2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Glacier Day Hikes, Recommendations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
fquail Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 7:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Three of us will be in Glacier in early September.  Most of our time will be spent in the backcountry, but we have two days available for day hikes.  One of them we have tentatively slotted for the round trip up to Ptarmigan Tunnel from Many Glacier.  We're looking for another idea.  I've been up to Grinnell Glacier, although my companions have not. Other ideas, ye experts?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MackShaft Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just there and my daughter and I loved the Siyeh Bend/Siyeh Pass to Sunrift Gorge. Was such an awesome Hike!
 Post Number: 3
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at the suggestions in this thread:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1165910

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 4
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 21 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MackShaft @ Aug. 21 2013, 10:33 pm)
I was just there and my daughter and I loved the Siyeh Bend/Siyeh Pass to Sunrift Gorge. Was such an awesome Hike!

I would recommend this hike as well.  Beautiful loop you can do working with the shuttles.  You can also hit Piegan pass if you want to add a few more miles to your day, both passes are worth it.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2013, 12:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll try to be brief since there are so many great hikes in Glacier that one can't possibly mention them all. I'll mention two or maybe three.  The classic is the Highline Trail from Logan Pass to the Sun Road.  Very easy - all pretty level except for the last 3-4 miles which are downhill.  It can be crowded with good reason as it's a wonderful hike for wildlife, views and ease of hiking.  My highest recommendation would be the Dawson Pass hike at Two Medicine.  Absolutely fantastic views.  Once you've climbed to the ridge it's all pretty level.  You won't believe the scenery and then it's downhill all the way home from the ridge. And it's a perfect loop.  You can even shorten the hike by a few miles if you catch the boat on Two Medicine Lake hike on the way out.   I just got back from Glacier on Friday.  While there, my daughter (28) and youngest son (22) and I did the Floral Park traverse from Logan Pass to Lake McDonald. Undoubtedly one of the finest hikes I've ever taken.   It's 20 miles of hiking, almost half off trail, across tundra, mountain meadows, snowfields and a glacier and two high passes.  Just incredible.  It took us 13 hours of almost continuous walking but it's in class by itself.  It's not for everyone because of the length, terrain and route finding skills necessary, but if you're a strong and experienced hiker, I doubt you'll find a more spectacular hike in the country - bar none.

Enjoy Glacier. It's a magic place.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 26 2013, 7:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Iceberg Lake is up the same trail as the tunnel.  Makes for a long day, but it is quite a setting.  The view from the tunnel is cool, saw a griz with cubs on the way down, had to wait for them to cross the trail.  I think the entire hike to Iceberg & the tunnel was about 14-15 miles.  Just a thought.
 Post Number: 7
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2013, 5:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer,

I was wondering how your Floral Park venture went, thanks for sketching that out.

Other "day hikes" worth mentioning.

Two Med to Scenic pt. leave trail, ridgewalk high meadow/tundra to "Medicine Peak" the west to Henry. All this is an "alpine stroll", last 100' of Henry is a bit climbey. Do as up to Henry and return or go over the top of Henry and descend to the Henry-Appistoki saddle, scree ski down to the valley and loop back to the trail. Sweeping panoramas.

Grizzly Mt.. Hoof to Two Med Pass, and just continue walking up the rocky crest (moderate) as the trail drops to Park Cr.
Great views, quiet summit, relatively mellow ascent.
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2013, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Sep. 01 2013, 5:50 pm)
Jer,

I was wondering how your Floral Park venture went, thanks for sketching that out.

The Floral Park hike was incredible.  I'll give a report as soon as I get around to posting the pictures.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
WisMike Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 03 2013, 2:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just got back from Glacier as well.  We did the Garden Wall portion of Highline, Grinnell Glacier viewpoint (hard not to recommend that), Piegan Pass via Siyeh Bend and back, St. Mary/Virgina falls (very nice), Hidden Lakes, and maybe some other shorter stuff and some little walks along the road.

Working on my photos.  Great time but too short and didn't get to check out the west side of the park (the campground near the Cedars looked phenomenal, and that was as far west as we got) and hit a storm right after that (on Thursday) which knocked down a lot of branches and was blowing waterfalls up the mountain.  It was a bit scary but at least we were in our car at the time and not on the trail (though I'm sure many were, eek) and it mostly cleared up within an hour or so.
8 replies since Aug. 21 2013, 7:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Glacier Day Hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions