2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear Advice - Wind Rivers, Sept< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
OldBill Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 5:38 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was hoping to get some advise from the WRR experts out there. I've done overnights for several years, but plan a 5d solo next week. I'd like to reduce the base pack weight from 16 lbs (an additional 2 lbs will be used for camera and fishing gear).  Current forecast is no rain all 5 days.  

Is it safe to eliminate rain gear (jacket 8z, pants 9.5z)?

Instead of thermal tops and bottoms (15z total), what about eliminating the tops?

I use an ExOfficio-like shirt as base since temps climb rapidly and hope a Thermawrap + 4z wind shirt should be warm enough for the 20F mornings.  Worst case is to also don my separate sleeping thermals (6z silk) for early starts.  

This may border on unsafe for the Winds in Sept, but carrying an extra 1.5 lb gear 30+ miles seems crazy too.

Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
offtrail Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even though the forecast doesn't call for rain, pop up storms can occur anywhere and anytime. Bring the rain gear.

As far as the thermals, that's a matter of preference. I was there for 2 weeks in August and I used my thermals every night. I like to stay out of the tent and watch star at night and it cools off quickly once the sun sets. Instead of thermals, you could always use the raingear for an extra layer to save a little weight.

offtrail
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 8:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never venture into the high Rockies without rain gear regardless of what the forecast says.  Those mountains are big enough and high enough to make their own weather and things can change in a minute.  There's been many times I've endured horrendous storms in the high country while the plains below were basking in beautiful weather.  JMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 04 2013, 11:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is a joke post, right? No rain gear? 1.5 pounds vs. possible hypothermia/death?

Jer couldn't have said it better. !@#$ happens. I'm no gear guy but what the !#$ were you planning to do for WIND in the WIND River Range?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 5
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 7:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never go to the Winds without rain gear! Period. Been there done that long ago.

Nights will likely be in the 20's. Hell, nights get into the 20's in August.

I use light fleece for my thermal top and layer accordingly. I don't use thermal bottoms in July, but I do if I go in August/September.

I use my rain gear for layering also, if needed as it helps as wind breaker material too.
 Post Number: 6
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 months

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 9:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will echo the sentiments of others.   September can be fabulous or get a sudden snow storm.  Skimping on clothing is not a wise move in the Rockies in Sept -- or any month for that matter.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OK - I'm convinced to haul it in and like the idea of using it for an extra layer instead of bringing a second set of thermals.  

No joke DC.  I've spent 2 wks in the area every Sept for the past 15 years (including T+ and Wiggins Fk).  Used rain gear once, for all of 1 hr.  Maybe just lucky. The first 5m from Meadow L TH are brutal and I'm trying to limit knee stress (operation earlier this year) as starting pack weight will be 25+lb.  

Probably makes sense to just keep my sleeping thermals on for the first 2 hours until the frost melts.  Surprisingly, wind hasn't been an issue. Used to use an insulated jacket, but switched to an ultralight wind shirt + montbell thermawrap.

Since I get to do this only once a year, thanks again to everyone who has far more experience out there!
 Post Number: 8
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What those guys said. I'd never do a high Rockies trip without raingear under any circumstances. I got snow near Milwaukee Pass in the Colorado Sangres in late July. Anything can happen up there.

As far as hiking in thermals, I wouldn't (unless it's 0 degrees or something), but HYOH. I find that the weather and, more importantly, my internal thermostat, tend to warm up drastically after about 10 minutes on the trail.
 Post Number: 9
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 12:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sitting in Pinedale right now. It's been a muggy summer with numerous rain storms during the past few weeks. Overall the weather is good, but you'd be foolish not to have rain gear. I'm heading in to Titcomb Basin on Saturday and I'll be "rain geared up".
Rics in Pinedale.

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 10
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree that you definitely need to have rain gear.  I'm not sure it necessarily has to be a jacket & pants.  I always carry both of those in summer, when afternoon rainstorms are pretty likely, but in Sept with a good forecast, I might just carry a good poncho and a goretex hat.  Or maybe the jacket and a couple of big trash bags that could be worn skirt style over my legs.  
If I were thinking of leaving part of the thermals behind, I'd be inclined to bring the top rather than the pants.  I'd rather have a warm core.
Have a fun trip.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 11
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 1:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whats the problem with 16lb base?    I wouldn't worry about raingear and thermals....take them.  As DC said.....possible death or not.  The winds are the one place I ALWAYS take rain top/bottoms, wind gear and thermal tops and bottoms.  They just create their own weather when the feel like it.... I have always been rained on once a trip there.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 8:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OldBill @ Sep. 05 2013, 11:20 am)
OK - I'm convinced to haul it in and like the idea of using it for an extra layer instead of bringing a second set of thermals.  

No joke DC.  I've spent 2 wks in the area every Sept for the past 15 years (including T+ and Wiggins Fk).  Used rain gear once, for all of 1 hr.  Maybe just lucky. The first 5m from Meadow L TH are brutal and I'm trying to limit knee stress (operation earlier this year) as starting pack weight will be 25+lb.  

Probably makes sense to just keep my sleeping thermals on for the first 2 hours until the frost melts.  Surprisingly, wind hasn't been an issue. Used to use an insulated jacket, but switched to an ultralight wind shirt + montbell thermawrap.

Since I get to do this only once a year, thanks again to everyone who has far more experience out there!

Don't mind me, I'm just an argumentative posterior...

Your fun Run is this Saturday here in Jackson. Gonna break the $100,000,000 mark this year!

Whatever you do have an awesome trip man. We do appreciate your money here in Wyoming, so just remember to dump your trash in Montana and keep Wyoming clean.

Seriously, thanks,

John

--------------

Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 05 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems to be a consensus here about rain wear.  

Always appreciate your interstate help, John. :D

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Sep. 05 2013, 10:33 am)
As far as hiking in thermals, I wouldn't (unless it's 0 degrees or something), but HYOH. I find that the weather and, more importantly, my internal thermostat, tend to warm up drastically after about 10 minutes on the trail.

+1

Part of staying dry is avoiding unecessary perspiration. The clothes against your skin can get wet on a sunny day, and you need dry thermals for camp.

Best to start the hike a little chilly; you'll soon be warm from exertion, especially if the hike starts uphill.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 15
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've spent 2 wks in the area every Sept for the past 15 years (including T+ and Wiggins Fk).

If you have 15 years experience, in the area, why in the world are you posting here for advice you don't want, and shouldn't need.

I know that some people are slow learners, but this seems extreme.

Ultra light is getting way out of hand, IMO.

But, as Darwin pointed out, nature can handle problems like that.  heh

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 10 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wiggins! Yeah buddy.

Just to let you know we've been getting some significant moisture.

--------------

Post Number: 17
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wwwest @ Sep. 10 2013, 8:51 pm)
I've spent 2 wks in the area every Sept for the past 15 years (including T+ and Wiggins Fk).

If you have 15 years experience, in the area, why in the world are you posting here for advice you don't want, and shouldn't need.

I know that some people are slow learners, but this seems extreme.

Ultra light is getting way out of hand, IMO.

But, as Darwin pointed out, nature can handle problems like that.  heh

Great reply.

A 16 pound pack?  Seriously?  And you want to lower it?  

Lift some weights, grow some muscle, so your body's not so weak.  Then you can carry more with you on your big trip.  That way you can carry the 1 pound of rain gear you will probably really appreciate this year.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 29 2013, 3:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I can report back that it became a non-issue as the forecast changed.  Left the extra thermals behind and cut some food to reduce stress on the new knee as much as possible.  Walked out in a hail/thunderstorm so glad I was equipped.  Still no golden trout after my 6th backpacking trip. But, the knee held up over 40 miles in 4 days (yeah, I know, but that's my limit in hail/rain/snow) and can't wait to try again next year (though maybe not via Scab Creek).  

Thanks to all for the advise & DC: I now know what you meant by the "fun Run".  Know it seems lame to some, but glad I started walking the backcountry instead of just fishing the major rivers and doing the dude-ranch bit, even this late in life.

Cheers,
OldBill
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad it all worked out.  We were wondering how it went.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No golden trout in 6 trips? Have you done research at all to know which lakes they are in? It's a little hit or miss but within 6 trips you should have encountered some if you are in the right places for them.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, although one person who is a resident told me he's failed for years.  Maybe he was just trying to make me feel good. I have the list from F&G and have not found a way through the downfall to Clear L. Came up empty on Faler, Elbow, Mistake and Prue.  Was going to attempt the famed "Flying Monkey" in the Fitz this year, but experts said I'd be scrambling over avalanche fields to get there from the Bridger side. But my trips are short and always in Sept, so that must play a factor as well. I'd like to try Faler again, but the fire this year nixed that.  Also, trying the outlet from Elbow might be more productive than the lake itself. I suppose I could also try Golden in the Fitz, but I've heard mixed reviews on that.
 Post Number: 22
SomethingBlue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 10 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Bill how do pack that light? I would lucky to keep my pack to forty pounds. Could you share your pack list?

Thanks Russ

--------------
"Every man dies, but not every man lives."
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hope this works - might have to cut and paste into Excel to reformat - Bill
-------------------
Category Item Weight (OZ)
-------------------
Clothing Generally Worn
Base/Mid Layer - Shirts Ex Officio 9.5
Base Layer - Underwear REI 2.5
Wind Shirt Marmot Trail Wind Jacket - Medium 4.25
Liner Socks SmartWool 1.5
Socks SmartWool - mid-hiker 3.25
Hiking Boots + orthotics Scarpa Kailash 10 40
Clothing - Pants 10
Gloves Wool with leather reinforced palms 2.5
Hat   Balaclava or fleece 2.5
Gators OR low gaiters 3.5
Other Items Carried
Trekking Poles REI Summit 20
Watches Generic el-cheapo 1
Sunglasses Generic wraparound polarized 0.5
Packed Clothing
Raingear - Jacket GoLite Virga 8
Raingear - Pants Sierra Design 9.5
Base Layer - Shirts Long Sleeve Top 0
Base Layer - Pants Long Pants 7.5
Sleepwear Terramar Silks 6
Sleepwear Fleece Socks 2
Insulating Layer Montbell UL Thermawrap 10
Hats Outdoor Research Sun Hat 2.5
Gloves – Breathable Mitts Gordini Rain Mitts, Insulated 5.5
Footwear - Liner Socks SmartWool 1.5
Footwear - Socks SmartWool 3.25
Underwear REI 2.5
Sleep System
Shelter Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekker 25
Sleeping Bag WM Versalite 32
Open Cell TR NeoAir Xlite (Reg) R=3, 2.5" 12
Packing
Backpack Deuter ActZero 50 + 15 53
Miscellaneous Trash Bags+ziplocks 2.5
Stuff Sacks 2
Cooking and Water

Garbage sack 1G Ziplock 0
Cookware 1 plastic spoon 0
Bear Protection 40' TheGriz line, Rock Sack, mini-carabiner(2), 28x20 OpSac(1), food stuffsac 5.5
Water Treatment Aqua Mira Kit (Repackaged) 2
Filter Frontier Pro 2
Water Bottles 32oz Aquafina Bottle 1.8
Water Bottles Collapsible Nalgene 1L 2
Other Essentials
Headlamps & Flashlights Zebralight H51w 3
Miscellaneous Car Key, Wallet/ID, credit cards,… 2
Miscellaneous
Navigation Map 1
Navigation Compass 1
First Aid Assorted Wound, Blister Care, and Medications 2.75
Survival matches, mini Bic,  whistle, cotton, duct tape 1.5
Toiletries & Personal Care lip balm, ZnOxide stick, 1.25
Toiletries & Personal Care Purell & GoldBond Moisturizer 4
Toiletries & Personal Care Dehydrated, biodegradable wipes (w/campsoap), 2G ziplock for laundry, 3ml bleach,  2 clips for drying clothes, Camp towel & washcloth,  trash bag for used towels 4.25
Toiletries & Personal Care TP (1 Scotts 6.75), Trowel(3z), trash bag for used towels 10.5
Toiletries & Personal Care Eyes –Reading glasses(0.5) + Saline + Spare contacts+ 2x 3yd floss + toothbrush 4
Knife Swiss 2.5
Batteries Canon NB-11L 0.7
Miscellaneous
Cameras Canon A2400IS + case 5.75
Camera accessories Polarizer + case + lens cleaner + battery(0.5) 3
Camera accessories MiniPod 4
Fishing Gear – Reel Crystal River Cahill with sink-tip 4
Fishing Gear – Rod+Case Custom case + rod 11
Fishing Gear – lures, etc nippers, forceps 3.5
Waders 0
BearSpray + Holster 8z CounterAssault 0

Consumables
Food 1 lb 11 oz (0.75 kg) / day 128
Water Liter 33.81
Fuel Ethanol - 1oz 0

Weight Summary oz
(1) Total Weight Worn or Carried: 4 lb 101
(2) Total Base Pack Weight 8 lb 9 oz (3.88 kg) 268
(3) Total Weight of Consumables 10 lb 13 oz (4.89 kg) 162
(4) Total Initial Pack Weight (2) + (3) 19 lb 5 oz (8.77 kg) 430
(5) Full Skin Out Weight (1) + (2) + (3) 23 lb 5 oz (10.58 kg) 531
(6) Total Base Pack Weight - No Camera/Fishing Gear 223
 Post Number: 24
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 11 2013, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting list.  Have to spend time looking closer and comparing with mine.  We did 115 miles/13 days in the Winds and I started with 41lbs (less water), ended at 26lbs

One thing, buy the larger size bear spray.  You'll get two shots if you ever need it.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 12 2013, 6:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Bob. That's good advice. I did not pack the spray this trip (last number is 0) since I was in a low frequency area (Scab Creek). If I'd known that it was serious mtn lion territory, I would have packed it.  Did have a bear cross less than 20 yds away on the way out.  But it was just a black bear so scooted off when I made more noise.
 Post Number: 26
SomethingBlue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 15 2013, 9:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Bill, I carry about 1/4 of the stuff you listed and my pack is still 40+ pounds I must be doing something terribly wrong.

--------------
"Every man dies, but not every man lives."
25 replies since Sep. 04 2013, 5:38 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear Advice - Wind Rivers, Sept
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions