2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Yellowstone Backcountry Campsites, Mileage?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
null Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 9:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The internet is full of "macro" maps showing the approximate locations of Yellowstone backcountry campsites.  However, I can't for the life of me find the mileages between sites.

The campsites aren't on my Trails Illustrated map (they may be on a Beartooth Map or in various guidebooks but I don't want to purchase without knowing...).  Can anyone provide this information?  It makes planning inconvenient at least, especially when you have to submit your reservations far in advance.

Thanks,
Steve

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
NickHowes Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Beartooth Publishing 'Yellowstone National Park' map has trail mileages and the backcountry campsites marked.  It's not perfect, but very usable: you'd need to use it with the NPS publication and interpolate some of the mileages.

But this might be the best way to do it.

HTH, Nick
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd echo what Nick says.  I use Beartooth Publishing Maps as well and find them accurate, most of the time.  Not perfect, but decent enough.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Kayman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Trails Illustrated 'quadrant maps' of Yellowstone and I'm pretty sure the mileage is listed on them.
 Post Number: 5
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Kayman @ Nov. 12 2013, 12:53 pm)
I have the Trails Illustrated 'quadrant maps' of Yellowstone and I'm pretty sure the mileage is listed on them.

You're correct Kayman. I have the Trails Illustrated maps #'s 302, 303, 304 and 305 and I just checked all of them and the mileage is shown on them, as well as all the backcountry campsites.

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Excellent, thanks!  Just to be completely clear: do the quadrant maps show mileages between campsites?  Or are they like the Beartooth Map in which you have to interpolate (perhaps fairly accurately, but still interpolate)?

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 7
liv4mtns Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 12 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Which backcountry camp sites are you interested in?

--------------
Kevin.

Bozeman MT / Winder GA.

http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(null @ Nov. 12 2013, 7:02 pm)
Excellent, thanks!  Just to be completely clear: do the quadrant maps show mileages between campsites?  Or are they like the Beartooth Map in which you have to interpolate (perhaps fairly accurately, but still interpolate)?

From what I remember it's the mileage between sites.
 Post Number: 9
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 13 2013, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I checked my Trails Illustrated maps.  The mileages between campsites are not shown on them.  But, the campsites are accurately placed on the maps.

The Falcon guidebook Hiking Yellowstone National Park by Bill Schneider has accurate mileages between campsites and other landmarks in the trail descriptons.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 7:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(burntfoot @ Nov. 13 2013, 11:44 pm)
I checked my Trails Illustrated maps.  The mileages between campsites are not shown on them.

Damn, I just ordered 2 of the quadrants online.  I'm not sure why this info is so heavily guarded.  I'll do the waypoint flyover as suggested earlier.

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(null @ Nov. 14 2013, 7:04 am)

I checked my Trails Illustrated maps.  The mileages between campsites are not shown on them.

Damn, I just ordered 2 of the quadrants online.  I'm not sure why this info is so heavily guarded.  I'll do the waypoint flyover as suggested earlier.

I'll say it again......................

My Yellowstone Quadrant maps DO have the mileage on them.
 Post Number: 12
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 14 2013, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My trails illustrated maps have the mileage on them as well as campsites in pretty close location.  As  above Falcon Books Yellowstone mileage is pretty good.  If all else fails I plot on Garmin Mapsource and its pretty close.

Maybe they implemented cost costing for your map print issue.    :)
 Post Number: 13
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(liv4mtns @ Nov. 12 2013, 3:20 pm)

(Kayman @ Nov. 12 2013, 12:53 pm)

You're correct Kayman. I have the Trails Illustrated maps #'s 302, 303, 304 and 305 and I just checked all of them and the mileage is shown on them, as well as all the backcountry campsites.

The above posts are spot on. How is ther so many replies for a simple reply on this post.  All 4 of the trails illustrated maps for the four quadrants of Yellowstone NP show the mileages to backcountry campsites.  

Now, some of the backcountry sites are off trail a bit, sometimes up to a mile, and the maps do a good job of showing this, but not always.  If you have specific questions about campsites, ask me.  I've seen just about all of them.

In the last few years, Trails Illustrated has updated all 4 quadrant maps for Yellowstone. These new updated maps are better, and larger.  They show more detail.  And the mileage for the trails is very accurate.  Better than most of the Trails Illustrated maps.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 14
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Again, all 4 quadrant maps for Yellowstone will have the mileage between backcountry campsites.

How does the most reputable Yellowstone poster on this website get this wrong??  Burntfoot, I love your posts on this site, but I think you've been gone from the park too, too long!!!!  Get back out there and explore.  Just messing with you man!!  Enjoy reading your replies and respect your knowledge on the park.

One thing to note, the main Trails Illustrated Yellowstone map for the whole park will NOT show mileage to backcountry campsites. But, again, the quadrant maps of Yellowstone will show the mileage.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Nov. 18 2013, 12:26 am)
Again, all 4 quadrant maps for Yellowstone will have the mileage between backcountry campsites.

I just received the 2 Trails Illustrated Maps I ordered and the mileages are indeed on them, thanks very much for the info!

Just for my info ... how does one access sites like 4B1 or 4B2?  I assume it's a walk up Broad Creek up some sort of social trail, but maybe there's a different way?

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
 Post Number: 16
scatman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

null - I can't speak for 4B2, but for 4B1, when you get to Orange Rock Springs along the Wapiti Lake Trail head off-trail, slightly northeast until you hit the drainage that runs into Josephs Coat Springs.  You should be able to pick up a game trail that will lead the way. Once at the Josephs Coat Springs head south along the creek to 4B1.  When I hiked to Wapiti Lake and up onto the Mirror Plateau back in 2009, I didn't notice any social trail up Broad Creek towards 4B3 and 4B2.
 Post Number: 17
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RobinHood @ Nov. 17 2013, 10:26 pm)

How does the most reputable Yellowstone poster on this website get this wrong??  Burntfoot, I love your posts on this site, but I think you've been gone from the park too, too long!!!!  Get back out there and explore.  Just messing with you man!!  Enjoy reading your replies and respect your knowledge on the park.

One thing to note, the main Trails Illustrated Yellowstone map for the whole park will NOT show mileage to backcountry campsites. But, again, the quadrant maps of Yellowstone will show the mileage.

Obviously, the more recent maps are better than the ones I had from the late 90's.  But, I was right about the Falcon Press book.  The old Marshall book's mileages were horrible.  Once I was crossing Pitchstone Plateau, and the mileages were way short, and I missed my reserved campsite and had to bivouac.

I've got to get back there.  My boy is 4 years old now, so in a few years we'll get back there to hike and explore.  We'll probably get up there within 2 or 3 years to do a touron trip.

--------------
I love the mountains!
16 replies since Nov. 12 2013, 9:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Yellowstone Backcountry Campsites
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions