2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: wind river for day hikes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 10:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Need advise for the Wind River Range for day hikes with trail heads accessible to for a low clearance car.  Thanks

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 21 2014, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Day hiking the Wind's is like going to a 5 start restaurant and ordering a diet coke to go.
Which side, E or W, and north or south ? The range stretches over 100 mi without a road crossing, to get to get from east to west. How much driving are planning ?

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 3
countr21 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[quote=swimswithtrout,Feb. 21 2014, 11:54 pm][/quote]
Almost all of the major trailheads are low clearance accessible, and all of these trailheads have decent attractions depending on far you can go in a day.  I know a lot of folks who can do a 16 mi round trip in a day, and others who can only handle a few miles.  It's all up to you.  Pick up a copy of Falcon's Wind River Range hiking guide book, and comb over the areas you can handle in a day's round trip.
 Post Number: 4
leafwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 21 2014, 11:54 pm)
Day hiking the Wind's is like going to a 5 start restaurant and ordering a diet coke to go.
Which side, E or W, and north or south ? The range stretches over 100 mi without a road crossing, to get to get from east to west. How much driving are planning ?

Where? Wife and I are open. Plan on 4 days of day hiking about 7 miles per day in the Winds (or more). we usually tent/car camp. Coming from the east and probably doing the touron thing (king of - probably long day hikes there also) in Yellowstone afterward and then off to somewhere else. We day hike on our trips. Age kind of caught up with my knee, but 6 or 7 miles at our pace is good. Wife is really into flower ID.  Thanks

--------------
One step at a time is good walking
- Chinese proverb

Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds, for the opportunity to rain on a tent. - D Barry

Peace and love.

The wind blew my list of things to do away.
 Post Number: 5
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 22 2014, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(leafwalker @ Feb. 22 2014, 5:47 pm)
Where? Wife and I are open. Plan on 4 days of day hiking about 7 miles per day in the Winds (or more). We day hike on our trips. Age kind of caught up with my knee, but 6 or 7 miles at our pace is good. Wife is really into flower ID.  Thanks

That really cut's it short.

There is an extremely short list of good dayhikes in the Wind's, I could count them on one hand, but they are all 12-20 mi. RT.

The best I can suggest for your requirements would be:

#1 The hike to Photographer's Point from Elkhart Park. Fairly level. The drive to the TH alone will have you pull off the road for a few pic's. ~ 8 mi RT

#2 A stroll along the trails above Green River Lks. with Squaretop Mtn in the background. Completely level. Distance up to you.

#3 The best dayhike in the Wind's is 14+ mi  RT, but level most of the way. The Deep Lk Cirque out of Big Sandy TH.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 6
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 12:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The three most popular day hikes on the west side are:
(1)Drive up to Green River Lakes (13m of dirt) Hike along Green River Lakes. Spectacular Squaretop dominates the horizon. You can tent camp at the USFS campground at trailhead. It's 50 miles from Pinedale to Green River Lakes.

(2) From Pinedale drive up paved skyline drive road (13 miles) to Elkhart Trailhead.
Hike to Photographers Point (5.5 m.)
(3) Drive to Big Sandy Trailhead. Rod is rough but passable for even low clearance vehicles (trust me). Hike the 5.5 miles to Big Sandy Lake. Got more time? Head up Jackass Pass or south to Deep Lake. It just doesn't get any more spectacular.
You  should actually camp at Big Sandy Lake and dayhike from there. There is a USFS campground at Big Sandy Trailhead.

Enjoy the Wind River Brew Pub in Pinedale. Enjoy the $13 million Aquatic Center In Pinedale.
Rics in Pinedale, USA

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 7
tarpon6 Search for posts by this member.
swimswithtarpon

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about Lake Louise from the Torrey Creek Trail Head on the Northeast end? Looks like about 5 miles round trip.  I've heard it recommended as a day hike in the past.  I've never done it so I am not sure of the condition of the road leading to the trail head.

--------------
“In the wilderness man learns to have faith in his Creator.”
     — Finis Mitchell
 Post Number: 8
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 7:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dubois is an awesome day hiking area into the NE Winds and Southern Absaroka. Lake Louise is fine for the car and comes in at 3.6 miles roundtrip but figure a little more exertion as the trail does roll.

free image host

There are a few nice car camping spots near the Trailhead on Torrey Creek. Also a short petroglyph walk in this area. I found easy/moderate dayhiking out of Elkhart Park not very rewarding. I've got some other dayhike info for the Northeastern Winds out of Dubois and will send to you privately on request. I suggest you start with Upper Jade Lake in the SW Absaroka near Brooks Lake, once of the finer places you'll ever drive into. It's 4.8 miles roundtrip and a little easier than Lake Louise. You can also do a lollipop loop with lower Jade that is a very nice and come in about 6.5 miles roundtrip. Jade Lakes are considered by many some of the most beautiful the entire spine of the Divide. If you could do 8 easy miles Upper Brooks and Rainbow are awesome too. Great dispersed car camping in the area but hard sided camping order might be here to stay there. HEre's Upper Jade this past summer, early August.

screengrab

Double Cabin is usually OK for a car and has a great, easy  hike on Frontier Creek Ranger Sven did with me a few years ago. Here is view from Car near DC.

screen cap

I have a list of many day hikes in the Upper Wind River Valley if you'd like me to share with you.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 9
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 23 2014, 9:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really enjoyed the Lake Louise and Bomber Basin trails when I was in Dubois a few years back.  Dubois is a nice, little western town.  Check out the Cowboy Cafe for good eats and Two Oceans Bookstore.  Let DC buy you a beer if you af there, too...

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 10
countr21 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 24 2014, 1:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A few unspectacular destinations out of the Worthern Meadow TH could be:  the Sheep Bridge over the Middle Popo Agie (4 mi. R/T) and Roaring Fork Lake (1.25 mi. R/T).  Roaring Fork Lake is small but is nestled nicely in the timber and has a fun outlet you can wade.  I saw an older couple there in waders catching small brook trout.  

The Middle Fork of the Popo Agie at Sheep Bridge is nice I guess.  You could cross the bridge and walk up the river as far as you'd like.  The Middle Fork is a nice sized backcountry stream full of little brookies.  There are two sets of very nice waterfalls.  The first is a little ways above the bridge placed back in the timber away from the trail and the second set is right on the trail a few miles above the bridge.  Worthern Meadow has a very nice campground right on a nice reservoir full of stocked (little) trout.  The best campsites are in the south east loop.

A most spectacular destination out of Worthern Meadow would be the pass on the trail that goes over to Stough Creek Basin.  It's about 5 miles one way and it's a climb the whole way, but the view of Wind River Peak from the pass rivals Photographer's Point.  You pass by Roaring Fork Lake on this trail.            

How about the trail (Fiddler's Lake TH) up Silas Canyon in the Popo Agie?  That's a beauty and it's only about 10 miles R/T to Island Lake, which is an amazing lake to explore.  It has a very convoluted shape with arms and legs sprawling all over.  There are small cutthroats in Island.  Even if 10 miles is too much, then Upper Silas Lake is only 7 miles R/T.  Both Lower and Upper Silas Lakes are full of very easily caught brookies.  I stopped at Upper Silas for lunch and watched a pair of young fly fisherman mop up about 7-8 fish in the 30 minutes I saw.  Fiddler's Lake and campground are very nice.  The little lake was stocked last year with fingerling rainbows and there are some browns up to 8-9".  There are resident moose and mule deer that hang around the lake and adjacent meadows.    

I'm pretty sure Little Sandy Lake (supposed to be very lovely) is only about a 8-9 mile R/T from the campground below the trail that goes over Sweetwater Gap.
 Post Number: 11
Squaretop Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 10:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Feb. 22 2014, 10:14 pm)

(leafwalker @ Feb. 22 2014, 5:47 pm)
Where? Wife and I are open. Plan on 4 days of day hiking about 7 miles per day in the Winds (or more). We day hike on our trips. Age kind of caught up with my knee, but 6 or 7 miles at our pace is good. Wife is really into flower ID.  Thanks

That really cut's it short.

There is an extremely short list of good dayhikes in the Wind's, I could count them on one hand, but they are all 12-20 mi. RT.

The best I can suggest for your requirements would be:

#1 The hike to Photographer's Point from Elkhart Park. Fairly level. The drive to the TH alone will have you pull off the road for a few pic's. ~ 8 mi RT

#2 A stroll along the trails above Green River Lks. with Squaretop Mtn in the background. Completely level. Distance up to you.

#3 The best dayhike in the Wind's is 14+ mi  RT, but level most of the way. The Deep Lk Cirque out of Big Sandy TH.

I've done  1,2,&3.   All are great.  Thus my username Squaretop.  #3 you could cut short at Big Sandy Lake.

--------------
You can't buy time or memories.
"How'd I get involved".
 Post Number: 12
rbs10025 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 26 2014, 10:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Feb. 23 2014, 12:09 pm)

(1)Drive up to Green River Lakes (13m of dirt) Hike along Green River Lakes. Spectacular Squaretop dominates the horizon. You can tent camp at the USFS campground at trailhead. It's 50 miles from Pinedale to Green River Lakes.

Rics, Is the road into Green River Lakes any better than it was two years ago? We were in a truck with really stiff suspension and had to stop several times just to get some relief from the constant jiddering. That 13 miles of dirt and gravel must have taken 45 minutes.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
11 replies since Feb. 21 2014, 10:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply wind river for day hikes
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions