2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: The Winds Sky Pilot Loop Aug 2014, route discussion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rogeremeadows Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 10:59 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any words of wisdom from people that have backpacked this route before?  I am starting out at Elkhart Park and considering doing the Glimpse to Summit, Summit to Little Seneca, Little Seneca to Titcomb and then Little Seneca to Elkhart Park.    Trip will be in mid to late August 2014.   How does this compare in both scenery and difficulty to Weminuche Elk Creek to Needleton Loop?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ChasWill Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 03 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We hiked it the other way in 07.  The trail between Pine Ck and Glimpse is unmaintained.  Certainly passable then but there were several washouts on the trail.  The slope is steep so if it got worse there may be some tricky spots.  Here is a map if you don’t have one yet.

--------------
Charlie
OuachitaMaps.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
rocketbomb Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My first mountain backpacking trip was close to that route.  We started and ended at Elkhart, going down to Fremont lake then up past glimpse to trapper, after that on to cutthroat past dean, then past summit to elbow, then camped at island lake with a day trip to the titcomb, then back to Elkhart park.  Apart from going up that non maintained trail on the north side of pine creek canyon, it is not a difficult route and is allmost entirely on nice trails. The hike up the north side of pine creek canyon about did me in, but being my first time in the mountains I had non idea what to expect and had not gotten into shape at all to be honest.  The trail is steep but not hard to follow and honestly there are much more difficult places to hike.  I will try to grab a link to my trip report here shortly.  There is decent fishing along pretty much the whole route.  It is a great introduction to the winds if you ask me.

Here is the trip
http://brentstark.smugmug.com/Journey...._V4MnMV

--------------
--B. Stark

Not all who wander are lost.
 Post Number: 4
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I always thought the Glimpse Lake route was kinda nuts. From Elkhart you lose about 1400 ft to Long Lake, and from there up to Glimpse you gain back 1400 plus.

But to each their own.
 Post Number: 5
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 1:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Can't imagine why anyone would waste an etire day going from Elkhart to Glimpse. Just begin at Spring Creek Park. You can have the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale shuttle your vehicle back to Elkhart.
Rics in Pinedale

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nailed it Rics. I hiked out of SC last year in fact, and up above Summit Lake I ran into a couple of groups of people who came up through Glimpse Lake and were headed back down that way. Bet they only do it once.
 Post Number: 7
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 05 2013, 8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Nov. 05 2013, 11:34 am)
Can't imagine why anyone would waste an entire day going from Elkhart to Glimpse. Just begin at Spring Creek Park. You can have the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale shuttle your vehicle back to Elkhart.

+2

It's ~ 1,880' down and  ~ 1,890' up, just to save the cost of a shuttle. That's not how I would ever want to spend my first pack day !!!

Spring Creek TH to Glimpse isn't even a 1/2 day hike. It's more like 2-3 hrs, giving you nearly an extra day to push on further, which then opens up the possibility of the far more scenic Knapsack Col / Upper Titcomb Basin route.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 7:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The route builds character though!

--------------
--B. Stark

Post Number: 9
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 10:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a couple questions for the collective wisdom about this area--I'm considering making my first trip to the Winds this summer. Probably solo. (Anyone interested in joining?)

I know that one will likely have plenty of human company in Titcomb Basin. But it also seems like a must-visit place if one is hiking in this part of the winds. But what about the other areas of this loop--is some measure of solitude likely? (I'm not a hermit or anything--but I especially enjoy camps with solitude.)

And are there private camps at all in Ticomb, if you get off the beaten path a little?

Also, I prefer getting to the high country a little on the early side. I'm comfortable with an ice axe. Any guesses on when upper Titcomb and Knapsack Col reasonably open up to a person competent with an ice axe in a typical snow year?

When the snow is still so low that you can't follow trails below treeline, and the stream crossings are all life-threatening, that's too early, to my mind.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Daves the man for this info, but I just want to say that I am a solo Bpacker also and finding solitude is number one for me. That's why I love the Winds, just sooo much room to roam. And so many fishable lakes of course. In the last 16 years of hiking the winds on multiple day trips I can only remember a few times when there were other campers at the same lake I was. However I do avoid high traffic areas such as Titcomb.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 70 and have lived in Pinedale for some 30 years. I've walked through Titcomb Valley more times than I can count and I must say the experience has never been marred by too many people. The place just swallows them up, although you will encounter other hikers on the trail. In my opinion Titcomb Valley is one of those very special places in the Lower 48 that should not be missed regardless of other backpackers who might be there. Do the loop up to Peak Lake, down Knapsack Col and back down Titcomb Valley to Island Lake. It's a World Class experience.
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 12
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 6:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Concentrate on the West side........nothing interesting on the East side of the divide.....      :;):  :;):
 Post Number: 13
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 06 2013, 7:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Nov. 05 2013, 8:33 pm)

(Rics @ Nov. 05 2013, 11:34 am)
Can't imagine why anyone would waste an entire day going from Elkhart to Glimpse. Just begin at Spring Creek Park. You can have the Great Outdoor Shop in Pinedale shuttle your vehicle back to Elkhart.

+2

It's ~ 1,880' down and  ~ 1,890' up, just to save the cost of a shuttle. That's not how I would ever want to spend my first pack day !!!

Spring Creek TH to Glimpse isn't even a 1/2 day hike. It's more like 2-3 hrs, giving you nearly an extra day to push on further, which then opens up the possibility of the far more scenic Knapsack Col / Upper Titcomb Basin route.

+3  When I went out of Elkhart last year I drove up to the trailhead the day before my trip and walked down the Pine Creek Canyon trail a bit just to see what it was like.  It didn't look like something I really wanted to spend a lot of time doing.  In 2015 I may do a trip starting at Spring Creek.  I don't want to go -+1890 ft for no good reason.   BTW how is the road to the Spring Creek TH?

2014 I'm going to the East side to see nothing interesting....

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 14
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 12:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

t6 when you going, may run across you on our way wandering, not that there is anything good over there   :;):   Trying to finish our route we bailed on 3 years ago.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In 2007 we didn't see much for people until jean lakes.  After that there were definitely people but it isn't terrible until you get on the highway at about Seneca or so headed back to Elkhart park.  The titcomb basin always has people but it is big.  It really never seems to feel crowded.  Island lake and the areas around it can seem like tent city though.  I have a serious soft spot for the elbow lake basin.  We hiked later than ever this year and saw more people than usual (late august).

I can echo the sentiments of others.  Nothing interesting on the east side!

--------------
--B. Stark

Post Number: 16
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Nov. 07 2013, 12:47 am)
t6 when you going, may run across you on our way wandering, not that there is anything good over there   :;):   Trying to finish our route we bailed on 3 years ago.

Don't have the date set in stone yet, but will be around the last week of August / first week September.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 2:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The initial road to SCP is rough and rocky but can be negotiated in a car if you drive slow and careful.  However, the road goes on for another 2 miles or so, but a vehicle with higher ground clearance is required. Most people with trucks suv's etc, go all the way up because it saves 2 miles of walking. Most cars and vans stay at the actual TH where you sign in.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 07 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course if a person couldn't live without hiking from Pine Creek up to
Glimpse Lake they could also contact Lakeside Lodge (Greg Ptasnick) at the lower end of Fremont Lake and see if they would arrange a boat ride the length of the lake, from there one could hike up-stream about one mile to the USFS bridge across Pine Creek, cross the bridge then hike up to Glimpse. On the other hand why not just drive to Spring Creek Park?
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
17 replies since Nov. 03 2013, 10:59 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply The Winds Sky Pilot Loop Aug 2014
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions