2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Known Shutdown Closures< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
lebthree Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 6:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I thought I would start a thread for people to insert known closures due to the shutdown.  Obviously, the National Parks are shut down, but what about trails within the National Forest?

I have a friend traveling to Yellowstone/Tetons this weekend on a photography tour and with the shutdown things don't look to good.  I think he is flying in through Bozeman. He and his girlfriend are not backpacking and are for the most part staying at hotels outside the parks.  I wonder what other options might be available to them.  I was thinking the Beartooths and was also wondering if the road to the Green River Lakes was open at least to the campground.  

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 01 2013, 6:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Most of the IRS is shutdown.  I had several matters scheduled with the IRS this week - the only ones still on the schedule are the criminal matters.  if they had canceled those two meetings I could have gone hiking the rest of the week.
 Post Number: 3
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 12:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any Park with a gate..... the gate is closed.  Yellowstone has gates, parts of the Tetons has gates.  Kinda hard to close a National Forest access unless its gated, Forest campgrounds can be closed.
 Post Number: 4
lebthree Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bob, that is what has me concerned over the Green River Lakes area.  They have a main gate which is not monitored and they don't collect fees.  The gate is some 15 to 20 miles from the lake.  It is my understanding that the gate is normally closed only in the winter.   I was just wondering if they closed this road down too.   There is also a gate at the end of the road close to the lake for the campground area and I would assume that this would be closed.  I was just wondering if the main gate was open.
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never noticed the gate, but there is a lot of open forest land mixed in with private ranches/grazing thru there. Not sure who owns the road, that may be the key.  Maybe called the county roads and ask.
 Post Number: 6
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 02 2013, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look on the bright side...no park fees.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
5 replies since Oct. 01 2013, 6:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Known Shutdown Closures
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions