2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: SW Utah/ AZ over Thanksgiving again.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 12:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm planning on driving down from N. Colorado to visit my mother in Phoenix over Thanksgiving again, and I'm trying be a little more prepared this year. Again, this is strictly to optimize my photo ops, between drive-up sites and multiple short ( 2-5 mi RT) hikes from a TH easily accessible via a Hyundai Elantra and is as much for the big, wide angle vistas, as for the anthropological sites with ruins, picto/petroglyphs.

I'm hoping to spend the  Sat./ Sun before Thanksgiving at Moab/ Arches, then heading towards Flagstaff for up to two more days.

Last year, I spent the two afternoons/ evenings at the Grand Canyon and I'm looking for something different this year.

The Page area , a little bit north seems like a likely choice.

My first question is, how dark is it going to be, down in the slots of Antelope or Water Holes in late Nov. ?

I also read that there was a major Flash Flood through the area ~ 1 1/2 months ago with a lot of damage, but can't find a lot on the current status of the Canyons.

Is a drive through Monument Valley, coming from Moab, worth the Tribal fee ?

What are the odds of snagging a walk up permit to "The Wave" ?

Horseshoe Bend worth a visit ?

Last year, several people had suggested Wupotki NM as another good choice in the Flagstaff area, and a few internet searches make it look like an interesting possibility.

Enough for a 1/2 to full day of hiking/ photography ?

Alternatives in the Flagstaff/ Page area ?

Thanks !

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
pudgy_groundhog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We spent some time in the Page area last year (AZ 2012) and visited some of the spots you mention.  

I would think you would be fine for Antelope and Water Holes, as long as you are there midday for enough light in the canyon.  Have you been to Buckskin Gulch before?  If not, I would highly recommend hiking there through Wire Pass. I actually like Buckskin more than Antelope and Water Holes (although both are pretty and good stops).  

Odds for a walkup permit to the Wave are poor and with your limited time I wouldn't even bother.  They now do the lottery at the BLM office in Kanab, which is out of the way.  Instead of driving, waiting, and likely being disappointed, you could better use that time to hike and explore.

Horseshoe Bend is definitely worth a visit, especially since it's just a walkup. It's easy to combine with Antelope and/or Water Holes.  You might already know this, but if not, 89 is closed south of Page (won't impact going to any of your destinations from Page, but not sure of your route to Page).  This page has more info:

http://www.azdot.gov/projects/north-central/us-89-landslide/overview

We visited Sunset Crater and Wupatki as well and you can definitely spend half a day there.  There is a short one mile walk through a lava field, ruins to explore, and visitor's centers.  Nice stop if you are in that area.

Other:

In Page we really liked Yellow Rock - accessible on gravel BLM road and by an off trail route.  Really cool spot.  Wahweap Overlook is nice for views and we camped at Lone Rock beach, which was really nice.  If you find yourself with a little extra time, the Toadstools are a short walk and easily accessible right off the highway.

For up to date info on any possible flood damage, I would check bogley.com.  Or for info in general. Those people really know the southwest.  :)

Have fun!

p.s.  if you think you will return to the southwest again and are interested in photography, I would recommend buying the Laurent Martres books.  Good for photography, as well as guide books/directions in general.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 7:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Dave, I just I thought I would mention a book I have, and you might already know of this as you are pretty thorough in your research about such things.

Anyway, concerning Anasazi ruins in Arizona, New Mexico and Utah, basically the four corners area, there is a book from the Falcon Guide series called 'Hiking Ruins Seldom Seen', by Dave Wilson.

There is also a similar book from the Falcon Guide series on hiking the Winds by Ron Adkison which I know you know about.

The seldom seen ruins book lists many Archaeological sites that have to be hiked to, backpacked to, or granted permission to on private land to access. And the majority of these sites in this book are in Arizona between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

So if you don't already have the book check it out as it is definitely worthwhile.

Regards.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 10:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Sep. 25 2013, 5:45 pm)
The seldom seen ruins book lists many Archaeological sites that have to be hiked to, backpacked to, or granted permission to on private land to access. And the majority of these sites in this book are in Arizona between Flagstaff and Phoenix.

So if you don't already have the book check it out as it is definitely worthwhile.

Regards.

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out !

--------------
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 25 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(pudgy_groundhog @ Sep. 25 2013, 2:54 pm)
We spent some time in the Page area last year (AZ 2012) and visited some of the spots you mention.  

I would think you would be fine for Antelope and Water Holes, as long as you are there midday for enough light in the canyon.  Have you been to Buckskin Gulch before?  If not, I would highly recommend hiking there through Wire Pass. I actually like Buckskin more than Antelope and Water Holes (although both are pretty and good stops).  

You might already know this, but if not, 89 is closed south of Page (won't impact going to any of your destinations from Page, but not sure of your route to Page).  This page has more info:

http://www.azdot.gov/projects/north-central/us-89-landslide/overview

:;): Last year was my very first trip through the UT/AZ desert country. I've heard of Buckskin/ Wire Pass, but never been there. It's going up towards the top of list now after just a couple of minutes of research.

I'd read about the road closure but thought it had already been repaired. It must have been the temp. detour that I saw being opened ~ Labor Day.

In any event, it's a vacation and with all of the "indefinite" road closures going on here in the Front Range of CO, I'll feel right at home.  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 6
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sedona Redrock area, Sycamore Cyn, Oak Creek Cyn, Montezumas Castle. Wet Beaver Crk.  I know a couple nearby petro sites.  If you had more than the elantra I could get you to a really nice dwelling site (AZ), but the road gets rough at the end.  Drive to the old Paria 'movie set'.  Also some really neat land form formations along the way.  Some neat stuff in Escanante NM if you want to go that far.  You could get along the Butler Wash road, real close Petro and ruins that are neat....Bryce NP is always nice.  Coral Pink sand dunes and there is always Zion NP.  Depending on the time and any snow you can get to the more remote Jumpoff Pt area near Kanab crk and the Grand Canyon.  A really nice site on North Rim but your elantra can't make the last 10miles of road.  Pipe Springs NM is interesting.  These just off the top of my head.....there is more thru that country.  If you need more specific answers PM me.    :D
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 30 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll be in the area that time of year, hopefully with a chance of doing some ruins hikes.  I'll keep you posted on any good ideas that pop up.
 Post Number: 8
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sedona Redrock area, Sycamore Cyn, Oak Creek Cyn, Montezumas Castle. Wet Beaver Crk.  I know a couple nearby petro sites.  If you had more than the elantra I could get you to a really nice dwelling site (AZ), but the road gets rough at the end.  Drive to the old Paria 'movie set'.  Also some really neat land form formations along the way.  Some neat stuff in Escanante NM if you want to go that far.  You could get along the Butler Wash road, real close Petro and ruins that are neat....Bryce NP is always nice.  Coral Pink sand dunes and there is always Zion NP.  Depending on the time and any snow you can get to the more remote Jumpoff Pt area near Kanab crk and the Grand Canyon.  A really nice site on North Rim but your elantra can't make the last 10miles of road.  Pipe Springs NM is interesting.  These just off the top of my head.....there is more thru that country.  If you need more specific answers PM me.

Michael Kinsey accessed all these areas in a 2wd Chevette...
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 1:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Sep. 30 2013, 6:31 pm)
 You could get along the Butler Wash road, real close Petro and ruins that are neat.    :D

I found that a couple of days ago and is at the top the short list for my drive from Moab to Page.

I'm going to try for at least the Wolfman TH and the lower Butler sites. I'd hoped to see if it was possible to drive the Elantra up as far as Monarch Cave.

I just signed up at Bogley yesterday, and somebody already warned me that Bluff got hammered with the same rains that we got on the Front Range a few weeks ago and that the Butler Wash road might not be drivable yet.

I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze a visit to the S Fork of Mule Canyon in as well.

I think I'm going to have to have to suck up the cost of gas in March/April next year, and drive out for a week in my 17 mpg 4WD and just camp out on Cedar Mesa/Comb Ridge.

I'll brake better than even, dollar wise, camping vs hotels, that will also more than off set the increased fuel costs.

YAyyyyy ! More trips to plan !!

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 11:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Oct. 01 2013, 1:26 am)

(bbobb169 @ Sep. 30 2013, 6:31 pm)
 You could get along the Butler Wash road, real close Petro and ruins that are neat.    :D

I found that a couple of days ago and is at the top the short list for my drive from Moab to Page.

I'm going to try for at least the Wolfman TH and the lower Butler sites. I'd hoped to see if it was possible to drive the Elantra up as far as Monarch Cave.

I just signed up at Bogley yesterday, and somebody already warned me that Bluff got hammered with the same rains that we got on the Front Range a few weeks ago and that the Butler Wash road might not be drivable yet.

I'm trying to figure out if I can squeeze a visit to the S Fork of Mule Canyon in as well.

I think I'm going to have to have to suck up the cost of gas in March/April next year, and drive out for a week in my 17 mpg 4WD and just camp out on Cedar Mesa/Comb Ridge.

I'll brake better than even, dollar wise, camping vs hotels, that will also more than off set the increased fuel costs.

YAyyyyy ! More trips to plan !!

Road conditions to Wolfman vary with time, but you can always get there if you're will to walk a little farther.
 Post Number: 11
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 1:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If its not real wet you should be able to get the entire length of Butler Wash.  Wolfman is off a short spur that's a lot of rock, but would only be a short walk from the main road.  A car will never make it to the ruin in AZ, too bad cause its pretty nice.  The one in the GC is off of the Toroweap Road and its rough.....car won't make it and too far to walk.  I have some map files for Grand Gulch area and a short cut route into S Mule Canyon from a highway parking.

Wouldn't mind a trip down again this coming spring......meet up maybe.

PM me your email if you want, I can't find it.  I can send you some map files....enough around Butler Wash / Grand Gulch area to keep you busy.  Bogley has additional good maps if you pay for membership.  I've got a few they haven't posted.......
 Post Number: 12
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And also Dave, since you like to research, In Search Of The Old Ones, by Alpinist David Roberts is a fantastic book about Anasazi ruins and getting to them.
 Post Number: 13
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 09 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

SWT, I've done Wire Pass into Buckskin at Christmas, deep shade. It was dry, and we dayhiked maybe 5 miles down Buckskin and back out to Wire Pass. Worthwhile.

Wupatki -- on the north end of the loop, maybe 4 miles off the hwy is "the citadel" a replica of a ruin. Great place to get off the road, sit and gaze, soak up some winter sun. Peaks to your west, eastern horizon stretches off into the Painted Desert.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 9:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quick update:

I currently have more sites within a 1/2-1 hr drive from Moab than I could possibly visit in the 2/3 days I have budgeted for the drive to Phoenix from home, so I "hope" I snag a few on the return trip to CO.

I've written off Page, AZ, for this trip, but for those who haven't seen it already, I just found out that 89T was finally fenced off and the speed limit has been raised to 55mph.

I'm already concentrating on planning for a 10 day/ 2 week loop, dayhiking and maybe an overnighter or two through Nine Mile Canyon, The San Rafael Swell, a visit to the Great Gallery, than Cedar Mesa/Grand Gulch/Comb Ridge late April/ early May using my big gas sucking 4WD.  I'm probably already out of time for that trip as well, for all the places I want to visit.

Dam you big_load !! It's been your awesome TR's that got this SW bug going in me !

--------------
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, you have some great stuff planned!  My goals less ambitious this fall since I haven't had much time to plan, but I hope to make up for it in the Spring.

I'm going to visit an isolated petroglyph site in the Superstitions the weekend after next, but I'm winging it after that.  My goal is to get Mrs. big_load to a couple places that offer big payoff for the effort.
14 replies since Sep. 25 2013, 12:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply SW Utah/ AZ over Thanksgiving again.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions