2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: We're thinking of moving to the region...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 6:44 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My fiance, Kim, and I want to make a fresh start.

We live in NYC, now, and want out. Not only that, we'd like to be closer to backpacking. As it stands, it takes us 2 and a half hours just to get to a trailhead.

We've been looking at Colorado, particularly the Ft. Collins area if she can find work there. We'll take suggestions as to other places. Mostly we want out of a big city, and access to the wilds.

She's a paralegal with 20+ years' experience. I can do stuff; customer service, web design/devo, outdoor work.

We'd like to find a little one- or two-bedroom, house preferable, ~$1000/mo including utilities. We've seen some offerings that looked great, especially a couple of great little cabins/bungalows.

We have a cat, and he's coming.

Our time frame is late spring/early summer.

We are prepared for cold weather, in town and in the sticks, though we'd rather a pretty well-balanced weather year. We don't enjoy abject heat.

Any input would be appreciated.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 11:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any place along the front range would fit that bill..  Look into Colorado Springs (I'm from there so I'm biased)  Literally next to the mountains and incredibly beautiful.
 Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 11:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a CC Grad and also love Colorado Springs but with all due respect to Starbreaker I think Fort Collins is an excellent first choice, IMO the best of Front Range Cities. One of my college buddies has built a very good life with his wife in the Durango area.

Denver is an awesome city, come a long way last 30 years. Nationally recognized music scene and more. It has sprawl so would not feel like Manhattan in any way unless you lived right in the relatively small city core and never ventured out of it.

Welcome home BS.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 7:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been living here in Ft. Collins since '73. There's no other city on the Front Range I'd rather live.

It is starting to get pricy though, to rent or own. Loveland, just 10 min down the road, is considerably cheaper.

FWIW, it's normally warmer here in Ft. Collins than NYC, this winter excepted, and much warmer in the summer, "but it's a dry heat"  :D  .

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 5
AugustChristopher Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Check out Missoula, Portland, Salt Lake City.

I consider Colorado still part of the "East Coast"

But, if I were to venture into Colorado, Ft. Collins and Durango would be my first choices.  Completely different towns though.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AugustChristopher @ Mar. 02 2014, 7:51 pm)

But, if I were to venture into Colorado, Ft. Collins and Durango would be my first choices.  Completely different towns though.

With all due respect !@#$ you. I love Colorado and with all due respect to Granolagon and Manhattatana I love exquisite weather. Yes, the Front Range and Colorado have some extreme weather, but the vast majority of the calendar is top notch awesome. And Colorado's culture is more akin to a critical thinking New Yakker despite the fact there's far more of an Eastern Oilgarchy presence up there. And they're leaving NY. Missoula's an awesome place but for how many months do you suck down the wood smoke there?

Bbbbbbbbbbhhhhhhhhhhurrrrrrrpppppp.

Excuse me.

Staying in the region I'll say Albuquerque doesn't do it for me, lived there 8 months and fully understand why I love New Mexico outside Bernalillo County. SLC is sweet but God can't see over the Divide so I think the Front Range is where you want to be. Santa Fe has it's attributes but can be VERY expensive.

However Durango and Fort Collins are similar given scale in many ways. Fort Lewis is a fine Institution, I've seen world class speakers there. Durango may be just 20% the size of FC but it has culture and is in simply a really wonderful area. Half way between Canyonlands and Salida.

We can make great points for many areas in the region. Start looking for jobs and keep us posted. Great luck to you Silk.

--------------

Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Mar. 02 2014, 8:22 pm)

(AugustChristopher @ Mar. 02 2014, 7:51 pm)

With all due respect !@#$ you. I love Colorado and with all due respect to Granolagon and Manhattatana I love exquisite weather. Yes, the Front Range and Colorado have some extreme weather, but the vast majority of the calendar is top notch awesome. And Colorado's culture is more akin to a critical thinking New Yakker despite the fact there's far more of an Eastern Oilgarchy presence up there. And they're leaving NY. Missoula's an awesome place but for how many months do you suck down the wood smoke there?

Bbbbbbbbbbhhhhhhhhhhurrrrrrrpppppp.

Excuse me.

Staying in the region I'll say Albuquerque doesn't do it for me, lived there 8 months and fully understand why I love New Mexico outside Bernalillo County. SLC is sweet but God can't see over the Divide so I think the Front Range is where you want to be. Santa Fe has it's attributes but can be VERY expensive.

However Durango and Fort Collins are similar given scale in many ways. Fort Lewis is a fine Institution, I've seen world class speakers there. Durango may be just 20% the size of FC but it has culture and is in simply a really wonderful area. Half way between Canyonlands and Salida.

We can make great points for many areas in the region. Start looking for jobs and keep us posted. Great luck to you Silk.

And yet you live in Wyoming, John.  I live west of Colorado, and will always consider them "soft" and "east coast"
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can see Moscovegas from my porch.

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, DC...

We've got a while to plan, make some connections.

This is just getting the toe wet. We may end up in northern NM or AZ. But the prospect of being within an hour of backpacking into the mountains or doing a quick overnight in big sky country from the same domicile is enticing...

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 10
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 9:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are lots of possibilities, of course.

If you want a genuinely small town very close to the mountains, there are lot's of those, too. And they'd be more affordable than places like Fort Collins which have become fairly californicated.

If the lifestyle fits you, how about Crestone, CO? (If you prefer real hippies to faaux wannabe latte-sipping hippies.)

Are you locked into the Rockies? There are some great possibilities in the PNW, too. Portland, if you want a "real city," is very hard to beat. (And I say this as someone who lived for years in Seattle.)

If you want a smaller city, Bellingham, WA would be a great choice. On the water, near some of the best hiking in the lower 48.
 Post Number: 11
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Portland OR. I lived in that area for about 10 years and if I had to live in an urban environment, that would be it. Pass on Seattle... I managed 1 year and moved south to Portland.

Bozeman, Missoula or Billings MT. Relatively small towns. Lots of surrounding wilderness.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 12
blue_sage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I worked across the mountain west, and now am completing 28 years FT in NE Wyoming. And we have more than a few NYC emigres here, but I strongly do not suggest the area. The culture shock is ugly and unrelenting.

The Colorado Front Range, from Cheyenne WY south along the I-25 corridor is great for a re-locating east coaster. I like Fort Collins as a suggestion because of it's diverse economy, the university, and it's location to the mountains and the plains. I personally like Colorado Springs topography and the relationship with the mountains but could put this thread into the TPA with my angst about its politics.

Crestone  :D  Seriously I lived just outside Mosca  :D [look it up] on a forty acre Chico flat that was marked on 1:100000 USGS map as a "wasteland" . My neighbor was a transferred USPS manager from NYC trying to get back to land. Poor sods lasted two winters.

My best friends in Wyoming are immigrants from the PNW and the mid-atlantic and they fare OK, but never undervalue good medical care, real culture not cowboy howdy stuff, and harsh climate. There is a real reasons our population may never exceed 600k...and we like it that way  ???

--------------
"Speak out, though your voice may shake"
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bigsilk @ Mar. 02 2014, 9:08 pm)
Thanks, DC...

We've got a while to plan, make some connections.

This is just getting the toe wet. We may end up in northern NM or AZ. But the prospect of being within an hour of backpacking into the mountains or doing a quick overnight in big sky country from the same domicile is enticing...

Northern New Mexico has long been one of my favorite places in North America.  Beautiful, beautiful country.  The transition from the Rocky Mountains south into that "Santa Fe" landscape Is magnificent.  Chama is one of my favorite towns to visit, although I don't recommend moving there.  Not much there.  Santa Fe though, perhaps that is a thought.
 Post Number: 14
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2014, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Durango and Crestone are both nice, in very different ways.  For employment opportunities, Fort Collins is IMHO a much better option than either one.
 Post Number: 15
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Starbreaker @ Mar. 02 2014, 11:14 am)
Any place along the front range would fit that bill..  Look into Colorado Springs (I'm from there so I'm biased)  Literally next to the mountains and incredibly beautiful.

Not "any" place -no one is going to find that house for that price in Boulder, where a one bedroom apartment is typically more than $1000/month.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 16
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 6:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obviously my vote is for Durango. Durango arguably has the best weather in the state.  Not as cold or windy as Ft. Collins in the winter and cooler in the summer.  Housing will be a little higher in Durango unless you are willing to live outside of town.  Our restaurants are tough to beat for a town our size, or any size really, and with 5 microbreweries it is a beer lover's paradise (Ft Collins does well in this category as well).  Durango is a hiker and Mtn. Bikers paradise, with many many trails starting right in town.  We have the San Juans on three sides and the high desert to the south.

My sister lives in Ft. Collins and if I was going to live on the front range that or Loveland would be my choice.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 17
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are set on Colorado.......... Grand Junction.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 7:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm kind of chuffed about having ample access to big sky country and the mountains at once. One reason FC sounded like a good option, or just that area. We've been looking at Loveland, Windsor, Greeley, all of those little towns around there. And we're also looking at some really neat little cottages and cabins in the foothills.

As far as any 'culture shock,' I lived in Austin for twenty years, and she grew up in Ohio and southern NJ -- it's one of the biggest reasons for leaving; we're losing our ability to tolerate people, especially the stupid ones. Seems they breed like rabbits. I'm sure I'll run into plenty of stupid out there, but it will be less concentrated.

--------------
 Post Number: 19
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2014, 11:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good luck, Bigsilk...!

You might want to take a look at Helena, Montana; it offers great sceney with plenty of state jobs and should have opportunities for paralegals, too.  Great hiking starts right in town and there are mountains all over the area.  Great climate, lots of sunshine and pretty affordable, by East Coast standards.  I lived there for four years and enjoyed it.  

The population is around 30,0000.  No state university in town, though.  Missoula, Bozeman, Livinsgton and Billings all deserve a look, too.

Salt Lake probably has the most jobs and best economic climate.  Nice scenery and great skiing.

I live in Portland and it has a lot of natural beauty.  Good access to nearby wilderness areas and some great stuff right in town to do do after work.   High housing costs, high taxes, and not a great place for jobs.  Plus, a lot of newcomers don't tolerate the rain and cloudy days.  Good city living, though.

Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures!

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, RS.

It feels good to dream again.

--------------
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2014, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think Grand Junction has more in common with Utah than Colorado. It's an interesting place, but...no. I've seen what they've dumped in those rivers. Great place...but...well but.

Being sick of people isn't going to change with elevation. There are great arguments for euthanasia everywhere. Even in Crestone. I love Crestone, but I'm not thinking its the place for you both to get decent paying jobs. It does however have culture. Batsheet krazy culture. However truly fine folks and some of the finest hiking in the known Universe right out your East door.

Where in Northern New Mexico? I love New Mexico but would be a shame if you ended up in one of the places that make it in some surveys America's least favorite state.

--------------

Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 12:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As for being sick of people, the concentration is a lot lower, there.

At 2:15 every day, the school next to the building I live in lets out. Middle-school-age kids. They yell expletives across the street at one another. This goes on for 15 minutes every Monday-Friday. I live on the sixth floor and could recount the terrible things they say to each other with some detail. That's the very, very least of it. I'll take great pains to avoid living within a quarter mile of a school.

As for NM, we'd likely only be at all happy north, like Taos or Santa Fe, making it prohibitively expensive. I know Clovis all too well, and the whole of the panhandle area. They're a strange breed -- remind me a lot of people in some of the more remote towns of upstate NY. Any further south and I'm back in Texas. I left there.

--------------
 Post Number: 23
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Interesting that NYC'ers thinking to relocate put Ft Collins, Boulder, Colorado Springs on their list. Culturally are those towns really in the Rocky Mountain West or simply another  version of Eastern Sprawl only somewhere else, and Californicated to boot.  There's lots of great town's in the West like Helena MT, Medford, OR, Pocatello, ID, Delta CO, Sheridan, WY and Lander WY. There's not much difference between a traffic jam along the Front Range in CO and one in NY or New Jersey. If you're going change you're life than do it.
Rics in Pinedale, Wyoming (summer) &
Silver City, NM winter)

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 24
Woodswoman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 2:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bigsilk, here's my 2 cents worth....
I lived in Corvallis, OR, for 13 years and loved it, rain and all. Then I moved to Fort Collins, CO. I stayed there for 1 year, then bought a house in Windsor, CO. I absolutely LOVED Windsor! It was a great little town when I lived there (1999-2005). I would move back there in a heartbeat if I could find a decent paying job near there.

I now live in Colorado Springs. I am not fond of the Springs, but I have a good job here, so will not leave. CS is a little to big for my tastes, and to get to good hiking areas, it's at least a 2 hour drive. Yes, we have Garden of the Gods, North Cheyenne Canyon, and a few other fairly decent areas to day hike, but to get to the REAL mountains (for backpacking), it is a bit of a drive.

Good luck with making a decision. You have lots of fine choices to think about  :)

--------------
All this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost. ~Avicii
 Post Number: 25
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 3:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Mar. 05 2014, 12:09 pm)
Interesting that NYC'ers thinking to relocate put Ft Collins, Boulder, Colorado Springs on their list. Culturally are those towns really in the Rocky Mountain West or simply another  version of Eastern Sprawl only somewhere else, and Californicated to boot.  There's lots of great town's in the West like Helena MT, Medford, OR, Pocatello, ID, Delta CO, Sheridan, WY and Lander WY. There's not much difference between a traffic jam along the Front Range in CO and one in NY or New Jersey. If you're going change you're life than do it.
Rics in Pinedale, Wyoming (summer) &
Silver City, NM winter)

Lots of quaint little mountain towns in Co as well, but good luck getting a decent job (and there are two of them) in one of these places.
 Post Number: 26
buzzards Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 6:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If access to hiking is your primary concern, and ease of getting a job is your second, you may want to give Salt Lake City a second look.
Current unemployment rate for Utah is 4.6%, more than two percent lower than CO. I know companies are having difficulty finding qualified employees, though wage rates still trail national averages. If you have the skills, both of you should be snapped right up.
And I can be in a designated wilderness within 25 minutes of walking out my front door. Something to consider.
And if you are scared of Mormons or something, Salt Lake City proper, as well as many areas of the Salt Lake Valley, are LDS minority and politically liberal, at least by Utah standards.

--------------
Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
Ride, said pleasure,
Walk, Joy replied,
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 8:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With all due respect to Woodsie I respectfully disagree young lady. The Springs is the real NE corner of the Southwest IMO. In terms of Mountain Access I'd take the Springs over Fort Collins or Denver any day. First of all, the trails out of Green Mt. Falls up through the Garden of Eden and onto the Massif ROCK and they don't get as much traffic as you'd think. Nice streams, granite, and towering pines and firs. Great day hiking at the Academy and Monument-Palmer Lake areas. When I lived in Palmer Lake friends from the Springs and Denver would meet at my place and we'd hike Herman, Chatuaqua, the Star, and so much more. A place like that would allow for one of you to get a job in the Springs and the other in Douglas County or Denver.

Westcliffe is 1.5 hours, Twin Eagles and the Lost Creek less than an hour, Beaver Creek an hour, Culebras 1.5 hours.... By the time you get out of Denver or Fort Collins you haven't saved any time over the Springs IMO unless you want to hike right above the I70 corridor. I will take Southern Colorado over Northern Colorado all the time. Beaver Creek and Apishapa make the Southern Front Range truly SW IMO. And however narrow the Range is one can often disappear in the Sangres. I just did not get that sense North of Salida and Poncha very often.

I've been thinking about moving back to the Springs. We all like what we like.

--------------

Post Number: 28
rangersven Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 05 2014, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bigsilk,

I'd also take a look at Spokane; it's South Hills neiggborhood is really nice.  Great housing stock (check out around Manito Park).  Spokane is really affordable as far as cities go---and in the West that is a rarity...

Great location, too,  The city is about 200,000.  Lots of outdoors nearby.  No state income tax.

Happy Trails,

RS

--------------
"Backpacker.com's Original Provocateur."
 Post Number: 29
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 06 2014, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've thought about this a lot over the years, mostly just for fun.  My short list includes the following:
Cedar City, Utah
Sandpoint, Idaho
Sheridan, Wyoming
Bend, Oregon
Moscow, Idaho
Maple Valley, Washington

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 30
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 07 2014, 12:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not that we really need any more  people, but you might take a look at Billings.  The economy is booming - one of the strongest in the country - but housing costs are still pretty reasonable  Easy access to great mountain biking, fishing, skiing and then of course, there are the Beartooths an hour away.  Not really that crowded at 100,000+ people, but it's beginning to feel more like that.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
42 replies since Mar. 02 2014, 6:44 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply We're thinking of moving to the region...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions