2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Boulder Floods, 18.6 inches of rain at my house...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 2:12 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here in East Boulder, we've gotten 18.6 inches of rain this week, with another 2.5 inches forecast for Sunday. Bear in mind that our average ANNUAL rainfall is 15 inches. Exactly as the NOAA Global Warming projections had predicted 30 years ago... Catastrophic fires and floods in the temperate forests of the USA were just the beginning. Get used to a wild ride...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 2:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

18.6? I need evidence for that, brother. Haven't seen report of over 15" anywhere, nevermind on the plains. And annual is actually about 18.9 in Boulder. So if you could show where you got that total, that would be quite amazing...

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 2:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW, here is where I got Boulder's annual total since record-keeping began:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/boulder/Boulder.mm.precip.html

> Precip
 [1]  8.80 17.07 20.35 16.67 20.12 16.03 14.04 16.89 13.85 18.44 16.71 17.78
[13] 21.83 26.20 16.27 17.88 26.34 13.44 13.51 20.56 20.03 18.33 24.30 19.65
[25] 13.99 18.84 18.61 18.70 18.39 13.80 25.89 13.08 17.19 17.90 19.44 20.51
[37] 21.22 15.98 14.23 11.85 16.08 14.02 16.44 20.25 15.58 29.09 11.11 20.29
[49] 23.99 26.23 15.75 18.65 22.65 18.64 22.70 17.11 21.22 14.16 27.41 17.15
[61] 16.01 10.91 15.25 18.45 27.43 19.28 18.85 15.30 22.39 12.77 16.95 11.47
[73] 19.47 11.13 24.89 16.19 27.52 16.65 18.69 18.43 20.21 15.11 18.24 14.66
[85] 13.49 23.82 24.20 13.45 16.91 21.54 24.51 18.54 17.44 21.35 25.82 16.95
[97] 20.62 21.70 21.17 17.38 21.87 16.79 29.93 21.38 28.49 22.29 25.87 15.96
[109] 18.28 13.88 22.12 27.17 17.42 19.31 17.13 17.02 22.19 20.32 22.29 15.65
> mean(Precip)
[1] 18.86442

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 4
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 12:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is an interesting opinion from a credible source at the Institute for Meterological Studies.  I have seen reports on the Weather Channel that has been more than 18 inches of rain in the headwaters of the Cache Le Poudre, and probably on the Michigan River as well.  The crest north of RMNP seemed to get the hardest hit, in the maps I have seen.

Check it out:

The Satellite Blog of the Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies has just posted some dramatic remote sensing imagery of the continuing deluge here in Colorado. And in the explanation of what’s been happening, the author of the post, Scott Lindstrom, concluded that the extraordinary amount of rainfall we’ve experienced here in the Boulder area “could be classified as a 1,000-year event.”

Make no mistake about it: The rainfall has simply been astonishing — upwards of 12 inches in less than 24 hours in some locations near Boulder. And it has caused quite a bit of devastating flooding, as well as two deaths in this area, and another one further south.

But could it really be something that occurs only once in a thousand years? Earlier in the day, the National Weather Service did say that “biblical rainfall amounts” have been reported. So it’s clear that the deluge here has been impressing the experts.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/imageo....r-event

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Extraordinary events and records happen.  They aren't all caused by global warming.

Is this one?  I don't know.  I don't think anyone knows for sure.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is this one?  I don't know.  I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Agreed, a weather event, even an exceptional one, proves nothing about climate change.

But a pattern of weather events, over a period of years becomes quite persuaive evidence.

And this particular pattern of more extreme drought, mixed with more extreme precipitation events is consistent with the model for global warming effects in this area.

If the pattern continues and gets more extreme over the next 10 years, I would say that is pretty convincing evidence for global warming changing the environment in Colorado.

I imagine quite few people who get hit with the flash floods tonight and tomorrow won't have to wait that long to make up their minds, and hopefully many of them will relocate to less flood prone areas when this disaster is over.

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 14 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So if you could show where you got that total, that would be quite amazing...
I got it straight from Mike Landess on Channel 7 news on Friday, (yesterday,) who reported that one automated rainfall station in East Boulder indicated 18.6 inches of rain over the last 5 days. This rainfall total has appeared in several media outlets today...

September is the Rocky Mountain's driest month...last year's total precipitation in September in Boulder was 1.3."

If the 18" of rain had fallen as snow, (which is entirely possible in September in the Rockies,) it would have resulted in an accumulation of 15 feet.

You're right, it was an amazing event, but it so uncannily fit the projections of NOAA's Global Warming Hypothesis that it was truly unbelievable.

Drought, fire and floods, get used to it. It's the wages of our sins towards our atmosphere.
 Post Number: 8
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, global climate change is about trends and averages over time. There have always been extreme weather events, but with a warming atmosphere those extreme events get more extreme and happen more often.

Climatology is a non-linear Science and very complex. And no the experts do not know or understand what causes every weather event.

However the data is irrefutable that the earths atmosphere is warming and one of the effects of a warmer atmosphere is more moisture retained in the atmosphere. And it gets deposited into the biosphere somewhere.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Sep. 14 2013, 11:48 pm)
So if you could show where you got that total, that would be quite amazing...
I got it straight from Mike Landess on Channel 7 news on Friday, (yesterday,) who reported that one automated rainfall station in East Boulder indicated 18.6 inches of rain over the last 5 days. This rainfall total has appeared in several media outlets today...

September is the Rocky Mountain's driest month...last year's total precipitation in September in Boulder was 1.3."

If the 18" of rain had fallen as snow, (which is entirely possible in September in the Rockies,) it would have resulted in an accumulation of 15 feet.

You're right, it was an amazing event, but it so uncannily fit the projections of NOAA's Global Warming Hypothesis that it was truly unbelievable.

Drought, fire and floods, get used to it. It's the wages of our sins towards our atmosphere.

Still haven't seen that, but so be it. With today's rain, I could imagine getting up towards 18" in Boulder this week.

Generally February or June are the driest months...

--------------
 Post Number: 10
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Sep. 14 2013, 9:48 pm)

If the Indian Peaks are the Alps, I guess Sept is the driest month in Boulder.... but it looks like Sept is darn near the median to me.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 3:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I guess that refutes my June comment -I should modify by saying that unless there are a good couple rainy days in June, June is fire season month, being so dry.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

On July 31, 1976 the Big Thompson Flood was a 'local' storm.  At the time it was Colorado's worst natural disaster.  It was considered a 200 Year Event.  Amazing how time flies.

Nature has not been kind to the eastern foothills this decade and unfortunately fire and water do mix when it comes to disasters.

All that will be going eastward unfortunately for those down stream.

On my parents property east of Colorado Springs in '61 had a local thunderstorm that in 15 minutes, emptied the contents of two large stock ponds.  About 300 large fish were flushed out the overflow while the dam held.   Some fence and land damage, and a substantial two lane wooden bridge was washed out on Cottonwood Creek. Even the foundations didn't survive.  1/2 mile away they had a slight drizzle.

Every 10 years or so we had LARGE hail damage.  One beer can size chunk of ice ricocheted off a bail of hay and went through the radiator of a double deuce 42 Chevy Army surplus truck.

About 18 miles northeast from downtown LA at 2500' (about 1/2 way up Mt Wilson's altitude), Hoegees Camp has the distinction of holding California's Record Rainfall for a 24-hour period. It was 26.12 inches occurring January 22-23, 1943.  "It doesn't rain in California in the summer time."

These severe local storms have been a happening for a long time.  

The forecast is for more of them.  Best we learn from the ones we've experienced.  I'd have thought that more local/county building restrictions would be imposed on expected flood plains.

Near the 'headwaters' of the Great Los Angeles River (all of 48 miles), a large recreation area has been established.  When rain is expected they close the gates and cancel tee times on the golf course.  It floods a few times a decade.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The official report for Boulder still stands at 14.7".

http://www2.ucar.edu/atmosnews/opinion/10250/inside-colorado-deluge

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 15 2013, 8:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A quick Google search for "18.6 rain  Boulder, CO" ONLY leads to this post.

Nowhere else on the internet is there ANY report of "18.6 of rain in Boulder"

Perhaps you misheard this  
 "The annual average precipitation for Boulder, Colorado is 18.6 inches (NCDC 1999)"

This is the only place on the whole internet that 18.6" of  rain and Boulder are linked  together, beside your post here.

A change of search terms to "18.6" Boulder, CO automated rain gauge 5 day total", yields "ONLY" the annual precip that I quoted above.

If it had been posted at Channel 7 and "several other local media" it would be searchable, but there is nothing.

Here is the 7 day data of the automated gauges in Denver/Boulder as of 6:30 Fri night. The highest outlier is 16.06" in a sea of 8-12" to one or two 14" max totals and could probably be tossed out, though it does lie next to a 14 "+ area.

I'm calling shenanigans...and no, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, I did get my degree in Watershed Science from CSU.

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 16 2013, 11:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I'm calling shenanigans...and no, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, I did get my degree in Watershed Science from CSU."

Less than three hours ago, Channel 7 once again reported 18.55 inches of rain in East Boulder.

Why the hell is everybody nitpicking this?  Not every iota of knowledge in the universe is on the Internet. Instead of "calling shenanigans,", CALL CHANNEL 7!

Does your education absolutely prohibit you from looking at other sources than the Internet?

My God, man, I already told you my source, Channel 7, and because you couldn't FIND IT ON THE INTERNET, you're  "calling shenanigans!" Do you think I lied, SWM?

Try doing some real research instead of "checking the Internet" like a high school kid.

You owe me a f**king apology...
 Post Number: 16
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jesus!  Who the hell cares about the 4 inches.  Get over it.  The whole world knows its flooding there.

Highpeakdrifter, thanks for your postings and sharing your info.  Keep them coming.  I always enjoy reading your posts.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 17
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Sep. 16 2013, 10:25 pm)
 Who the hell cares about the 4 inches.  

Uhhh ... for some of us, 4 inches is important, precious, even.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 18
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm calling BS on this. I 'believe' it was 17.9 inches. Screw Channel 7. Can't believe everything you see on television.

:D
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of people do not realize how variable these downpours can be on the east side of the Rockies.  Has a lot to do with wind and temperature micro climates that may change in just a few minutes.

It is perfectly sensible, and accurate, that HPD and Channel 7 reported accurate extremes in small areas, and that the automatic rain gauges are accurate for the points where they are located.

We had one of these intense thunderstorms here at home a couple of weeks ago, and I recorded .11, eleven one hundreths of an inch, in my very accurate garden rain gauge.  Went out the next day, about one half mile southeast, and promptly got the tractor stuck in a very soft muddy field.

Checked with the neighbors, of about a 3 mile radius, and found that they had rainfalls of .54, .75, and .65, from the same thunderstorm!  

For whatever reason my house was in the dry spot and it rained like crazy in the surrounding area. To my chagrin.

There was a lot of that in this latest extreme rain event in Colorado and New Mexico.

And for what it is worth (nothing!) I have gotten a total of 2.42 inches of rain during this whole flooding event.  

A very, very welcome 2.42 inches, I might add, may save some of my trees that are suffering, and make it possible to plant wheat next month.

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uhhh ... for some of us, 4 inches is important, precious, even.

LMAO!!!
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 2:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whatever. People can say whatever they want now after the additional rainfall on Sunday. I didn't see any official data in Boulder that reached 18" after the first event. Just saying. I know, in total, that almost 2,000' higher it reached 18 or 19" after the full week's rain had been accounted for.

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 4:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

High Plains Toker:

I am formally apologizing about doubting your claim about Mike Landess reporting first 18.6" of rain  then revising it to 18.55 for your time frame before the Sunday rains.  :(  

I was curious why NOAA, NCAR, the Republic of Boulder, CSU College of Atmospheric Science, and the hundreds reporting stations, just a few blocks , let alone, Channels 2/ 4 / 9 , CNN, Huffington , Fox ,etc weren't reporting that astounding total.

I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, nor am I Goggle Jockey,but I DID get my Bachelors Degree in Watershed Science and was 2 credits away from getting my Masters.

You know, ...Watershed Science....,  the amalgamation of Meteorology/ Soil Science/ Remote sensing , Geology,  etc..

So I went back to your source, Channel 7, and found the link to their source....and guess what..... they found it on the internet !!

The site that Channel 7 used, is a loose amalgam of "backyard weather watchers".

I have no doubt that there a few people in their group, capable of being classified as high as an "Amateur Meteorologists".  But in the meantime there are likely as many more that are sticking down their $10 Walley World "Weather Stations" in the middle of their treed, populated , urban back yard and reporting that data as well.

Just in my back yard, within 20', I saw 1000% different precip accumulations over the past week. One area got essentially ZERO precip over 7 days and 20' way, at the apex of my house and the neighbor's,  it was a continuously gushing fire hydrant of rain, funneled through the 45* tilt between our homes. Twice the "observed" pecip a few hundred yds from me, at the "Official" City monitoring stations.

The same "weather station" that you and Channel 7 referenced,  revised their total, on Monday , to include Sundays  precip  to 21.26" over the last week !

You really should have waited, a couple of days to post that tidbit !!

I searched their previous data entries to see if they had a history of over-reporting their data, compared to stations a few blocks but they have/had no history prior to this event.

They had lumped spumed all of their data, on their very first report ever, as 18.55", for the entire event. No breakdown on individual day tallies. So it's impossible to even try to compare that to all of the other dozen stations just a few blocks away.

And, today, the site that Channel 7 linked the data to, has removed all of that observers observations

So I'm claiming Shenanigans on Channel 7 and you !!!!

With a long back ground in statistics, I really doubt that 21.26" from the Cherry Picked data will stand up in the midst a sea of "oficial" data just a few hundred yds away.

But hey , that's whats "news" is about... isn't it... report the most extreme gossip/rumors you can find and then have to retract it later when the facts come out.

In deference to wwwest, this was not a convective type event, ie, " a typical thunderstorm" that features widely differing amounts over the span of 1- 2 miles let alone one/ two yds..

This was a unique, stratiform event, never seen in CO before !

There was little to no convective enhancements leading to pockets of off scale precipitation. This event was unique in that it featured virtually uniform precip over 10-20-30 mi  wide swaths; so when somebody reports 21.26" in a sea of reports of 12-14", just blocks to a 1-2 miles away from multiple reporting stations, red flags start to fly.,

HPD, you started a thread claiming 18.6" in Boulder in 3 days at the time you posted this, from what was and now is just hearsay evidence, "during the driest month of the year" which is also completely and factually erroneios.

The next time you jump up on your platform , and say you have the facts that this proof of "Global Warming" you start a thread claiming 18.6" in Boulder in 3 days at the time you posted this, and "during the driest month of the year" which is also completely and factually erroneous, and then jump up on your soapbox to claim that these "facts" lead to the inevitable conclusion that it was all caused HCGB, I'd be real sure my facts correct and scientifically verifiable before I jumped o!

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 19 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least I inspired you to expand your research beyond the internet....Good reporting!

(Although I can't find "the Republic of Boulder" as a reliable rainfall source, your use of that phrase, in an otherwise excellent article, causes me to sense some class-anger going on here.)

21.5 inches of rain in east Boulder! (I'm rounding off here.)I didn't know that. WOW! That's the figure I'll be using for the rest of my life!

And I'll be quoting you.
 Post Number: 24
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's nuthin.  I know a guy, who knows a girl who lives in Nederland, and he says she told him they got "a couple feet!"

And you can quote me on that.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 1:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lame, was she referring to the cryo tank, or the bedroom?

--------------

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 20 2013, 10:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Sep. 20 2013, 9:43 am)
That's nuthin.  I know a guy, who knows a girl who lives in Nederland, and he says she told him they got "a couple feet!"

And you can quote me on that.

Dude, my neighbor's friend's sister's cat's squirrel-friend got 3 feet on her high-tree rain gauge in 4-Mile. Only the squirrel can verify, though.

--------------
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 1:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Sep. 19 2013, 8:39 pm)
21.5 inches of rain in east Boulder! That's the figure I'll be using for the rest of my life!

And I'll be quoting you.

Thank you very much !!!

Be sure to include these eyewitness photo's of the event as well  !

This is Red Rocks Amphitheater, closed by the gush of water over the seats !

This recent photo is from just E of Julesberg, as the S. Platte flood crest roared out to the Nebraska /CO state line !!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 21 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quite the mea culpa, SWT, funny pix.
 Post Number: 29
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 22 2013, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(highpeakdrifter @ Sep. 21 2013, 10:33 pm)
Quite the mea culpa, SWT, funny pix.

Funny, maybe, but not really.  Little too close to the truth for some folks, I suspect.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
28 replies since Sep. 14 2013, 2:12 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Boulder Floods
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions