2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Glacier NP< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MackShaft Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 7:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im looking for some fun day hikes in GNP. Im staying by St Mary Lake.

Thanks
Marcus
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MicStaff Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would try to get up to Many Glacier if possible. You could take a shuttle (fee?) to Many then hike down Piegan Pass to Siyeh Pass and then take the shuttle (free) back to St. Mary's. Or start at Many go up to Swiftcurrent Pass then down the highline to Logan Pass and shuttle to St. Mary's

If you want a long day near 20 miles I would start at Jackson Glacier Overlook and hike to Gunsight Pass then Sperry Chalet and end at Lake McDonald (my favorite hike in the park).

For the iconic (yet crowded) options you could take the free shuttle to Logan Pass and do Hidden Lake and/or the Highline or to Lake McDonald and do Avalanche Lake or Mt. Brown Lookout.

If you have a car then I would say get up to Many Glacier and do Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake -(Both pretty popular).

Mostly depends on how difficult you want to make it, access to a car and if you care that some trail may be a 4 mile conga line to the lake/view/glacier. How many days are you there?
 Post Number: 3
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2013, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MicStaff has great suggestions.

Many Glacier is the best place for day hiking in the park.  This is because there are several trail heads in the area.  It is also easy to see wildlife, including moose and grizzly bears.  I think Grinnell is an awesome hike for someone's first trip to glacier, it really shows off the color of the park, if that makes any sense.  Looks like a trip into a Disney movie.  Iceberg looks like every other high cirque lake to me, but most of those lakes are hard to get to.  Iceberg isn't.  Cracker lake is also a beautiful hike once you get out of the trees.  

The piegan pass, Siyeh pass area is another awesome day hike, just beautiful country.  

Two Medicine has some great dayhiking as well, and if your hardy, you can do the entire Pitamakin/Dawon pass loop.  You can cut off some miles by using the boat.  One of, if not the best hike in the park for maintained trails.  I would do this way before the highline trail.  You can also hike up to Two Med Pass, one of the best in the park, just above cobalt lake.  Scenic point is another day hike there worth doing.

Depending on what your into, Glacier offers some amazing yet relatively easy off trail scrambling/peak bagging.  You have endless day trip opportunities there.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 10:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Jul. 15 2013, 8:43 pm)
Two Medicine has some great dayhiking as well, and if your hardy, you can do the entire Pitamakin/Dawon pass loop.  You can cut off some miles by using the boat.  One of, if not the best hike in the park for maintained trails.  I would do this way before the highline trail.  You can also hike up to Two Med Pass, one of the best in the park, just above cobalt lake.  

Can't believe I forgot to mention this one. Highly recommended. The trail between Dawson/Pitamakin may be the best part of trail that can be done by a day hike in the entire park.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 10:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guess I agree with everything said above.  If you have just one day, the absolute classic is the Highline trail along the Garden Wall.  Start at Logan Pass, that way the entire hike will be pretty much level and downhill at the end.  You can hitch-hike or take the shuttle back to your starting or ending point.  It's about 12 miles.  My favoriet dayhike , like MicStiff mentioned is the Dawson Pass hike.  Incredible scenery and a perfect loop.  15.4 miles but it can be shortened if you time it right and catch the boat on Two Medicine Pass.  As has been mentioned Gunsight Pass is fantastic but at about 20+ miles it might be a bit long for a day hike.  An added benefit to the Gunsight Pass hike is a stop a Sperrry Glacier where you can get a shelter if needed and a hot meal if you time it right.  It's a point to point hike so a shuttle of some kind is necessary.  As has been mentioned the hiking out of Many Glacier is probably the best in the park as it has so many options.  You could spend your entire time there and not run of great walks.  I too, would recommend the hike up to Iceberg Lake and the Ptarmigan Tunnel. About 15 miles out and back.  Finally for a relatively shorter and very worthwhile hike there is Cracker Lake.  11.2 miles round trip. These are just a few of the many fantastic hikes in the park, but they are among the best.  I guess that all of us pretty much made the same recommendations speaks well for them.  I would suggest you get Spring and Kirkendall's Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park guide book. It probably has the best descriptions of hikes in the park.
Remember that there are no bad hikes anywhere in the park. It's truly a magic place.  Have a great time.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We have 6 days of hiking and we will have a car.
 Post Number: 7
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Planning to head out there for 5 days or so at the end of August, so thanks from me as well for the info.  Going with my bro and cousin so backpacking probably not in the cards but we should be up for some longer day hikes.  We are not planning to necessarily stay at one campground the whole time.  Any favorites?  Also hoping to visit someone in Polebridge, so have gotten a lot of good advice from him.  Thanks again.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MackShaft @ Jul. 16 2013, 5:34 pm)

6 days in the park you have plenty of options. I would maybe use one day to check out the NW corner of the park near Bowman/Kintla Lakes. This will give you a chance to get away from the crowds and see a very beautiful side of Glacier. This is how I would rank the hikes that have been mentioned since there is so much to Glacier.

1) Dawson/Pitamkin (Maybe do a smaller day the next day)
2) Gunsight (Long day but possible)
3) Grinnell Glacier
4) Piegan/Siyeh Passes
5) Highline
6) Cracker Lake
7) Iceberg/Ptarmigan Tunnel

If you are into Peak Bagging and Off trail climbing Mt. Siyeh is a fun Climb looking down on Cracker Lake.

If you did any five-six of these trails you will see a lot more than most visitors to the park.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(WisMike @ Jul. 17 2013, 11:38 am)
Planning to head out there for 5 days or so at the end of August, so thanks from me as well for the info.  Going with my bro and cousin so backpacking probably not in the cards but we should be up for some longer day hikes.  We are not planning to necessarily stay at one campground the whole time.  Any favorites?  Also hoping to visit someone in Polebridge, so have gotten a lot of good advice from him.  Thanks again.

I don't have too much experience with campgrounds but I would choose one that centrally located such as St. Mary's (reserve beforehand) or Risinig Sun (First come). Not sure how fast they fill up, but staying near St. Mary's you are within an hour to Many/Lake McDonald/Two Medicine.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MicStaff @ Jul. 17 2013, 2:44 pm)

6 days in the park you have plenty of options. I would maybe use one day to check out the NW corner of the park near Bowman/Kintla Lakes. This will give you a chance to get away from the crowds and see a very beautiful side of Glacier. This is how I would rank the hikes that have been mentioned since there is so much to Glacier.

3) Grinnell Glacier
4) Piegan/Siyeh Passes
5) Highline
6) Cracker Lake

If you are into Peak Bagging and Off trail climbing Mt. Siyeh is a fun Climb looking down on Cracker Lake.

If you did any five-six of these trails you will see a lot more than most visitors to the park.

Excellent list MicStaff, and I agree with how you have the hikes ranked.  You really can't go wrong with any of them.

For the Gunsight trip as a day hike, its much more doable starting from the east side, and hiking west.  The elevation gain is less this way, and not nearly as steep.  

I think the highline gets overrated a little, because of its easy access.  You hug the wall, and have views accros a large valley, with mountains in the distance.  Still a great scene, just not the same as some of the other high country trails.  Over the years Ive come to enjoy the views from the flattop mountain trail more than the highline (despite all the burn) because its more centered in the valley.

The Northfork trails are wooded, and dayhiking up to the highcountry would be hard to do.  All of the lakes are beautiful, and its worth spending a day there hiking around to them.  Even just sitting at Bowman Lake is satisfying.  It a great place to camp, except for your not close to anything else.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 11
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 1:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MicStaff @ Jul. 17 2013, 12:44 pm)

3) Grinnell Glacier
4) Piegan/Siyeh Passes
5) Highline
6) Cracker Lake

Add Bull Lake to the list. Beautiful place! We saw a cow moose there.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Woodswoman @ Jul. 18 2013, 1:37 pm.[/quote)

I believe your referencing Swiftcurrent Pass Trail, leaving the west end of the Swiftcurrent Parking Lot, in the Many Glacier Valley?  Red Rock lakes and Fishercap also along that trail.  Lots of Moose in there, along with Grizzlies.  Pretty steep climb up to the pass, along with the firetower.  Leads over to the Granite Park Chalet and Highline Trail

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Jul. 18 2013, 1:29 pm)

(Woodswoman @ Jul. 18 2013, 1:37 pm.[/quote)

I believe your referencing Swiftcurrent Pass Trail, leaving the west end of the Swiftcurrent Parking Lot, in the Many Glacier Valley?  Red Rock lakes and Fishercap also along that trail.  Lots of Moose in there, along with Grizzlies.  Pretty steep climb up to the pass, along with the firetower.  Leads over to the Granite Park Chalet and Highline Trail

Ooops, it's Bullhead Lake, not Bull Lake :)

But yes, that's the trail (past Redrock Lake). The hike is only 6.6 easy miles to Bullhead Lake, roundtrip.

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 27 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the awesome info!! My daughter and I are super excited to go!
13 replies since Jul. 15 2013, 7:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Glacier NP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions