2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Winds quickie question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tamarac Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 2:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anybody ever gone over the rock from Halls Lake to Europe Canyon?

Plausible? The lines on the map look pretty close together. :D

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's ok to have a quickie in the Winds or anywhere else, for that matter.

Oh, wait...was that not what you were asking?
 Post Number: 3
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had a few quickies in the Winds, but never at Hall's........  ???

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p?
 Post Number: 4
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

lol........  
Looked like it was possible when I looked at it years ago on our trip thru there, from Shoestring lake (fish).  Looks do able on Mapsource and Google Earth..... I'd go that route.  Did a lot others that look worse.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 9:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nothing should be done quickly in the Winds. It is to be savored. Only the questions on where to go there.  :D

Shoestring Lake is also called Howe and it is listed as a Brook trout fishery.

Fair, good or excellent bob?
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't remember a catching lot of brookies but we caught a ton of 16-18" cuts in Halls and Shoestring......I'd say pretty good fishing, but that entire trip was pretty good fishing.   A ton of mosquitos as well.  This was back in 09.  Things do change.
 Post Number: 7
offtrail Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2013, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tamarac,

Yes that is passable. I went over that way just this past summer. Left Halls lake and dropped down the steam just a ways and then turned up a hillside for a couple of hundred feet. Once on top it was and easy walk over to lake 10806. We stayed high and didn't drop into the valley below Medina Mtn, and came right to the outlet of Lake 10806. We went around the east side of the lake and actually picked up a use trail that lead to a saddle overlooking Lake 10542 (Lower Europe Canyon Lake). We traversed down the hillside and there was an intermittent use trail. Someone had actually taken a horse through there. We finally dropped down towards the lake and picked up another use trail that lead right to the outlet of Lake 10542 and then we went up into Europe Canyon. We continued north around Long Lake, but that wasn't your question.

offtrail
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks all!

offtrail

Yes I know you can go west from Halls Lake and go into the lower end of Europe Canyon traversing between Median Mt and Horseshoe Ridge. I was thinking of going above Halls Lake, and Shoestring (Howe) Lake and over the top into the upper lakes in Europe Canyon. Should come out at Lake 10,813. Its looks like about a thousand foot climb up and over but doable.

And bob, that's strange that you caught Cutts up there as these are listed as Brook Trout lakes only and the few people I have talked to that have fished Halls, (Osthoff mentions Halls briefly in his book) only caught Brookies and fat healthy ones.

Hmmm....now this makes it even more interesting for me.
:D
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Dec. 15 2013, 9:15 am)
bob, that's strange that you caught Cutts up there as these are listed as Brook Trout lakes only and the few people I have talked to that have fished Halls, (Osthoff mentions Halls briefly in his book) only caught Brookies and fat healthy ones.

Hmmm....now this makes it even more interesting for me.
:D

That is interesting.

I know of no way cutts could push out an existing brookie  population...... without a little Rotenone.......

FWIW, Halls is one of those places "so close, but so far away" that I've never visited.

I've slipped by on the bench from Lower Europe Lk (Lk 10,542'), past Lk 10,806' and contoured around on the path of least resistance to end up at Lk 10,048 on the Middle Frk of Boulder Crk, but that's as close as I've been.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2013, 10:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tamarac,

I realized what you were asking after I posted my response. No I haven't been over that pass. It's refered to on the Earthwalk maps as Locust Pass. I have been far up the valley above Shoestring part of the way, but not up to the pass. It's easy grass up most of the way on the Shoestring side, however the last 500 ft or so is nasty looking scree. The very top seems to be guarded by a snow cornice that lasts well into August. I've been up to Halls twice and both time the cornice was there. The Europe Canyon side is mixed terrain. The top is again all scree and talus and then eases into some nice grassy slopes right down to Lake 10813. I did meet a couple of guys this year hiking past Bewmark Lake and we talked about our respective routes. They were heading south and had gone past Europe Canyon, but they too took the side route over to Halls. One of the guys had been uo to Locust Pass on a previous trip and indicated that it was something he wouldn't want to carry a pack over.

Hope that answers the question a little better.

offtrail
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 2:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tamarac, SWT...... got me wondering......

We caught so many fish and fished so many lakes on our 110 mile trip !
I went back and looked thru my pics.  You are correct, my one pic of fish from Halls is a Brookie......looks to be about 15".  The next pic was of hords of mosquitos with Hall Lk in the background.  
Looked again at the pass on Google Earth...... we'd take packs over it, but we do some interesting stuff!
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where do you find the Wyoming fish report for the lakes in the Winds..... I've not seen that.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 9:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks OT, that adds clarity indeed. I have Earthwalk maps and I didn't see Locust pass, but I'll look again.

And Yeah Dave I can understand why people would miss Halls Lake. Being off trail and a bit out of the way one would have to want to go there. Even Osthoff mentioned that he wished he had gone there earlier in his life, when perhaps the Brookies were bigger and fatter.

Bobb-Game and Fish used to publish a pamphlet called; Bridger Wilderness, A Guide To Fishing Lakes. I have had mine for years and do not know if they still have it or not.

Also a copy of that same pamphlet can be found in the guide book Walking The Winds by Rebecca Woods.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 11:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hall's Lake:

View to the pass looking up the drainage (pass has a snow cap, center):

It's Shoestring Lake and no Locust Pass on my Earthwalk Map.
Going north from Hall's if you're looking at fishing: lake 10806 by Medina Mtn was fast and furious, lake 10741 had some 16"ers, Long lake has some big fish but they are picky, Glacier lake was good, lake 10322 was great. In 2009. we came from Skull lake (near Hailey Pass) all the way across via Bonneville lk, Middle fork lake, Hall's lake, etc. and cut over to the east side at lake 10322.  In that 3 days, 6 people at Skull, 1 person at Bonneville, 4 people at Middle Fork, 1 person at Hall, 1 person at Europe Cyn lks.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Much thanks Bobb, beautiful pics and great info. Very enticing looking area.

I am assuming at Glacier and 10,322 you caught Cutts? And at 10,806 below Medina was Brookies?

Thanks again.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tamarac @ Dec. 17 2013, 7:43 am)
Game and Fish used to publish a pamphlet called; Bridger Wilderness, A Guide To Fishing Lakes. I have had mine for years and do not know if they still have it or not. Also a copy of that same pamphlet can be found in the guide book Walking The Winds by Rebecca Woods.

(bbobb169 @ Dec. 16 2013, 12:51 pm)
Where do you find the Wyoming fish report for the lakes in the Winds..... I've not seen that.

I still have my copy of Bridger Wilderness, A Guide To Fishing Lakes as well as several pages of maps and notes that a biologist mailed me from the Lander office covering the East Slope public lands, but hands down the best resource that was in print was John Baughman's "The Most Complete Guide To... Wyoming Fishing "

John, if IRC, was the former head fishery biologist for WY, and his book is a treasure trove of data listing every lake/stream/creek in WY. It lists every lake with fish and lists the species, ave. size, as well as angler success, either reported or expected through population density. The book also lists those lakes that were definitely barren during sampling, and most interesting, the lakes listed with a "?" are for those that have never been sampled.

The book lists the lakes by the name the Fishery dept. has labeled them, so many to most of the un-named lakes on the topo maps or in Osthoff's book are named and are fairly widely used now, by those in "The inner circle".

It is out of print however, and never had a huge release, so the price on the used book market is exorbitant.

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Dave, that sounds like THE book to have if interested in fishing the Winds.

I'll put in for a 401K distribution to pick one of those up.
:laugh:
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have old Earthwalk maps of the Winds from 1993. Locust Pass is named on the map. I checked a friends newer Earthwalk maps of the Winds and found several things deleted including Locust Pass.

Just for clarification.

offtrail
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2013, 11:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That makes sense then OT. My Earthwalk maps are 5th edition published in 2005.

Locust Pass it is!
18 replies since Dec. 12 2013, 2:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Winds quickie question
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions