2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Question About Indian Peaks Wilderness Permits, In terms of dayhikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
godzillaman Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 4:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the permit system in the Indian Peaks Wilderness. I am leading a group of Boy Scouts on a practice hike for a week long backpacking trip (a tradition on my troop) we do every summer. We plan to summit South Boulder Peak in last July. One other scoutmaster told me that you need a permit for scouting groups and things like that. I looked on the forest service website and I could only find out how to get ones for overnight trips. Are the day use permits at the trail-heads or must I go through the same bleeding process that the overnight permits require?

Thanks and regards!

--------------
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!”
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm confused.    South Boulder Peak is not in Indian Peaks Wilderness.   Are you asking about it or about IPW?  About a dayhike or about the proposed backpack trip?   Yes, large groups require special permits.  Thank goodness.  But a dayhike to South Boulder Peak does not require a permit.   However, it does need to be open for you to hike it.   Right now the status is -- 2013 TRAIL UPDATE - Due to significant erosion as a result of the Flagstaff Fire, much of the Shadow Canyon Trail and South Boulder Peak remain closed

http://www.summitpost.org/south-boulder-peak/152449

I suggest you contact the the city of Boulder for the latest on the open/close status.   I was there about three weeks ago and the route up Shadow Canyon was closed then.  http://www.bouldercolorado.gov/index.php?option=com_content&id=3035&Itemid=1035

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OH!!!

I am so very sorry, I meant South Arapaho Peak. I was up on Bear peak the other day and remember the signs where newer (than January) and did not really say if that peak - being South Boulder Peak- was closed. They said to "respect all Flagstaff Fire closures" but no where did that confounded sign say where the closures where. That must have been on my mind, and both being named "South" (though I am unaware of a North Boulder Peak- maybe that was the archaic name for another one of the mountains) I thus made the mistake. Foolish, indeed!

But anyway, I quote from the Forest Service website "Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) and/or organized groups such as scouts, churches, schools, internet  outdoor groups and hiking clubs". But nowhere may one find where, or how, or really anything but that requirement on this type of permit. I would imagine they would be at the trail-heads, but I really don't know and Indian Peaks rules are bloody confusing (though very much a requirement when one considers the usage levels).

Thank you

--------------
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!”
 Post Number: 4
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) and/or organized groups such as scouts, churches, schools, internet  outdoor groups and hiking clubs"

If the forest service site says that then I would get the permits.  Sorry, if it is a hassle, but some consider large groups on the trails a hassle too, so I suggest you follow the guidelines.

--------------

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 11 2013, 11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jun. 11 2013, 9:54 pm)
"Permits are required year-round for day and overnight use for large groups (8 or more people) and/or organized groups such as scouts, churches, schools, internet  outdoor groups and hiking clubs"

If the forest service site says that then I would get the permits.  Sorry, if it is a hassle, but some consider large groups on the trails a hassle too, so I suggest you follow the guidelines.

Yes, but do you get them at the same place as the overnights or not? That is my question; no where does it say that, and in the information about where to get permits is specifically states that that information is for "overnight permits" not for any other kind (of which there are several types).

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 12:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(godzillaman @ Jun. 11 2013, 9:57 pm)

Yes, but do you get them at the same place as the overnights or not? That is my question; no where does it say that, and in the information about where to get permits is specifically states that that information is for "overnight permits" not for any other kind (of which there are several types).

My guess would be yes that you get them in the same place.  I would call them to verify.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 12 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Jun. 11 2013, 10:03 pm)

(godzillaman @ Jun. 11 2013, 9:57 pm)

My guess would be yes that you get them in the same place.  I would call them to verify.

Yeah that is what I was beginning to suspect. I am glad I was told about this rule more than a month before the planned date. Thank you, and sorry about the name mix.

--------------
6 replies since Jun. 11 2013, 4:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Question About Indian Peaks Wilderness Permits
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions