2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Four Pass Loop Trip< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Messiah62 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 6:08 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Me and two friends are getting ready to go do Four Pass Loop in September. We would like to also try to climb Snowmass while out there. Has anyone attempted this? I figure that we would have to add an additional day to the standard 4 day Four Pass Loop trip. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Snowmass is a pretty common extra to that trip for those who are competent to do the climb.

You should be able to find quite a bit of info about the climb at 14ers.com and summit post.org.
 Post Number: 3
MisterMolls Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be out there in Sept as well and am contemplating the same as we are looking to do it 4 nights in.

I found this guys logs from 6/23/2013
http://www.14ers.com/php14er....Include

From other things i'm reading there should be no snow, but the danger is increased for rock slides.

Let me know how your planning goes, and good luck!
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 22 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So we are now also looking to add both Maroon North and Maroon South to our hikes.
 Post Number: 5
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 2:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might as well just make 2 separate peak-bagging trips than do the yawn-inducing loop. Trip 1: Bells and Pyramid. Trip 2: Snowmass and Capitol. You could probably complete both trips in 4-6 days total.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 2:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Messiah62 @ Aug. 22 2013, 8:02 pm)
So we are now also looking to add both Maroon North and Maroon South to our hikes.

Also I wouldn't mention these 2 peaks and "hike" in the same statement. There is nothing "hikey" about the North Maroon. If you're looking for a really sweet adventure with technical moves, do the whole Traverse. Otherwise, if you think North Maroon will be a hike, I'd stay away.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 7
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well said Rem.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 8
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 29 2013, 8:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was far from yawn-inducing for me.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(buddero @ Aug. 29 2013, 8:34 pm)

Perhaps you are complacent being on trails 100% of the time.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 9:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps you're just a snobbish little miscreant.

--------------

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Aug. 29 2013, 11:35 pm)

And, of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I love off-trail travel and always incorporate it into my trips, but it's not for everyone. It does involve an increased risk of getting lost, injured, etc., that's not a good fit for everyone.

And, let's face it--a big part of the appeal for many of us is a greater chance of solitude.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm still entitled to my opinion that staying on a heavily over-used trail for 4 days would be pretty yawn-inducing.

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Aug. 30 2013, 10:14 am)
I'm still entitled to my opinion that staying on a heavily over-used trail for 4 days would be pretty yawn-inducing.

No one's saying you're not entitled to your opinion.
 Post Number: 14
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 30 2013, 12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So maybe it would be better to just do Snowmass and Maroon Bell and skip north Maroon Bell as that one sounds pretty hardcore (class 4) and we may not be ready for that.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing a big loop like this and one Fourteener like Snowmass on the trip can be very rewarding. Another day dayhike something cool like Quandry, Pikes Peak from the Crags, etc.

Have a great time but don't get into stuff you shouldn't be wondering whether or not you can handle it.

--------------

Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 11:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Aug. 30 2013, 11:55 am)

(Reminiscence @ Aug. 30 2013, 10:14 am)

No one's saying you're not entitled to your opinion.

No one is saying that someone was saying I'm not entitled to my opinion. Saying.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 11:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Sep. 02 2013, 6:27 pm)
Doing a big loop like this and one Fourteener like Snowmass on the trip can be very rewarding. Another day dayhike something cool like Quandry, Pikes Peak from the Crags, etc.

Have a great time but don't get into stuff you shouldn't be wondering whether or not you can handle it.

I'd agree with this miscreant quoted above; stick with Snowmass this time.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Sep. 02 2013, 6:27 pm)

Our itinerary currently is:

Monday:
Drive early from Omaha, NE and camp at the trail head.

Tuesday:
Begin Hike, Climb Maroon Bell, Camp at Lake.

Weds:
Hike, Camp

Thurs:
Hike, Camp at Snowmass lake

Fri:
Climb Snowmass, Camp at Snowmass lake

Sat:
Hike back to trail head and drive up to Gleenwood Springs and stay the night.

Sun:
Drive back to Omaha, NE.

We are also taking a small Australian Sheppard with us.
 Post Number: 20
MisterMolls Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 12:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you doing the standard East Slope Route?
http://www.14ers.com/routema....ountain

Please report back with trip conditions as I'm heading out on the 18th to do the 4 Pass Loop with a topper of Snowmass as well.

Best of Luck!
 Post Number: 21
buddero Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Aug. 30 2013, 12:35 am)

But I'm not on trails all the time - though I am more as I get older. Anyway, it's a great trek and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

--------------
Reach out your hand, if your cup be empty
If your cup is full, may it be again

Journal and links to refugees, backpacking, travel in Asia, photos, honky-tonk angels, other beautiful things...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MisterMolls @ Sep. 03 2013, 12:06 pm)
Are you doing the standard East Slope Route?
http://www.14ers.com/routema....ountain

Please report back with trip conditions as I'm heading out on the 18th to do the 4 Pass Loop with a topper of Snowmass as well.

Best of Luck!

Yes we are planning on doing the East Slope. With a dog, I don't want to get into anything over a class 3. I will be taking lots of pictures as well as some video with a gopro.
21 replies since Aug. 21 2013, 6:08 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Four Pass Loop Trip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions