2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Zion in October?, Fall Trip Zion- best time?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RedDoug Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 12:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best time of the year to visit Zion, and best time in fall?

Right now it looks like i am heading up that way in early October for some day trips and longer.

Looking for suggestions.  I just ordered a guide book and TI map for zion.

--------------
No Shame- Proud to be an American
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey RedDoug, I've been contemplating the same kind of trip (with maybe some mountain biking worked in as well) to Zion around the same time frame. Nothing for certain yet.  Much depends on my family situation, but if things work out, maybe we could hook up.  If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been to Zion several times. The best time of year is subjective of course, but Zion gets really hot in the summer. October is a splendid time to go there if you prefer cooler weather and the crowds will be smaller.
 Post Number: 4
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went there a few years ago to meet my new grandson, who has now moved to the Grand Canyon.  The leaves were beginning to turn in the Canyon, but the road to Lava Point was much more colorful.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 5
bumknees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great time to go.  The only drawback is slightly shorter days.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Sep. 17 2013, 10:56 am)
Hey RedDoug, I've been contemplating the same kind of trip (with maybe some mountain biking worked in as well) to Zion around the same time frame. Nothing for certain yet.  Much depends on my family situation, but if things work out, maybe we could hook up.  If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

I am going to register for a couple of guided tours with this company in Moab:

http://moabdesertadventures.com/canyoneering.htm

I want to do the two all day canyon trips: Hidden Splendor and Plaedies.  It would be a bit cheaper if I had someone to share expenses with.

I want to do this on a Mon/Tueday and Wed drive down to Zion and camp in the main campground, then Thursday/Frida do the slot river walk and Angel's Landing trail and then try 3- 4 night backcountry trip.

Plans are subject to change, as far as which week.  Company would be great, otherwise I am alone.

I am looking Oct 1 & 2 or 8 & 9 in Moab.  I have always wanted to do one of those slot canyons and I think this would be the best way to try it.    You would be welcome to join me.  

I would be coming from AZ near Phoenix.

-RD

--------------
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doing some searches on Zion NP it looks like longer multi-day hikes in Zion are not there- true?  Whats at the end of the Narrows?

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I might only spend a few days at Zion and then drop down to the north rim of the GC.  I am looking at that option now.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Sep. 17 2013, 9:08 pm)
Doing some searches on Zion NP it looks like longer multi-day hikes in Zion are not there- true?  Whats at the end of the Narrows?

There's a shuttle bus to the end of the Narrows which opens to the National Park.  It's basically a deep stream cutting through some trees but as you go further into the canyon, the walls slowly start closing in on you as you go from sand bar to sand bar through knee deep water (give or take, .. the time I went).  At a certain point, the gray, water-smoothed walls are pretty close together.  Committed at that point.  I started late AM and had to go back as I wasn't permitted or equipped for overnight .  

Hiking poles won't cut it (trust me - ouch) -- better to have a thick hiking staff (some places used to rent them out).

If you get a permit and a ride, you can come back from the outer part of the park.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 17 2013, 11:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love Zion, and early October is my very favorite time to be there.  The scrubby oak trees are beautiful then and are amazing against the contrast of the red canyon walls.  Weather is usually perfect.  It's heaven.  
The Narrows hike ends just a mile from the main canyon road.  There is a paved path leading from there to the road and a shuttle bus stop.  

This site has really comprehensive info on hiking in and around Zion:

http://www.zionnational-park.com/hiking-zion-national-park.htm

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 12:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good info on the Narrows- No idea how that hike as done.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer,

A ton of prime options (high to low elevation)  in that area, dial in the choices depending on weather, cold fronts.

tad north of Zion (near Cedar Breaks NM) is prime MTB at Brian Head.

Relatively nearby -- North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I'd also consider Great Basin NP, and particularly Mount Moriah just north of the park. High elevation but reasonable with a check of the forecast.
 Post Number: 13
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 18 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A multi-day hike would be to start at the Kolob part of the Park next to I-15 and head east ending at the base of Angel's Landing in the Canyon itself.  You can continue if you like and end up over by Checkerboard Mesa.  Parts of it are wonderful, others just nice, but it is a good hike with plenty of vistas.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 14
lesper4 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 07 2013, 5:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am doing that trip you mention Starwalker (the Zion Traverse). We are going the second week of November and hoping for good fall colors. We have reservations for a few sites but right now we are hoping the park opens back up. Getting out is not an issue but getting in would require an extra 4 miles and a much longer first day with heavy packs. Plus I am not sure I want to park cars out by the highway. The East side might not be as much of an issue but still...
 Post Number: 15
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Water sources could be dry.  Check with rangers (if and when they open back up).  Ive done that cross trip quite a few times.  Only once that late in the year.  Seems like water was very dry.  Once you leave Hops Valley, there are like 3 or 4 springs until you get into Zion Canyon.  The pipe one by Wildcat Canyon ( I can't remember if this dries out or not), the one by the first campsite on the ridge trail, and then up on top of the plateau before you drop down to Angel's Landing.  That one was a muddy drip on my October trip.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 12:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FYI, Capital Reef.  Best of the NP in Utah.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 17
Firedancer Search for posts by this member.
Colorado Dreamin'

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RedDoug @ Sep. 18 2013, 12:59 am)
Good info on the Narrows- No idea how that hike as done.

My understanding is that it can be done in a couple different ways.  From the "top" - you follow the river down to the mouth.  I believe it's an overnighter, and there is some canyoneering involved.

Most folks doing a dayhike will start at the boardwalk in the park, hike up stream for as long as they have time for, then turn around and hike back out to the same spot.

--------------
The future is no place to place your better days.
Dave Matthews
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 4:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I checked with the rangers before they shut down and was told Stave Spring was already dry, I don't expect that to be available. The others were flowing but I was told nothing of their clarity? I imagine we will drink a bit less with the cooler temps but was planning on bring extra water up to the east plateau. Maybe instead of hiking with two bottles of which is usually told make a big dent when it is cold hike with a spare in flat able bottle.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A quick update. The Zion Traverse was pretty damn amazing! There was lots of color (mainly yellow) in the canyon. The high country had very little but was still an amazing place to hike. There was some snow on the north side around 7000ft. Temps dropped to as low as 25 but for the most part were great. I would suggest that if you want color in the high country a month earlier might help. I think we just happen to get a few cold spells that killed the leaves before we left.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 2:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(lesper4 @ Nov. 13 2013, 2:22 pm)
A quick update. The Zion Traverse was pretty damn amazing! There was lots of color (mainly yellow) in the canyon. The high country had very little but was still an amazing place to hike. There was some snow on the north side around 7000ft. Temps dropped to as low as 25 but for the most part were great. I would suggest that if you want color in the high country a month earlier might help. I think we just happen to get a few cold spells that killed the leaves before we left.

Such a beautiful place!!!

--------------
 Post Number: 21
backpackeratnet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 5:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Advantages.

good Weather - The sun was shining, and the temperatures got up to the high seventies, although at night it dipped into the forties.

Buses Are Running – Because of limited parking, private vehicles are not allowed in the main part of the valley. Instead, shuttle buses run at frequent intervals, carrying visitors to all the major points of interest and trail heads. In November, the buses will run only on weekends.

not Crowded – We were certainly not alone, but the park never felt crowded. The shuttle bus drivers related that their buses are packed to the gills in the summer months, but there was always plenty of room during our visit.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Low Water in the Narrows – The stream flow is typically low in the fall, which makes it easier to work your way up and down the Virgin River Narrows.

Easier to Find Accommodations – Rooms seemed to be available in Springdale every evening we were there, although things might be busier on weekends.

Better Photography – Although the sun being lower on the horizon means more shadows in the canyons, it gives better light for photography in areas exposed to sunlight. This is especially true in mid-day. Mid-day photos in October are much better than summer photos taken at that time of day, which tend to be rather flat.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 24 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

With nighttime temperatures in the forties, the mornings were pretty brisk, especially in the shaded portions of the canyon. The solution is to dress in layers so you can peel off as the temperatures rise. We were glad for gloves and warm hats the morning we watched the sunrise from Canyon Overlook.

Less Daylight – There is less time for really enjoyable hiking than in the summer because there are fewer hours of daylight. Also, the sun is lower in the horizon, which means even fewer hours that the sunlight reaches the canyon floor. The Narrows and the side canyons see even less sunlight. Park rangers should be able to suggest the best time of day to visit each of the places on your itinerary.
22 replies since Sep. 17 2013, 12:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Zion in October?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions