2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fort Collins< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 8:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Heading to RMNP. Want a good hike in the FT Collins area to do en route to acclimate to higher elevations. 6 Miles or so. Any help appreciated. Need a specific trail head and info

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 9:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Head up Poudre Canyon to Crown Point Road.  Head up into the Comanche Peaks.

Don't remember the name of the trail, but it starts at the end of the road.

Nice area.  You might consider doing this instead of RMHP.  There are others options in that area as well.
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 06 2013, 10:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 06 2013, 7:24 pm)

Nice area.  You might consider doing this instead of RMHP.  There are others options in that area as well.

That would be the Browns Lk TH. But that is above timberline, just as high as RMNP, so is not really a "good" acclimation hike.

A good one, though 8 mi long, is Crosier Mtn., just below Estes Park. There are 3 TH's. The upper one, in Glen Haven, tr # 931-2 is the shortest and "easiest". The summit has an incredible view of the entire east side of RMNP just a few miles away.

Here's a link to the trail at Summit Post.

At the western side of Ft. Collins is Horsetooth Mountain Park (HTMP) with lots of trails that you can link to your mileage desire.

I'd suggest the Horsetooth Rock trail, which is hiker only, as the area is very heavily used by MTB's as well.

Here's a link to the Park map.

Another excellent loop is just north, in Lory State Park. Do the Well Gulch / Timber/ Arthur's Rock / Overlook trails loop counterclockwise from the Homestead Picnic Area TH. Trails 4,3,1,2 on this MAP

When are coming out ? It was 99F here in town this afternoon !!

There's no way in Hades I'd have wanted to been on a "low" trail today, although the heat is supposed to moderate a little next week.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 4
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why waste a hundred miles of drive time to acclimate to high altitude above Ft. Collins?

Drive directly up to RMNP from Loveland, spend the night at the Lawn Lake TH, within RMNP, and do a one overnight hike up to Lawn Lake. It's one of the most spectacularly beautiful lakes in the Rockies, and easily accessible along a 7-mile trail.

Acclimatization is simple....your body needs to build billions of new oxygen-carrying red blood cells, but it can do that with just one night of sleeping at altitude, along with some moderate exercise the next day. A hike to Lawn Lake is perfect for this. Plus the hike is filled with sights of the devastation of the dam burst 20 years ago that flooded Estes Park.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 07 2013, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all. Heading to RMNP on the coming Thurs for 6 days of day trips (staying at a place Fall River Rd). Coming from 690 feet ele of no. MO so need a bit of acclimation and figured something on Thurs on the way to RMNP after spending the previous night in a motel somewhere in the middle of Nebraska (unless we decide to drive 13 hours in one day which we have done numerous times over the years and did this summer a couple of times). Been in the MTNs before so I know what to expect. Lot of good ideas. Thanks again.
Hope the forecast is right and it cools down in RMNP. Here in MO we are in humid mid 90s right now.

--------------
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

leafwalker, I hope you had a "bailout" plan, (bad pun intended).

The only way in out of RMNP is west over Trail Ridge.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 12 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I assume that Canyon road from Loveland to estes is a mess? Any good pictures of it?
 Post Number: 8
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tallgrass @ Sep. 12 2013, 9:06 pm)
I assume that Canyon road from Loveland to estes is a mess? Any good pictures of it?

Look at Weather.com, the Denver Post, the Boulder Camera or just google Colorado flooding on youtube.   There are videos and stills all over the web.

Right now I am wondering about leafwalker and his wife.  I hope they check in soon.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Sep. 06 2013, 8:00 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 06 2013, 7:24 pm)

That would be the Browns Lk TH. But that is above timberline, just as high as RMNP, so is not really a "good" acclimation hike.

A good one, though 8 mi long, is Crosier Mtn., just below Estes Park. There are 3 TH's. The upper one, in Glen Haven, tr # 931-2 is the shortest and "easiest". The summit has an incredible view of the entire east side of RMNP just a few miles away.

This is a video taken yesterday of the trailhead I mentioned to leafwalker

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Deborah @ Sep. 14 2013, 6:42 pm)

(Tallgrass @ Sep. 12 2013, 9:06 pm)

Look at Weather.com, the Denver Post, the Boulder Camera or just google Colorado flooding on youtube.   There are videos and stills all over the web.

Right now I am wondering about leafwalker and his wife.  I hope they check in soon.

Thanks for caring. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but 6things got in the way.
Makes me feel good (you're caring) . We, by luck, stopped at a highway rest area/tourist info place in Sterling and the guy asked where we were heading to. Our response was Estes Park and he said "no you're not". Panic. We worked through it and ended up in the Black Hills. One day earlier and we'd been up a creek without a paddle so to speak. Good place (Black Hills), but disappointing relatively speaking. Had a lot of good day hikes and hit the Badlands for a 5 hour hike on the way home.
Thanks for caring.

--------------
- Chinese proverb

Peace and love.

Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 05 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for checking in and glad you got to salvage your trip !!

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Oct. 05 2013, 8:05 pm)
Thanks for caring. Sorry I didn't respond earlier, but 6things got in the way.
Makes me feel good (you're caring) . We, by luck, stopped at a highway rest area/tourist info place in Sterling and the guy asked where we were heading to. Our response was Estes Park and he said "no you're not". Panic. We worked through it and ended up in the Black Hills. One day earlier and we'd been up a creek without a paddle so to speak. Good place (Black Hills), but disappointing relatively speaking. Had a lot of good day hikes and hit the Badlands for a 5 hour hike on the way home.
Thanks for caring.

Thanks for letting us know about your alternate adventure.   I'm glad you go the warning and were able to find a safe place to go.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
11 replies since Sep. 06 2013, 8:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fort Collins
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions