2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Glacier NP - Apgar Campground< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TheWanderingEngineer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:40 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be arriving by train in Glacier National Park late on August 12, before starting a backpacking trip on the 13th. I was planning to spend the night of the 12th in Apgar campground. It would appear that the sites there are first come, first serve only.

It will be peak season, so I was concerned about the sites filling up. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
dorfinator Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

try this.  Good luck to you.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TheWanderingEngineer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 10:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ah, I was there earlier and didn't understand what it was showing. The times it shows may be problematic for me, as I do not arrive until 8pm. Are there other options for cheap over night lodging?

I'll go google it in the mean time.
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 20 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think all national parks have hiker/biker sections in their campgrounds.  I know most of the parks I've stayed in do and there is always room for cyuclists and walkers and if there isn't, they make room.  I can't speak specifically for Glacier but I know Yellowstone, the Tetons, Zion and Grand Canyon do.  I'd contact the information center at Glacier and ask them.  If they do, it'll solve your issue nicely.

Enjoy Glacier, it's a magic place.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 21 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TheWanderingEngineer @ Jun. 20 2013, 10:57 pm)
Ah, I was there earlier and didn't understand what it was showing. The times it shows may be problematic for me, as I do not arrive until 8pm. Are there other options for cheap over night lodging?

I'll go google it in the mean time.

maybe try getting a room in west glacier.  As Dorf says, good luck.  Its going to be hit or miss on getting a site that late.  A few years ago, we hitched over to apgar after the shuttles were shut down for the night.  Still were able to get a site, but thinking back on it, I believe it was a hiker only site.  I know we got there after dark, and were surprised to find a spot.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 22 2013, 12:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like I said before, I don't think finding a hiker/biker site will be a problem regardless of the time of year or day.  At least that's been my experience in other parks, but granted, every park is different.  Still, your best option would be to just call park hqtrs and adk the about hiker/biker campsites and what their policy is.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2013, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since I was curious myslef about Glaciers's policy on walk-in camp sites, I contacted them myself and this is the reply I received.

We do have them in most of our campgrounds and we do make them always available. Here is a link for campground specific information.

http://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/cgstatus/cgstatus.cfm

Ellen Blickhan

Glacier National Park Staff

It didn't specifically mention Apgar, but since it's one of the larger campgrounds and close to West Glacier and the rail stop, I would guess that they do have hiker/biker sites.  Best to e-mail them for specific information.  They were very prompt with my request.

Hope it helps.

Good luck and have fun.  Glacier is a magic place.

--------------
 Post Number: 8
pasqualli Search for posts by this member.
Standin' in the shower ... thinkin'

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2013, 3:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Double checking is a good idea, but yes Apgar has a couple sites specifically for walk-ins and bikers (or I seem to remember them being there, hence the double check idea). I've witnessed people with cars take spots in those set aside places in Two Medicine more than once.  

Another thing you can do is, when arriving late, ask the campground host for the handicap site if it's still open.  Last year a host informed us they would grant permission in a pinch, if the campground was full, and it was late enough in the day.  We did get access once, with strict instructions to be out first thing in the morning.  We also had to deal with the park ranger who decided to be a bit of an ass in questioning why we were there ... ("You don't look handicapped to me").  Again the mask and chainsaw might have turned them against me (inside joke with Jer).   A lot depends on the hosts and how flexible they want to be.  Just remember if they do allow it they are doing you a massive favor.  :D

--------------
Randy's Backpacking Website
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
JonW Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 01 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know that you didn't ask this, but just north of Apgar is Fish Creek that does take reservations.
8 replies since Jun. 20 2013, 10:40 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Glacier NP - Apgar Campground
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions