2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Looking for a good family camp near Boulder, Where we can build a campfire< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 1:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heya folks, it's father's day weekend and I plan to go camping with my kids.  Drive in, have a campfire, roast hot-dogs, do a bit of dayhiking, make s'mores, you know the drill. :)

Boulder county has a fire ban in effect, so the typical backcountry spot we usually go to (an "unofficial" site on FS land off Hwy 72) is out.  We either need to be at a public maintained campground, or in another county without a fire ban in effect.

Something backcountry would be great (avoid the crowds), but if we need to stay at an official site we can.  This is car-camping, coolers n' all, so no long approach hike this trip.  I don't have 4WD, so although I don't mind a bumpy dirt road, anything high-clearance is out.  It'd be great if it's within 2 hours of the Boulder area.  We'd like to have a campfire if at all possible.  (If fires aren't allowed we can just go to our normal site and cook over the stove.)

Any suggestions?  Post here or PM me if you know of any good campgrounds you'd recommend.  Plan to head out tomorrow morning if possible.  Thanks!

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 8:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm hardly an expert on Colorado, but judging from the news, I would imagine they are a little paranoid about fires of any kind down there right now - be they campfires or whatever.

Good luck.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GBW, just stick your head out the window and tell be your not smelling smoke or seeing a smoky haze.

There are currently 5 major wildfires in CO. They are Black Forest, Royal Gorge, Big Meadow, West Fork and Windy Pass.

Not a good time for campfires in CO. Check back in March.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 15 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw two fires from one summit the other day. One of them was brand new and reported by me.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bill g @ Jun. 15 2013, 9:31 am)
GBW, just stick your head out the window and tell be your not smelling smoke or seeing a smoky haze.

There are currently 5 major wildfires in CO. They are Black Forest, Royal Gorge, Big Meadow, West Fork and Windy Pass.

Not a good time for campfires in CO. Check back in March.

Uh, thanks?

I realize where fires are in the state, bill.  Thanks for verifying the obvious, Sherlock.

Colorado isn't just one little ubiquitous, homogeneous landmass.  Fire risks vary dramatically across the state, which is why land managers county by county and forest by forest get to make the call for each of their respective regions.  Some folks understand this nuance while some... obviously don't.

On the suggestion of a personal friend that understood the question and gave it a bit of thought we were able to drive a few hours North and had a great little campout this weekend without putting the state in jeopardy.

Thanks anyway.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 6
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 4:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to her it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jun. 16 2013, 1:01 pm)
On the suggestion of a personal friend that understood the question and gave it a bit of thought we were able to drive a few hours North and had a great little campout this weekend without putting the state in jeopardy.

Snowy Range, Vedauwoo ??

Glad you got out and had a campfire !

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 8
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 16 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IR to campfires in CO, compared to last year, only a few counties, mostly on "The Plains" and primarily those effected by the fires of last week, have enacted a stage 1 ban.

NONE of the NF districts have a ban in place as of today.

Colorado National Mounument is the ONLY NP to have any ban in place.

I expect these might change up 'till the onslaught of the Monsoon in a few more weeks, but as of now, you can have a campfire in 99% of the places a backpacker would go.

Here's a cool new product from Colorado OEM showing all of the current FIRE RESTRICTIONS

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 17 2013, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, to be fair, Boulder County does have a fire restriction in place West of Hwy 36, in the foothills basically, although even there you're still allowed to have a campfire at designated maintained sites inside a ring.  Other counties have similar restrictions as well but no all-out bans.  That's comes from the county, not the NF.  But as SWT points out, there are plenty of places without such designations, the majority of the state actually.  Using the typical precautions (well protected ring, not near any trees/brush or thick dry grass, only in calm/negligible winds, etc) it was perfectly safe.  Had a great time with the kids.

We simply picked a spot in the North end of Roosevelt NF well north of RMNP, in a disbursed area off a small road.  Had the place to ourselves.  Wasn't all that difficult to find after a couple missed turns and reroutes, lol.  A friend told us about it, but asked us to keep it somewhat mum.  They like to go there to avoid crowds and asked us not to post the spot online, so I'm respecting that.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 1:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey GoBlue, treasure your time with your kids and teach them about the forest, (they will remember everything, and you.) because, when they grow up, (if you stay with their mother,) there will be a whole new generation of GoBlueHikers that you can teach how to ski and hike and track...

And then a generation after that...well, that's where I'm at. Two weeks ago I took my 4-year-old great-grandson for a 3-hour hike into the high-country above our condo in Winter Park. I appointed him Scout, to run ahead to find the trail, I taught him how to find the most-traveled branch of forks in the trail, and after 2 hours of mud and going around and under treefalls, he finally got to the top, and when I caught up with him, he said, "GGPA. why don't they just put sidewalks on top of trails?"

Clearly a city boy.
9 replies since Jun. 14 2013, 1:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Looking for a good family camp near Boulder
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions