2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Weminuche, 4 Pass Loop, or RMNP Grand Loop?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Byrne216 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2013, 4:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for your opinions as to where I should go the last week of August. I'll be out in the Springs for my friends wedding, and am planning on a backpacking trip afterwards. I'm from Cleveland, Ohio. It's hard enough to get to that part of the country, I may as well take advantage while I'm already there.

Anyways.. Three years ago, I divided 3 weeks between the Weminuche and the Wind River Range. It was the most incredible trip I have ever done. However, in the Nuche, I started at Purgatory Trailhead, and stopped at the Chicago Basin because it's so magnificent. I was supposed to continue over Columbine Pass, down Johnson Creek to the Valecito Trail. From there, hop on the Continental Divide, then to the Colorado Trail, and ending at Molas Pass, then (hopefully) hitch a ride back to my car at Purgatory.

Because of how incredible the ~15 miles I did (~30 miles including the hike back), I want to go back. I don't think anything could possibly rival the Nuche, and am VERY intrigued to see the rest of the loop I was supposed to do. My problem is, everywhere I read says that the Four Pass loop is a bucket list loop. Which makes me want to check it out since I've already been to the Nuche (but never finished). My other problem is, in one of my Backpackers from a few years ago, they published a "Grand Loop" in RMNP, which sounds pretty cool, but not sure if it can rival the Nuche or Four Pass loop. I'm hoping for your guys opinions since you guys have been to these places a lot more than I have. Thank you in advance for your input, it'll be greatly appreciated!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is very little snowpack in the SW corner of the state, which could make for a very dry August.  While I would not necessarily limit myself to the routes you've suggested, it might be a good year to explore another part of the state.  The Platte river drainage is sitting on an above average snowpack.
 Post Number: 3
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am actually doing the train from Durango up to Elk Creek and around to Chicago Basin in late July and then two weeks later the Beartooths.  

I have done the train loop 10 years ago and was just floored standing on Columbine Pass looking into the Chicago Basin and down into Johnson Creek drainage.  That view has been calling me back ever since.

I also have done the Four Passes Loop in Maroon Bells and they are equally fantastic.  My suggestion would be to pick one this year and do the other next year.  They are both must dos.

Also add to your list the Sawtooths, Glacier, more of the Winds, Cascades and the Sierras to your bucket list and do them all.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(larrys @ May 31 2013, 9:24 pm)
I am actually doing the train from Durango up to Elk Creek and around to Chicago Basin in late July and then two weeks later the Beartooths.  

I have done the train loop 10 years ago and was just floored standing on Columbine Pass looking into the Chicago Basin and down into Johnson Creek drainage.  That view has been calling me back ever since.

I also have done the Four Passes Loop in Maroon Bells and they are equally fantastic.  My suggestion would be to pick one this year and do the other next year.  They are both must dos.

Also add to your list the Sawtooths, Glacier, more of the Winds, Cascades and the Sierras to your bucket list and do them all.

Funny you mention those other ones. I bought the book for the 220 mile Sierra High Route about 5 years ago, ready, and waiting for me to finish nursing school. It's the only time I will have 4-5 weeks off to do the whole thing. The problem with Glacier and the Sawtooths is getting there. From Cleveland, traveling eats up a lot of time, and money. I was going to go to Olympic or the Cascades this summer actually, until my friend told me he was getting married (in Colorado Springs).

Are the Cascades better than Olympic, in your opinion?

The view you speak of (in the Nuche) is what is calling me back as well. On that note alone, would you go back or head to Four Pass loop instead?
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2013, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Byrne216 @ Jun. 01 2013, 8:21 am)
Are the Cascades better than Olympic, in your opinion?

Both absolutely rock.
As to your original question--a couple thoughts...

1. I'm not a huge fan of BPing in the national parks: permits are a hassle and a restriction, there tend to be more people, etc. It's not as much of a problem in the less crowded ones, like North Cascades (although you do still need permits there). HYOH, of course.

2. If you go to the Weminuche from COlorado Springs, you're going to drive right by some of the most spectacular BPing in Colorado in the Sangres.
 Post Number: 6
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2013, 1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I don't think anything could possibly rival the Nuche, and am VERY intrigued to see the rest of the loop I was supposed to do."

The Whymenooch is amazing, but so is so much of the Rocky Mountain Region. We all have our biases, personally I don't think anything in Colorado beats the Sangres, but then again I've never been afflicted with debilitating Loopsternitis which the Sangres are not conducive for but can be done.

I'm curious where you went in the Winds, few people would compare the Juans to them. Here in Wyoming there are som many places of exquisite character. For late August the Bechler is amazing if you don't just trudge the trail and skip the great stuff like some here have. My Avatar is the most exotic place I've found in the time zone.

Most people will suggest the best backpacking in Wyoming is the Winds or Beartooth. Personally if you hear the 4 pass list is amust think about the Tetons. The crest can be the best hike many people ever do. Loop Avalanche with Paintbrush Canyons and you have paradise on two feet too.

For me nothing compares to the largest sub-range of the Rockies, my beloved Absaroka; "ab sah roh kah" around Cody and "ab soar kah" around Dubois. The remotest wilds in the 48 states scare a lot of people off. A shame for them, a joy for us and the grizz, wolves, etc. The CDT skips the Divide Crest at Brooks Lake and sinks to lower elevations in the Teton Wilderness and SW Yellowstone. I guess they figured the Grizz eating whitebarks and moths would be to much for some folks.

free jpeg images

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 7
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If solitude is important to you, go back to the Weminuche east of the Chicago Basin and probably even east of Vallecito (which had lots of horse poop and houseflies when I was there) towards Wolf Creek Pass.

The RMNP Grand Loop is also pretty awesome, but expect to see some people at least.  Hallett Peak is nice side trip if you have the time and get there early enough to beat the storms.  FWIW, the only pine marten I've ever seen was on the RMNP loop.  One note about RMNP, the pine beetle is really devastating the trees, so watch out for widow-makers.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Geez. just do the 4-Pass Loop...you know you want to...

It's one of the greatest 72-hour hikes in the world!

Get it past you.
 Post Number: 9
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Avoid the Weminuche.  It is already taken.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 10
larrys Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 1:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Byrne,

I was just checking on United and they have a flight in late August to Boise for $429 from Cleveland.  That is a pretty good fare, so they are out there if you look.

Again I would not agonize over the areas to hike, they are all great.  Pick out one each year and cross 'em off the list, then do 'em again.

Just FYI, the Sierra High Route is very challenging and we opted for JMT instead and loved it.  I think I would have to be in the best shape of my life to attempt it.

Forgot to add the Sangres, Olympics and Teton Crest to my list.  Been to Sanges and TC and they are just as wonderful as well...you just can't go wrong.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(larrys @ Jun. 11 2013, 1:28 pm)
Hey Byrne,

I was just checking on United and they have a flight in late August to Boise for $429 from Cleveland.  That is a pretty good fare, so they are out there if you look.

Again I would not agonize over the areas to hike, they are all great.  Pick out one each year and cross 'em off the list, then do 'em again.

Just FYI, the Sierra High Route is very challenging and we opted for JMT instead and loved it.  I think I would have to be in the best shape of my life to attempt it.

Forgot to add the Sangres, Olympics and Teton Crest to my list.  Been to Sanges and TC and they are just as wonderful as well...you just can't go wrong.

Good lookin'! I'm in one of my buddies weddings this August, that's why I'm "limiting" myself to Colorado. Less time driving/flying anywhere.

I know what lies ahead when/if I do the Sierra High Route. I've been reading about it for a few years now. I agree, I'll have to be in the best shape. It shouldn't be a problem, back permitting.

I started looking into the Sangres, after someone mentioned them a few posts back. Waiting for my map to come in the mail. Is it difficult to make a loop in the Sangres?
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Byrne216 @ Jun. 11 2013, 7:24 pm)
I started looking into the Sangres, after someone mentioned them a few posts back. Waiting for my map to come in the mail. Is it difficult to make a loop in the Sangres?

Somewhat. There is one main ridge and very few trails cross it to link the eastside trails to the westside trails. So there are mostly shorter trails that run up the drainages, perpendicular to the main range.

There are trails over the main range at Comanche and Venable passes. The most rugged part of the range runs from there to the south, and there aren't any trails that cross the main crest for several miles.

There are some nice loop possibilities on the west side of the range--in the country north of the North Crestone Creek trail.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 9:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jun. 11 2013, 9:57 pm)

(Byrne216 @ Jun. 11 2013, 7:24 pm)

Somewhat. There is one main ridge and very few trails cross it to link the eastside trails to the westside trails. So there are mostly shorter trails that run up the drainages, perpendicular to the main range.

There are trails over the main range at Comanche and Venable passes. The most rugged part of the range runs from there to the south, and there aren't any trails that cross the main crest for several miles.

There are some nice loop possibilities on the west side of the range--in the country north of the North Crestone Creek trail.

If you have five days to spend in the Sangres, where would you go? I need that map to arrive!
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've decided to spend three days in the Sangres, and another three doing the four-pass loop
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sangres...

I would look at:

• Comanche/Venable loop from either the east or west side

• Willow or North Crestone Lake from the west

• Music Pass to Milwaukee Pass to Cottonwood Creek headwaters (maybe a bit much for three days).

• A loop in the North Crestone/Rito Alto/San Isabel drainages on the West side
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One more: Macy Lakes from the East side is a great 3-day out-and-back hike. Make a basecamp at lower Macy Lake and climb Colony Baldy (if you're into that) on day 2.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jun. 22 2013, 10:02 pm)
Sangres...

I would look at:

• Comanche/Venable loop from either the east or west side

• Willow or North Crestone Lake from the west

• Music Pass to Milwaukee Pass to Cottonwood Creek headwaters (maybe a bit much for three days).

• A loop in the North Crestone/Rito Alto/San Isabel drainages on the West side

Great, thank you! I'm hoping to receive my map at the end of the week. Hard to try and figure things out without one!
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might also be interested in this...

It's a better than average hiking guide, with quite a bit of info about summit scrambles and other off-trail possibilities.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It "rained" significant ash on Crestone this past weekend. The fire across La Valle is colossally horiffic. The Sangres are for me the absolute glory of Colorado and I truly hope the monsoons soak all of the Centennial State before you get here in August, but this is a year one might consider Wyoming or Montana before the tinder box of Colorado.

Downers aside if I had 5 days I would:

Overnight the Comanche-Venable loop. Overnight Willow Lake. Dayhike South Zapata Lake.

--------------

Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jun. 03 2013, 1:55 pm)
"I don't think anything could possibly rival the Nuche, and am VERY intrigued to see the rest of the loop I was supposed to do."

The Whymenooch is amazing, but so is so much of the Rocky Mountain Region. We all have our biases, personally I don't think anything in Colorado beats the Sangres, but then again I've never been afflicted with debilitating Loopsternitis which the Sangres are not conducive for but can be done.

I'm curious where you went in the Winds, few people would compare the Juans to them. Here in Wyoming there are som many places of exquisite character. For late August the Bechler is amazing if you don't just trudge the trail and skip the great stuff like some here have. My Avatar is the most exotic place I've found in the time zone.

Most people will suggest the best backpacking in Wyoming is the Winds or Beartooth. Personally if you hear the 4 pass list is amust think about the Tetons. The crest can be the best hike many people ever do. Loop Avalanche with Paintbrush Canyons and you have paradise on two feet too.

For me nothing compares to the largest sub-range of the Rockies, my beloved Absaroka; "ab sah roh kah" around Cody and "ab soar kah" around Dubois. The remotest wilds in the 48 states scare a lot of people off. A shame for them, a joy for us and the grizz, wolves, etc. The CDT skips the Divide Crest at Brooks Lake and sinks to lower elevations in the Teton Wilderness and SW Yellowstone. I guess they figured the Grizz eating whitebarks and moths would be to much for some folks.

free jpeg images

When I was in the Winds three years ago, we started at Big Sandy and went to Marms Lake to set camp. The following day, we went to Pyramid Lake. Hung out and explored the area back there for a few days, climbed up to Hailey Pass one of the days. On our hike back out to Big Sandy, we stopped at Shadow Lake for our last campsite. Shadow Lake was INCREDIBLE! We hiked out the next day.

I wasn't comparing the Nuche to the Winds. I was simply saying that they both are amazing.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jun. 24 2013, 3:06 pm)
You might also be interested in this...

It's a better than average hiking guide, with quite a bit of info about summit scrambles and other off-trail possibilities.

Thanks! I'll head to the bookstore tomorrow to see if they have it.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shadow Lake
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shadow, the Cirque, etc are gorgeous but there not even close to the heart of the Range. You need to get back and take the time for Titcomb, etc.

I just want to add something on LOOPS. The reason the Sangres are not conducive to loops is because they are TOO RUGGEDLY SPECTACULAR. The compulsion to cover more "original" miles by looping often leads people to skip the unequivocally most spectacular parts of the American West. for sometimes relatively mundane ones. If you think a great trail has nothing to offer in the opposite direction you are with all due respect and IMO crazy.If you skip a place like Willow Lake to do a loop you miss not only one of the most Spectacular drainages in the American West but arguably the world. Why do you think Crestone Needle was the last 14er Caucasians took on in Colorado?

--------------

Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Jun. 25 2013, 1:02 am)
Shadow, the Cirque, etc are gorgeous but there not even close to the heart of the Range. You need to get back and take the time for Titcomb, etc.

I just want to add something on LOOPS. The reason the Sangres are not conducive to loops is because they are TOO RUGGEDLY SPECTACULAR. The compulsion to cover more "original" miles by looping often leads people to skip the unequivocally most spectacular parts of the American West. for sometimes relatively mundane ones. If you think a great trail has nothing to offer in the opposite direction you are with all due respect and IMO crazy.If you skip a place like Willow Lake to do a loop you miss not only one of the most Spectacular drainages in the American West but arguably the world. Why do you think Crestone Needle was the last 14er Caucasians took on in Colorado?

The night we were leaving Cleveland, we called the backcountry rangers in the Winds to get conditions, etc. There was still five feet of snow in Titcomb basin. Believe me, we were going to traverse the Winds, we just weren't able to. Since there was so much snow left in the Winds, we decided to switch our trip around, and go to the Nuche first (hoping the ten or eleven days might melt enough snow for us to do our trip in the Winds. When we go to the Pinedale outdoor shop, they told us not much had changed. There was still a lot of snow left due to late snow storms.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 1:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is the South Colony trail one of the more popular ones? I was debating between that, or Macey Lakes
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Byrne216 @ Jul. 21 2013, 12:10 am)
Is the South Colony trail one of the more popular ones? I was debating between that, or Macey Lakes

Yes, South Colony is one of the most popular areas in the Sangres, because it is the primary approach to 3 14ers: Humboldt, Crestone, and Crestone Needle.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2013, 4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Jul. 21 2013, 7:55 am)

(Byrne216 @ Jul. 21 2013, 12:10 am)

Yes, South Colony is one of the most popular areas in the Sangres, because it is the primary approach to 3 14ers: Humboldt, Crestone, and Crestone Needle.

Maybe if I go there at the beginning of the week (Monday), it won't be crowded.

Planning on doing 3 days on the Willow Lake trail, and another 3 somewhere else (South Colony, Macey Lake, Venable loop, etc).
26 replies since May 30 2013, 4:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Weminuche, 4 Pass Loop, or RMNP Grand Loop?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions