2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Grand Gulch Bullet Canyon, options for trailheads< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
rogeremeadows Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 9:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The beginning trailhead at Kane and the ending trailhead at the exit of Bullet Canyon are approx 8 miles apart.  What options have you used to get back to the Kane Ranger station if you solo hiked the route where the shuttle vehicle option is not available?   I know hiking the 8 miles is always an option but wanted to explore other options....bike?  hitch?  etc.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 11:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's not a lot of traffic up there, but hitching is an option.  Twice I've hired a shuttle, but it was a group, and splitting five or six ways makes it a lot more reasonable.

Also, if you choose (or are forced) to walk the road, there can be quite a few loose cattle along that stretch.
 Post Number: 3
craumerp Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2014, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've only done that hike once, at the beginning of May, but I ended up walking the road (while several dozen cars passed by as I tried to hitch a ride).  It wasn't so bad -- the cattle were friendly!
 Post Number: 4
chuckbo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2014, 7:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did that hike last may, only in reverse.  In doing research here on backpacker, posters informed me it wasn't hard to get a ride (they see your backpack, they know your a hiker), but  I took an old bike with me anyway.                 Dropped my wife and gear off at Bullet, then drove my car back to the RS.  Got my bike out and started to pedal back to Bullet.  Only got about 300 yards when a truck pulled up beside me (had seen me leaving the RS) and gave me a ride to Bullet. (I left the bike beside the road)  Turned out he was with a large group going in Kane and out Bullet, and they were leaving a shuttle vehicle at Bullet.               At Bullet, another couple had just finished and were hoping to catch a ride (or walk) to Kane and their car.  The hikers who gave me a ride gladly took these two back to RS.       When we finished our hike 4 days later at Kane, I saw my bike by the bike rack.  It may still be there (blue with duct tape seat)   At the RS were lots of other backpackers and dayhikers.  JUST ASK.  The worst they can say is no.
 Post Number: 5
kkvolk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2014, 8:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

We did the same route as you   We went hoping that we would meet someone at the ranger station going the other direction. It worked out great.   I followed them down to Bullet Canyon and left my truck there and drove their truck back yo the RS and left it there for them.
I made the trip at the urging of a friend. On the way back home I called him as soon as we got back into cell phone range to thank him for insisting that I make the trip
4 replies since Feb. 03 2014, 9:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Grand Gulch Bullet Canyon
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions