2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Uintas Wilderness vs. Great Basin NP, Which way do I go?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Buckeye Ron Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2013, 10:39 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mid-Sept. Solo. 4 days, 3 nights. I'm on the fence here between Uintas or GBNP. I want to do some fly fishing as well so Uintas surpasses GBNP for that. But right now I'm favoring GBNP for the more southerly latitude and slightly lower elevation hoping it will be a little warmer and less changeable. I also don't want to plan big miles every day under a full pack because I'm coming from the Midwest and won't be acclimated to the elevation. I'm thinking maybe base camping then fishing and 8 to 10 mile day hikes during the day. GBNP seems better suited for this, too. I'd be interested in some opinions between one vs. the other.

--------------
~ On the keyboard of life, always keep one finger on the Escape key ~
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hopefully Eric will comment on Great Basin for you. I think it might yet be quite warm there. Mid September is often THE BEST of the Rockies calendar. It's when I'd love to do the Bechler again.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
TheBeef Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 10:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My understanding is that fall color should be starting around then in GBNP. I haven't been to either, but I'm headed there a few weeks later. I admit that I'm more excited about going to Mt Moriah just to the north though. Guidebook says Hendry's Creek on the way up to Moriah and the Table has good trout.
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 15 2013, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with DC: I wouldn't hesitate to do the Uintas in mid-September, weather-wise.

A few years ago I did a 6-day solo trip in the North Cascades in late September. I got a bit of snow in the high country on day 2, but the weather was glorious after that. That's much further north and a bit later than what you have in mind.
 Post Number: 5
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 18 2013, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had some great fishing in the Uintas in mid-September.

It was 10-11 years ago, but the weather was fine, just right for hiking, fishing and sleeping, but I did have a tent, a dog and a sleeping pad.  Days were perfect, nights just around freezing, but very fine.

Fish were aggressive, and a lot of fun.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 6
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would definitely choose the Uinta's over Great Basin.  The weather should be great.  You can easily hike in a short distance to set up a base camp, and wear yourself out fishing different lakes every day.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 6:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all. Since I want fishing to be a big part of this trip, I've decided to go with Uintas over GBNP. I'll be flying into SLC so I can always change destinations at the last minute if need be due to weather or fires.

My plan is to camp and wander the upper reaches of Rock Creek Basin and hit all the lakes in that area: Black, Rosalie, Lightning, etc. It looks beautiful and from what I've read online, not well visited.

What's the bear situation there? Should I carry bear spray?

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 11:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Buckeye Ron @ Aug. 22 2013, 6:06 pm)
Thanks all. Since I want fishing to be a big part of this trip, I've decided to go with Uintas over GBNP. I'll be flying into SLC so I can always change destinations at the last minute if need be due to weather or fires.

My plan is to camp and wander the upper reaches of Rock Creek Basin and hit all the lakes in that area: Black, Rosalie, Lightning, etc. It looks beautiful and from what I've read online, not well visited.

What's the bear situation there? Should I carry bear spray?

That is a really beautiful area.  And man there is a lot of lakes there.  What is your plan to get there?  I would go from mirror lake road, along the highline trail over Rocky Sea Pass.  I don't recommend going from the Upper Stillwater Trailhead.  

As far as bears, no I would not bring bear spray, unless you like it as an overall self defense.  You will see people there, not many, but a few up by the lakes, and along the highline if you go in that way.  I was chased for a while by a mother moose last September in-between the rock creek trail and Grandaddy  Basin.  It was my fault though, because I walked right up on her and her calf.  She literally chased me across the river there, and continued on downstream for a while.  You will probably see some elk up in that basin too.  But for bears, I just wouldn't be worried about them.  There was an incident earlier this year that made the news.  A bear jumped on a tent or something.  But they aren't that common, and they're black bears.  Ive never hung my food, always sleep with it there.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, coming in from Utah 150 over Rocky Sea Pass.

Good. I didn't want to spend the $50 or so on bear spray once I got into SLC.

Crazy moose encounter.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the last minute, because of weather, I ended up at GBNP. I hiked the Baker-Johnson Lakes loop clockwise, camping at the north side of Baker for 3 nights. No rain, but the second day was very windy (50+ mph). This happened to be the day I decided to day hike the ridges above the lakes in hopes of reaching the bristlecones at Mt. Washington.  My map showed a "route" along the crest of the ridge to Washington, and it is literally just a route. No trail to speak of, just scrambling and boulder hopping. I only made it half way, not because of the lack of a trail but because of the wind, which was increasing and literally knocked me off my feet a couple times. Aside from that, great trip. I only saw one other couple camped at the south end of the lake. Caught a couple brookies with my Tenkara rod. The glow of the full moon on the cliffs above Baker is something I will not soon forget. And to top it off, the aspens were in full fall color splendor above 9500'. GBNP is a hidden gem in the NPS system IMHO. A few random pics below.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wonderful, reminds me of some of the San Juans in Colorado. Glad you had a good time, and many thanks for sharing.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 12
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Buckeye Ron,

Thanks for the report, pictures.

I've done the ridgewalk north from Mt. Washington a half dozen times and I think you hit the one patch of significant talus (above Johnson Lake), south of there it is easy peasy, a stroll (unless the wind is 50mph).

The grove on Washington's east ridge is mesmerizing, well worth the effort to get there.

Great you had an alternative all sized up, nimbly sidestepped the weather.

TheBeef,

Moriah is one of my fav places in the world and The Table is an otherworldly veranda. Hendry's is a great approach route. The trout there are native Bonneville strain Cutthroats. I've seen them, but haven't fished there. Some rock hopping when the trail crosses the creek, poles help. Note the spring at the very top of Hendry's (trail is nearby, few hundred feet of vertical before the plateau) -- springs on The Table may not be flowing now.
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"easy peasy" - ??????????

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the TR and gorgeous pics !

I've driven past the area, always in a rush and wondered what was up there.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Sep. 22 2013, 3:55 pm)
I've done the ridgewalk north from Mt. Washington a half dozen times and I think you hit the one patch of significant talus (above Johnson Lake), south of there it is easy peasy, a stroll (unless the wind is 50mph).

The grove on Washington's east ridge is mesmerizing, well worth the effort to get there.

Good to know if I ever make it back there. Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 11:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer,

Easy Peasy = No worries. Sorry, maybe it's a regional saying.

Ron,

It's a great area, pulled me back time and again. Early June is often prime to work the high ridges -- enough snow to grab water from, but typically not enough to be problematic. Utah's Deep Creek Range is a northern extension of the Snake Range and also well worthwhile. Notably white granite there.

Also, one other great way to experience the Mt. Washington bristlecone grove is to ascend the S. Fork of Baker Cr. trail. Sleep in the broad meadow at its headwaters on night one. Take the trail south to the jct. with the Snake Cr. Trail, then south, off trail past Dead Lake and ascend Mt. Washington's easterly spur ridge. Atop the ridge, ascend westerly (believe it or not there is an old bulldozer track) and sleep in the grove. Day three walk the crest north and descend Baker Cr. trail to the TH. I've also done a trip continuing north on/near the crest and traversed Wheeler. Wheeler's south ridge is pleasant scrambling, some unpleasant couch size talus south of Baker Peak.
 Post Number: 17
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Sep. 21 2013, 9:19 pm)
Wonderful, reminds me of some of the San Juans in Colorado. Glad you had a good time, and many thanks for sharing.

Uhh, blasphemy.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 18
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice.  What is the second picture of?
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Blasphemy? I think I committed that once when I mentioned that the Deep Creek Range has more vertical base to top than the Teton Range.

Not that I don't love the Tetons, but also a fan of Great Basin mountain ranges.

Mike, I think the second picture is a log miner's cabin or structure near Johnson's or Baker Lake. I've never seen them up close and it is Buckeye Ron's picture, best to let him answer.
 Post Number: 20
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 23 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Shhhh...... San Juans in Colorado are better and the Tetons are steeper......  :D

Beside no one likes how Utah is run so they won't want to come here......lol
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 27 2013, 12:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice!  Yeah, the weather has sucked out here for the last several weeks!  Glad you were able to avoid it.

--------------
20 replies since Aug. 14 2013, 10:39 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Uintas Wilderness vs. Great Basin NP
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions