2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Colorado Camping, Dispersed or developed campground< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 3:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody have a fav, or at least a good recommendation for such car camping in mid July in a Nat forest?  We will eventually get to Half Moon to attempt Elbert, but need a overnighter somewhere in Gunnison, San Isabel, White River, Uncompahgre region.  San Juans/Rio Grande is fine too.  Good, stream fly fishing would be a huge bonus/preferred.  Dirt road 4WD access is fine.  Potable water would be preferred, but not necessary as long as there is a water source.
Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

South Mineral Creek just to the NW of Silverton.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 3
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 14 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As you probably already know. you can camp free for up to two weeks in any National Forest anywhere 100 ft. away from a stream.

All you have to do is drive up a mountain road that follows a stream and look for a spot that has a fire ring.

Closer to your destination, I'd suggest going west off Highway 24 on Chalk Creek Rd., Cottonwood Pass Rd., (West of Buena Vista.) or Clear Creek Rd.

I will guarantee that you will find a dream-like, free campsite along a raging creek along any of those roads, particularly Cottonwood Pass Rd.

Your best bet on Cottonwood Pass Rd. is the intersection with the Colorado Trail, (Look on the map.) There are several great creekside campsites here, but because of the thick foliage, they are almost invisible from the road and are easily passed by.

Use the money you save on the campsite to soak in the wonderful, hi-temp, mineral water of the Cottonwood Hot Springs, along the road on the way up...
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was raining ash on a buddy last night just outside of Crestone so today he's headed for one of my favorite car camping destinations, the Buffalo Peaks. Sure hope the wind doesn't shift on him today.

I spent 20 years doing a fairly serious amount of car camping from Leadville to Santa Fe. Feel free to message me if you ever want to pick my brain.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 10:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Along Pauline Creek just north of the La Garita Wilderness (not too far from Gunnison)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 9:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate the feedback.  Ended up going to South Mineral Creek.  I really had my mind set on Ivy Creek, just downstream of the reservoir on the Rio Grande, but the West Fork fire ended that plan.  I stopped in Durango, and spoke to the guys at Duranglers, who informed me that the West Fork burned pretty much right down to the river, even thought the campground was now open after being closed for over a month.  We absolutely loved South Mineral.  The campground hosts (Dan and Ann) were very hospitable and helpful, and everyone we spoke with was friendly.  The setting was breathtaking too.  Ended up fishing the Animas River, and loved it - the fishing was very good!  The San Juan's are so sweet - love it there.  Didn't get to hike there, but there is apparently plenty of trails.  Need to get back some day soon!
Thanks again!
 Post Number: 7
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2013, 11:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you can camp free for up to two weeks in any National Forest anywhere 100 ft. away from a stream.

Not always. There are several NFs near popular tourist spots throughout the US that prohibit camping anywhere along any road, improved or not, and are posted as such.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 5:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You went there and didn't hike Ice Lakes Basin? Are you crazy?

Glad you had a good time. If you really like fishing you need to think of a lot of other places in and out of Colorado.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DC,
We did find the trail head though...:)  We had an epic trip to the GC, Zion, and eventually CO.  Tried to hike Elbert, and got send back by lightning.  Trust me, we needed a break by the time we got the San Juan's!  Fishing was the perfect elixir....kinda like hydrotherapy, as we waded wet....:)  I have fished in MT, and WY also previously.  But I was more into getting my sons some easy trout, which worked out well, in both the Animas, and the Arkansas.  Had I had another week, I would have headed for the Winds....next trip!  Can't see everything in 2 weeks!
Cheers!
 Post Number: 10
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Happy to hear you enjoyed it.  We always enjoy that area.

Too bad we didn't have coffee or a beer while you were in Durango.  May be next time.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 30 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ben,
Had I know you were in Durango, I would have loved to have bought you a beer for your great campground suggestion!  We were there for a few hours as we ate in a wonderful Mexican restaurant, did some food shopping, got the low down on fishing and bought our licenses at Duranglers, and my son loved the tea shop in the historic portion of town.  I absolutely loved Durango too, and would love to retire there...maybe someday.  Very cool town, love the vibe of the place.
Thanks again for the info!
Cheers!
10 replies since Jun. 14 2013, 3:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Colorado Camping
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions