2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Zion Bryce Canyonlands June 2014< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
mswobo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 1:49 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We are going on our first outdoor adventure and will camp and day hike those areas.

Coming June 9th within a day or two.

What kind of weather can we expect at night and during day?

Looking at You Tube and Vimeo seems like a lot of hikes are reasonable. Is this accurate? We are not the scenic overlook vacationers.  We like to get out and explore.

We are planning on being there for 7 nights moving camp a couple times, still not totally planned.

We are in our mid fifties and in pretty good shape and understand our limitations. We hike now once a month and do  4 or 5 mile hikes but they are very easy terrain.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 1:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Zion to Bryce to Canyonlands you'll need to move camps three times....not close enough for a main camp.  Others will chime in here.... Also, check out www.bogley.com a more localized forum.
 Post Number: 3
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 17 2013, 2:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zion--mild nights, hot days, dry conditions usually in June.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 4
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 18 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Parts of Zion will be scorching, then.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 5
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 12:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mswobo @ Oct. 17 2013, 12:49 am)
Looking at You Tube and Vimeo seems like a lot of hikes are reasonable. Is this accurate? We are not the scenic overlook vacationers.  We like to get out and explore.

We are planning on being there for 7 nights moving camp a couple times, still not totally planned.

We are in our mid fifties and in pretty good shape and understand our limitations. We hike now once a month and do  4 or 5 mile hikes but they are very easy terrain.

I'm used to a lot rougher terrain, but Bryce and Zion aren't bad at all, in my opinion, because most of the major elevation changes on the popular trails are switchbacked. The trails are so well-established and maintained that it's like walking on a sidewalk a lot of the time. I've done about 2/3 of the West Rim Trail before lunchtime without getting in a hurry, and taking tons of pictures. Took my dad to both last year the week after he retired, and he managed pretty well. Even did Observation Point at Zion. He was exhausted, but he was also 66, overweight, and his last real "hike" had been in Vietnam 44 years earlier.

Edit: there he is!
 Post Number: 6
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 1:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Oct. 18 2013, 10:19 pm)

LOL!

And so some parts wont be?  What part?  Such a douche poster.  Go swim with swimswithtrout,

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 20 2013, 2:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out either Capital Reef National Park or the Escalante.  Best places to explore in Utah.  Temps will be warmer in June, but not usually to bad.  Lots of adventure to be had there.

Canyonlands is also great.  Needles district or Island in the Sky.  Great options.  It will be warm there, but not scorching.  Anyone in the above post who tell you otherwise have little experience there.  

But I do think your original plans are too far apart for 7 nights.  You can spend 7 days just exploring Canyonlands.  Bryce Canyon Is ok for dayhiking, and its neat to hike into the fairylands, but the under the rim trail system is boring.  Zion has a lot to offer, especially for the dayhiker with 2 or 3 days to spare, but not nearly as specatacular as the escalante/capital reef.  

PM me if you want more details on adventure.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 1:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks to all...RobinHood I will look at your suggestions too...
 Post Number: 9
Del Gue Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 21 2013, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Oct. 19 2013, 11:54 pm)

LOL! And so some parts wont be?  What part?  Such a douche poster.
>
>
>
Check out either Capital Reef National Park or the Escalante.  Best places to explore in Utah.
>
>
>
Canyonlands is also great, It will be warm there, but not scorching.  Anyone in the above post who tell you otherwise have little experience there.

Somebody has a serious burr under his saddle !  :O

One man's heaven is the next mans hell !  I personally find the Uinta's the best place to explore in Utah by far.  When I was at Canyonlands/Arches in late May/early June 2006, Moab was over 100F nearly every day and set two  records. You must have some exceptional heat tolerance, because 106F in the shade qualifies as scorching in me. It was too hot to even try to hike anywhere exposed to the sun, mid day. All we could do was grab a pre-dawn hike up to 8-9 AM, then go hide in the shade or the rivers until 6-7 PM and then try and brave a sunset.

That was the extreme, but I would still classify my 3 prior visits to Canyonlands, Bryce, Capital Reef , San Rafael Swell, etc. during late May/early June as "very,very hot " so after 4 very uncomfortable/ to probably life threatening trips if we'd decided to push it mid day  in early June, I've sworn on a stack of Bibles, to my buddies, I'd never drag them back to the desert from early May to mid- Oct..  :p

mswobo, if you're part Vulcan, and can tolerate the heat as Robin seemingly can,  there's not enough time in you itinerary for everything you have planned ! That's a lot of widely scattered areas with a fair amount of driving between them, not to even mention setting up/breaking down camp between moves. I'd try to narrow it down to only 2 basecamps if I were you.

--------------
Del Gue
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 1:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thats hot ....

Well I cant go earlier as my girl friend works for the school district so end of her year is the only time to head out.
 Post Number: 11
crookedknife Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 22 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live in Moab and I've got to agree with Del Gue on this one. June is the hottest, driest month of the year in SE Utah. Temps will be 100+ most of the month.
I also recommend  visiting one side of the state or the other. The Bryce/Zion area or the Canyonlands/Arches in the SE are week long trips on their own. There is much driving between the two areas and lots to see along the way.
Which trails were you considering? YouTube videos can be deceiving. We could give you better info if we knew the trails you have planned.
Along those same lines, an easy 5 mile hike once a month is not going to prepare you for hiking everyday for a week in S. Utah. Trails here are steep, rocky and exposed to brutal sun and heat. Many people that come here to hike a lot in the summer quickly become scenic view tourists.

--------------
“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”
— Edward Hoagland
 Post Number: 12
4kidhockey Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My daughter and I are planning a hiking/camping/canyoneering trip to zion and Bryce about the same time. Having never been there its hard to know exactly what to expect. But for our trip we are planning on hiking the subway if we get a permit, hiking the narrows, as well as observation point and angels landing, but those we will do early in the morning to beat the heat.We are also planning a couple days doing some canyons hiking, im sure its gonna be hot but that is the only time that we can do it as well, in Bryce I,ve heard that going thru the hoodoos at night with a full moon is pretty cool, any info you could share would be awesome, thanks, 4kidhockey
 Post Number: 13
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 27 2013, 6:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Oct. 20 2013, 1:54 am)

LOL!

And so some parts wont be?  What part?  Such a douche poster.  Go swim with swimswithtrout,

Hey, moron, obviously the lower parts are going to be the hotter parts.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 14
GlenG Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 28 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another perspective, from an easterner, is that we were there at the North Rim GC and Zion, this past year, but in mid-July, which is a bit cooler than June, but only because of the rain/monsoon.  And let me tell, ya, it was flippin hot, in Utah!  We hiked the Narrows and Angel's Landing, and, well, the Narrows is one of the most impressive places I've ever been.  We were supposed to hike, or at least planned to, spend a day in Canyonlands, and when we got to Green River, it was 102* at about 7:30PM.  We did not hike Canyonlands the next day, just too brutally hot!  I suppose we could have hiked in the morning, but it was already 87* at 7:00AM.  It got up to about 100* all three days in Zion, but at least you got some shade in the Narrows and Angel's Landing.  But afternoons in the sun are not made for hiking in the summer, pretty much anywhere on the Colorado plateau.  The solar radiation is intense!  We opted for the San Juans..:)  Its a good, long, very scenic drive across Utah.  If the San Rafael Swell was somewhere else besides Utah(they have enough), its likely it would be a Nat Park too.  Utah is a pretty impressive place.  Probably more so outside of summer.
 Post Number: 15
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you for the wonderful chuckle RH.

Unless you're truly an experienced desert rat with the Constitution of a Beduoin I suggest you have an alternative plan unless you're masochists. Where are you coming from? Flying in? Driving? I would definitely be looking at higher elevations and I'm not just talking Bryce. We get an enormous influx of Beehivers here in the GYE come early June before the National and International push for good reason, people like to enjoy the outdoors in comfort more often than not. Among other things in an average June the southern approaches of the Gros Ventre Mountains here are DELIGHTFUL. We can get pretty hot too, but not nearly as much and there is usually plenty of water all around and snow up higher to make it wonderful.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 16
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 01 2013, 8:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been to Zion and Bryce many times. They are opposite as far as hiking goes. Zion you star at the canyon floor and hike through or up. Bryce you start on the rim of the canyon and hike down.

Both astounding places, especially the first time you see them.

Early June should not be too bad, especially at Bryce. In fact it could be flat out cold at Bryce in early June. Zion is much warmer and moderate because of the elevation differences. I would recommend not going to Zion any later than early June unless you like hot dry weather. October, may in fact, be the best time for Zion.

With only a week I would not try and factor is Canyon lands, Capital Reef or any other of the parks.

Zion and Bryce should be enough.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 1:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Oct. 27 2013, 6:01 pm)

(RobinHood @ Oct. 20 2013, 1:54 am)

LOL!

Hey, moron, obviously the lower parts are going to be the hotter parts.

LOL, you got me!

--------------
16 replies since Oct. 17 2013, 1:49 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Zion Bryce Canyonlands June 2014
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions