2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New in Colorado, Looking for hikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
anasazigeek Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 5:34 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just moved to Colorado from Utah a few months ago and got married.  I did a lot of backpacking and hiking in Utah (my username is also my website with .com on the end), but my wife is totally inexperienced.  Looking for some good dayhikes in the Boulder area that will capture her attention without kicking her butt.  We did do the Green Mountain hike above Boulder, which was nice because we had the view for a payoff.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are some very nice hikes that start at the East Portal of the Moffat Tunnel.

Heart Lake, Crater Lakes, Arapaho Lakes, etc.
 Post Number: 3
wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 23 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are truly interested in Indian rock art, in underused areas, check out the Southeast Corner of Colorado in the breaks of the Cimmaron River.  It will be a weekend trip, but easy terrain and interesting sites, with unique history of early Colorado settlement.

Check it out: http://www.springfieldcolorado.com/canyons.html

--------------
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
 Post Number: 4
anasazigeek Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 1:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the suggestions.
 Post Number: 5
Deborah Search for posts by this member.
Deborah - 18 Months

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go to Neptune's or REI and look at the gazillion book options.   That's the best thing about being local, we have all of the resources readily available.  There are several books devoted to front range hike and some targeted specifically to those close to Boulder.   Get a Gazetteer and go for it.

--------------
“What we need is production by the masses, not mass-production”  Gandhi

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn”  David Russell
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
MsDoolittle Search for posts by this member.
Don't mess with a girl and her shovel

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guess what? You live in hiking nirvana. Tons of hiking in and just outside of Boulder.

Head up toward Ned and Peak to Peak and you can gain access above treeline (although, we're getting into snowshoe season).

Speaking of Snowshoes, Brainard Lake has some excellent trails for snowshoing. Or head up to RMNP (not nearly as busy in the winter) and hit Bear Lake or Mills Lake.

The only thing you aren't real close to is anything south of I-70. And once all the highways are open that head up to Peak to Peak, it's a quick jaunt up to the mountains.

Deborah had a very good suggestion, head to Neptune or REI and grab some books. You've got loads of resources at your fingertips.

Welcome to the area (My husband and I live in Longmont)!
 Post Number: 7
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2013, 9:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've done Green Mountain? Well, Bear and S. Boulder peaks are still waiting in your immediate neighborhood. S. Boulder via Shadow Canyon is wonderful this time of year.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 31 2013, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

In '14 Mt. Audubon will be well received.

As much as driving seems to be shunned these days IMO if you forgoe Southern Colorado you forgoe the greatest the State has to offer, and I'm not talking I70 but HWY 50.

WWW's suggestion is awesome. Picket Wire Canyonlands is pretty darn cool among so many options.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
7 replies since Oct. 23 2013, 5:34 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New in Colorado
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions