2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Two night trip in Arapaho, Planning two night trip to Arapaho NF< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TravisCT Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 8:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi there, first post here!
I'm planning a trip with two friends to colorado in late August, and we are pretty sure we want to check out Arapaho NF.   Does anyone have any ideas for a two night trip there?  We are pretty wide open to ideas, even if its sonewhere else within a reasonable drive of Denver. We would kinda would like to do a "hike in, set up camp, spend the night, hike around the next day, camp again, then hike out the next morning" type of thing.  Like I said, any ideas or tips welcome, Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 18 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It covers a very large area including six wilderness areas.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arapaho_National_Forest

If you check details of Indian Peaks Wilderness you will see that permits are required.  The others do not require permits.  

I have no idea what sort of miles or elevation gain you are comfortable with, but a nice three day hike would be to King Lake (in Indian Peaks Wilderness) one night, then up and over the ridge down to Jasper Lake for a night.   If you do that and begin on the weekend plan to be at the trailhead by about 7:00 am to get a parking space.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 1:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To miss the crowded parking areas in Indian Peaks, drive up a two-lane blacktop to the Eldora Ski Area, park, and hike 4.5 miles up to the Arrestua Ski Hut at 11,000 ft.

This wonderful old cabin is maintained by the Colorado Mountain Club, has nine bunks, a superhot wood stove with firewood, a front porch that looks out over the vast Denver metro area at night, and it only costs $1 a night. Make reservations above.

You might have to share, but that's fun too. Use the cabin as your base of operations for both nights, because it's only a couple of miles from the CD and there are hikes to railroad tunnels, bridges, lakes, all kinds of big wildlife like elk and bear, and the remains of the town of Corona, a railroad town that existed under snowsheds for a third of the year.

Bring wine.
 Post Number: 4
TravisCT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

THANKS! Both ideas sound awesome.  To give a little background, we are three avid backpackers in good shape.  I just got back from Colorado (awesome), I got to hike everyday, but no overnighting :( . We would probably prefer a moderate to difficult hike.  That said,  this is our first overnight in CO, we are willing to work for the extra goodies like avoiding crowds, or having a lake to ourselves for the night etc.  I starting putting a gear list together, is there anything you think a New Englander woukd forget to bring?
Thanks again!
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 19 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Howdy!

Being the closest National Forest to Denver.  Arapaho gets lots of visitors.

The Comanche Peaks area north of RMNP is nice.
 Post Number: 6
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TravisCT @ Jun. 19 2013, 4:29 am)
 I starting putting a gear list together, is there anything you think a New Englander woukd forget to bring?
Thanks again!

If you overnight high enough you will encounter frost over night.  So, remember to bring some warm layer(s).

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
5 replies since Jun. 18 2013, 8:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Two night trip in Arapaho
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions