2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winds: Anyone been up Tourist Creek?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
cweston Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 5:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This looks like exactly the kind of route I love: beautiful open high country, with multiple travel options, private basins, and peaks to scramble, but protected by a difficult off-trail climb to get there.

I could even imagine a very ambitious loop from Elkhart (or Green River Lakes), up to the mouth of Tourist Creek (into the Green River) via the Highline Trail, up Tourist Creek and eventually over Knapsak Col by way of Mammoth Glacier and the pass west of Split Mountain.

But the route up Tourist Creek (below the upper basin) looks somewhat nasty. Joe Kelsey (Climbing and Hiking in the Wind River Mountains) says 3 hours of boulder-hopping from the Green River +1500 feet to the upper basin. My experience tells me that when a climbing guidebook says it's a hard approach, then it usually is.

Anyone been there?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
offtrail Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 6:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cweston,

I have not been up that route, but I have found multiple trip reports describing it. Kelsey's book is accurate in that regard, about 3 hours of boulder hopping. Most report have talked about staying at the lake right on top, I believe, Lake 10090, because they were pretty shot after the ascent.

I have been over on Mammoth Glacier and the area around there. The terrain in rough, but spectacular. This is a great way to climb Gannett as well. There's a couloir that runs from a arm of Mammoth right up to the top of the ridge. From there it's an easy walk to the summit. You'll need crampons and an ice axe for any travel back there. Mammoth has some crevasses, but generally nothing too bad. Coming off the pass from Split is just a fairly steep scree and talus slope.

offtrail
 Post Number: 3
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

cweston,

I'd have to check my notes but pretty sure I looked up that talus slope and bagged it (me solo). Very funky, couch size talus, thousands of feet of uphill load carrying while boulder hopping. Scan the web and you'll find trip reports, pics.

Offtrail, didn't we correspond re your Mammoth Gl. route years back? If so, thanks. Haven't done it but your info was solid, much appreciated.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good info, guys--thanks.

The trick, it seems, is determining if it is a hard but rewarding route worth doing, or just unnecessary torture.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 7:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd picture hours of hazard, penalties not fatal, but a broken ankle opportunity almost per minute, waiting for a momentary mental lapse.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Eric H @ Nov. 26 2013, 6:02 pm)
I'd picture hours of hazard, penalties not fatal, but a broken ankle opportunity almost per minute, waiting for a momentary mental lapse.

Heh. My son and I found ourselves spending the better part of a day in that kind of terrain in the Gore Range this summer.

No broken ankles, but I did puke when we were almost back to our camp. I told my son it was the altitude (and, to an extent, I'm sure it was), but I know it was mostly just exhaustion.

Eric--if you find anything in your notes, please let me know.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 26 2013, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here's some reading. Mind these are some of the toughest hombres around, doing Gannett as a day trip, under 13 hours car to car, running. Reading the paragraph below was therapeutic for me  :D

http://adventurerun.wordpress.com/2009/08/03/gannett-peak-fkt/

"“Tourist Creek is a tough route! There is a mind- and quad-blowing amount of rock hopping. Once you leave the flat Highline Trail there is virtually no easy going. This route is seldom done because few people are fit enough (or dumb enough) to attempt it in one day, but if you go for the backpack you either camp at the 10 mile point, and still have a brutal day ahead of you, or you schlep your pack up 2000 vertical feet in 1.5 miles of viscious rock hopping and scrambling to a high camp at 10,200′. Above that you will encounter more rock hopping and talus, glacier travel and moderately steep snow climbing, and class 4 scrambling at above 13,500′. Tough stuff."
6 replies since Nov. 26 2013, 5:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Winds: Anyone been up Tourist Creek?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions