2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Colorado BPing Suggestions Wanted, Routes near Denver?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MarkS Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 11:31 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone

My son has a new job in Denver area so we figure that is a perfect excuse for us to plan a BPing trip in Colorado next summer.  My wife and I are expereinced BPers from Minnesota, but have not BPed in Colorado.  We figure we can use my son to shuttle us so we are not restricted to loop hikes.  

Anyway, we are looking for suggested routes (6-10 days) that would have fewer rather than more people, can be high altitude, wilderness areas are ok as they are less restrictive, not a "bad drive" from Denver.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Eric H Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's a strong CO contingent on this board and I'll defer to them for insight on venues . . . but I do believe it'd expedite the discussion if you define what a "bad drive" from Denver is in terms of hours.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fair enough.  It is my son who has to do the driving, so how about two hours.  Of course if there is an especially spectacular hike someone would recommend at 2 1/2 hrs, then please tell me.  

Mark
 Post Number: 4
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You mentioned within 2 1/2 hours, and with fewer rather than more people.

If you didn't mind more people, there are some spectacular hikes in the Indian Peaks Wilderness, or in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park that.  But, even within these areas, places can be found with fewer people.  The far north or south of the national park.  Or the Devils Thumb area of Indian Peaks.  

Aside from that, you could go to the Lost Creek Wilderness.  A bit further away, but within your parameters, you could consider the Mt. Zirkel Wilderness or the Collegiate Peaks areas.

Finally, you mentioned summer.  I'm hoping you mean July or August.  June could still have a LOT of snow in most of these areas at high altitude.  Or, at the very least, mucky conditions if the snow is gone.  By the last week of June,  you'll probably be okay, depending on how much snow we have this winter.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 5
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If it were me, I'd head to the Gore Range for sure. It's near Vail, about a 2 hour drive from Denver, all freeway.

The Gores are surprisingly uncrowded, given their close proximity to I-70. They are rugged and beautiful, but their lack of 14ers causes hikers/climbers to overlook them. Several trailheads are literally right off of I-70.

There aren't a lot of loop hikes there unless you're willing to get off-trail and cross passes to connect trails, though.

Here's a TR of a trip I took there this past summer:

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1165751
 Post Number: 6
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll agree with Gore Range also.  I hesitated putting them into my post because of the in-and-out nature of those trails.  And, the tree kill from the bark beetles.  But, yes, they are pretty

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All

Thank you for the replies so far.  We will check out the suggestions.  

We have a lot experience in the Rockies so we would plan on a trip in August or early September.  We normally do loops just because we have one car, but with my son available to drop off and pick up, we are not limited to  loops or out and backs.

Mark S
 Post Number: 8
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 01 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Third recommendation for the Gore Range...and a reminder that summer backpacking season for Colorado starts in July.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 12:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Gore Range Info.....IMHO part of the fun is doing the research and putting together a trip.  There's lots here.  Have fun!

http://www.gorerange.info/
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok reconsidered distance from Denver.

How about new recommendations that include  substantial time above tree line. Fewer people is better.
 Post Number: 11
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's relatively easy to plan a trip with substantial time above treeline in most Colorado areas--that's not really going to change anyone's recommendation.

Solitude is pretty-well assured in most places (other than RMNP, Indian Peaks, etc) if you're willing to get off the trail. I did two mutli-day trips in Colorado this past summer (one in the Gores, one in the Sangres), and in both cases we had entire basins to ourselves because we were a little ways off the beaten path.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 02 2013, 10:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

3.5 miles from Denver puts you in the Sangre de Cristos.
 Post Number: 13
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 02 2013, 10:55 pm)

hours

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 04 2013, 8:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(frihauf @ Dec. 04 2013, 2:46 pm)

(Lamebeaver @ Dec. 02 2013, 10:55 pm)

hours

Ben

oops!  :D
 Post Number: 15
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2013, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Downtown Denver it should be about 2.5 hours to Westcliffe.  6-10 days would allow for multiple out and backs connected by very short distances on the Rainbow Trail. Seems everyone here has Loopsternitis. Fact is most spectacular country is out and back.

The Sangres are my favorite part of Colorado but instead of 6-10 days I'd suggest two hikes, one short and one longer:

1) Willow Lake: Out and back because loopsternauts almost never see such spectacle. Make it two nights and do Challenger and Kit Carson on the "off" day.

2) From Crestone hike up North Crestone, head south to Phantom Terrace and out Venable Creek. Absolutely spectacular point to point is more than worth shuttle concerns.

In the Juans with longer drive how about Colorado Trail both sides of Bolam Pass?

If you have 6-10 days take a half day on each side and drive to Dubois, WY and either venture into the lesser travelled NE Wind Rivers or across the valley in the amazing southern Absaroka?

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
14 replies since Nov. 30 2013, 11:31 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Colorado BPing Suggestions Wanted
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions