho, one I'd do again.
 Post Number: 8
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 11:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ May 30 2013, 11:10 pm)
Yes, stay high to go to Frost Lk.  We were mostly fishing and the small brookie fishing in the upper river was killer.  There was supposed to be a trail.....its wiped (or was then).  The fire destroyed most everything, there is a lot nuked back there.  Then the runoff flash flooded the canyon.  The old patrol cabin is gone.
Still a great hike through there tho, one I'd do again.

Yea the first few miles south from where the 2 lamars join is nuked as well.  Such a good word to describe it.  That parts a mess, but once your past the burn upstream it is an awesome place.  River isn't very big though.  But there is either an awesome game trail, or it was an old trail they let go after the fires that runs up that valley.  Very east to follow.

All the way up past the patrol cabin your talking about, at the headwaters of the lamar and southern most part of the hoodoo basin, there is another patrol cabin.  I haven't gone down to it yet, and its not marked on any maps I have.  But its clearly a cabin of some sort, and appears to be in good condition.  I plan on checking it out either this summer or the next

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Didn't drop into the lamar that far up so I missed it, would've liked to see it.  We dropped in just South of Parker Peak where there are two drainages really close together.  Was pretty steep. Saw a bunch of elk thru there.  No trail to speak of from there to the campsite at the junction.  Pretty nuked up the other side in the Lamar Mtn area.  Lots of hungry brookies there.  Supposed to be Indian ruins of some sort around Parker Peak but we didn't take time to look.  Should plan a trip into there again......I'll think on that one, was pretty easy hiking.
 Post Number: 10
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After Skyrim, this is one of my favorite hikes in Yellowstone.  Top 3, I'd say.  And, I've done it twice.  Both times were when I was working in the park.  No, there is not mileage on the forest map.  But, you'll need 4 days or 4 1/2 days.  Here is what I did.

Day 0 - I don't count this as a separate day, but  you may want to.  After working breakfast/lunch shift at Canyon Village, I drove to the Lamar Trailhead (Soda Butte), and walked in the first 3 or 3 1/2 miles to the campsite where Cache Creek and Lamar intersect.  You may want to go further and camp at one of the first two campsites at Miller Creek to even out your days more.

Day 1 - This was my long day.  I went the 5 miles to Miller creek, and then the 8 miles to the 4-way (almost) intersection.  From there, I went up that climb towards Parker Peak and camped near the Hoodoo Basin.  The climb was a grunt, but not too bad.  About 4 miles, with some good scenery along the way.

Day 2 - Took some time exploring the Hoodoo Basin.  This place is like a miniature Bryce Canyon, but with darker rock.  From there, the trail climbs up to the park boundary and follows it for a few miles.  Take your time here, as it is beautiful.  Ridge walks are my favorite hikes, and the only reason I like Skyrim better is because that goes for 11 miles, whereas this is only 6 or 7.  Keep your eye on the topo map for where your exit left into national forest leaves the ridge.  Not many people go up there, and the trail junction may be slight.  I had no problems when I last did it, but that was over 10 years ago.  The descent into Sunlight Basin is easy to see, and straight-forward.  I always worry about leaving the park and what trails will be like when they are not clear and orange-blazed.  But, no problems.  I camped near the mining area was, which worked.  But, you may want to camp before that which will be prettier.

Day 3 - Up and over the last saddle.  The way up is on an old? mining road.  Easy to follow, and placed correctly on the topo and forest maps.  Just a long haul up.  Did it in the early morning when I was fresh.  There will be one cold ford before you start up.  The trip down is through an open meadow, and later on trees.  One time I camped near where I first reached that fork of the Shoshone River.  The other time, I followed it a few miles before camping.

Day 4, follow the Shoshone River to Pahaska Teepee.  Trail is very hard to follow at times.  But, the timber isn't so thick that you can't make your way.  If you lose your way, best to stay at the right bank.  One time I was on the trail, and stayed on the right side of the river to avoid 2 of the fords.  I think you may have to do at least 2 of the fords.  But, the fewer the better.  I don't remember any of the fords being difficult.  Just a pain changing footgear.

Hitch-hiking back to your vehicle isn't too bad within the park.  But, at Pahaska, it was a pain for me.  Better talking to someone in the parking lot into taking you to Fishing Bridge or the junction with the road north.  Or walk the 3 miles to the entrance sign where there are always people taking pictures.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 11
gollwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

wow, thanks so much.  it is looking good for next year.  I did a 70 mi loop in the smokies just last week  which was a bear with the humidity, and saw a couple sows with cubs also.  but had three of four campsites to myself as well as almost no people sightings for 4 days.
10 replies since May 27 2013, 6:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply pahaska
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions