2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yellowstone - Fawn Pass vs Bighorn Pass, Any suggestions for which route to use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 3:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ill be doing some hiking up in this part of Yellowstone early next week.  I haven't hiked either of these passes.  Ive been told this is some of the best country in all of the park.  I'm looking for feedback on which route to take.  Would anyone suggest one over the other?  My current plan will be to make a large loop out of Mammoth, heading up into the skyrim area, then heading south to one of these routes to cross back over.  Obviously, it will be a longer route if I use bighorn pass, but miles don't really matter.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2013, 4:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both are great passes.  But, very different passes.  Fawn Pass is a broad pass with a pond and trees here and there.  If not for a sign, hard to tell the actual high point.  And, without many good views at the top.  Bighorn Pass is very distinct.  You reach it, and immediately start down the other side.  Great views up there.

My personal preference is Bighorn Pass, although I have friends who prefer Fawn Pass.  I like the approach to Bighorn Pass better from the west because it is more scenic on the way up.  Both are similar on the east side.

With Fawn Pass, you will have a LONG day, as you will have to go from a campsite on Fan Creek way over the pass and to the next campsite only a few miles from the Mammoth/Norris Road.

There are some good campsites along the Gallatin River between the Fawn Pass Cutoff Trail and Bighorn Pass (WB1 and WB6).  Breaks up the days nicer.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(burntfoot @ Jul. 16 2013, 4:22 pm)
Both are great passes.  But, very different passes.  Fawn Pass is a broad pass with a pond and trees here and there.  If not for a sign, hard to tell the actual high point.  And, without many good views at the top.  Bighorn Pass is very distinct.  You reach it, and immediately start down the other side.  Great views up there.

My personal preference is Bighorn Pass, although I have friends who prefer Fawn Pass.  I like the approach to Bighorn Pass better from the west because it is more scenic on the way up.  Both are similar on the east side.

With Fawn Pass, you will have a LONG day, as you will have to go from a campsite on Fan Creek way over the pass and to the next campsite only a few miles from the Mammoth/Norris Road.

There are some good campsites along the Gallatin River between the Fawn Pass Cutoff Trail and Bighorn Pass (WB1 and WB6).  Breaks up the days nicer.

Thanks Burntfoot.  Great feedback.  Planning to head up Bighorn.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't  know about Fawn Pass having never been there (looked at it plenty of times on the map, though).  However, Big Horn Pass and the Skyrim, are IMO, among the top hikes in the park, IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 17 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jul. 17 2013, 4:18 pm)
Don't  know about Fawn Pass having never been there (looked at it plenty of times on the map, though).  However, Big Horn Pass and the Skyrim, are IMO, among the top hikes in the park, IMO.

Are you referencing Big Horn Pass, or Big Horn Peak along the Sky Rim Trail?

No doubt the Sky Rim area is spectacular, im anxious to see what these more southern sections of the Gallatin look like.  I'll also be doing a trip up to Mount Holmes in a few weeks with poster Scatman.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 18 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah, there is a Bighorn Peak along the Skyrim.  Then, further south in the Gallatin Range is Bighorn Pass.  Your choice, but look at the map and where the campsites are located and see what works best.  Like I said before, two totally different passes.  Bighorn Pass comes up quickly with a great view at the top.  Fawn Pass is more gradual from the west, but gets prettier and prettier until you get to the top.  Views at the top towards the distance are less, though.  I've done both passes as a loop.  Once Bighorn, then Fawn.  Once Fawn, then Bighorn.

--------------
I love the mountains!
5 replies since Jul. 16 2013, 3:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yellowstone - Fawn Pass vs Bighorn Pass
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions