2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: South San Juan Snowpack, Whats Normal?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RandallW201 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 2:54 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I usually frequent the South San Juan area in the summer (July/Aug) for fishing. Therefore I've never had any reason to take knowledge of the typical snowpack and what is deemed above or below average. Now that I'm getting into backpacking I'd like to know if anyone can offer any advice.

I'm looking at doing my first trip around the Conejos/Platoro area in mid to late June in hopes of getting a little bit of snow up on the CD.

These are the sites I'm viewing, but again I still don't know what a decent snow pack is, if anyone can shed some light on teh situation I'd sure appreciate it.

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=431&state=co

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=580&state=co

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=840&state=co

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=1058&state=co

--------------
I'm goin' backpackin' cause I ain't gettin' any younger!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Look at the Daily Graph of snow water equivalent.

This will plot precip and SWE for the current water year vs historical averages.

So, all four of the SNOTEL sites you linked are a little below average for precip and SWE right now.

But the real difference maker will be the weather in April and May--so keep watching these sites.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ahhh, now I feel kinda stupid. I was looking at the Snow Depth Daily Readings and just going off of the inch accumulations.

Thank you for the help!

--------------
 Post Number: 4
cweston Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find this site very useful...

Google Maps SNOTEL stations.

It shows all the Western US Snotels, color coded by percentage of normal SWE. And you can link to the detailed data fro any SNOTEL site from there.

You can see that the South San Juans and Sangres are generally a little below normal, while the whole rest of the Rockies are above normal.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 04 2014, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thank you, I like that site better as you can get a general observation at a glance. Nice find, glad I posted the question.

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Tallgrass Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cweston @ Apr. 04 2014, 2:23 pm)
I find this site very useful...

Google Maps SNOTEL stations.

It shows all the Western US Snotels, color coded by percentage of normal SWE. And you can link to the detailed data fro any SNOTEL site from there.

You can see that the South San Juans and Sangres are generally a little below normal, while the whole rest of the Rockies are above normal.

Whoa. Awesome map. Thanks!
 Post Number: 7
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 05 2014, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FLipp'n nice...
 Post Number: 8
Reminiscence Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 06 2014, 4:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can let you know what it looks like in mid-May...

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 07 2014, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ Apr. 06 2014, 3:18 am)

That would be awesome! Maybe with some pics?  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 10
TravisNWood Search for posts by this member.
W Y O M I N G

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2014, 2:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This SNOTEL site gives snowpack water content as a percent of normal, but the areas covered are larger river basins as a whole. But still those are indicative of the mountain ranges in general. Currently the southern San Juans average about 85% of normal.

Generally I prefer NOHRSC. Here is the estimated snow depth map for the San Juan Mountains. At that site, you can also obtain estimates for percent of normal snow depth for the last 30 years. So while the SNOTEL sites would suggest slightly below normal snowpack, the NOHRSC maps suggests that some areas are actually above normal.

The NOHRSC site also allows you to go back a year or more and set your date up a few weeks to see how long the spring run off may last in a comparable year. So estimates on June 15, 2013 show the snowpack pretty much gone. You have to take NOHRSC with some hesitation because it is to some extent based upon radar. There may be some snow left or it may be gone before NOHRSC shows the absence. Nonetheless, over the years, if you compare NOHRSC to what you find on the ground, I think you would find the site helpful.

Both sites provide only estimates of what you may find in the wilderness. But you can use both to see what is happening as the weeks pass given the limitations of both sources.

--------------
Location Wyoming
Webpages Cloud Peak Wilderness Maps Rocky Mountain Wildlife
Photos Bighorn Mountains Wyoming Steppes
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 08 2014, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(RandallW201 @ Apr. 07 2014, 12:11 pm)

(Reminiscence @ Apr. 06 2014, 3:18 am)

That would be awesome! Maybe with some pics? :;):

I'd be happy to. The SSJ is my study area, and I'll be there throughout the summer. My first trip is planned for the 17th or so of May.

--------------
"To be a friend of the Earth, you have to be an enemy of the people." -T.C. Boyle
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2014, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome, thanks for all the info Travis, I'm going to study these over the next few days to gain a better understanding.

Reminiscence, that sounds pretty cool. What kind of studies are you doing?

--------------
 Post Number: 13
brownmouse Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 5:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will keep watching this. LG and I may be in that area in early June and I was wondering how the snow will be then too.

--------------
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees." John Muir 1898
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: May 19 2014, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm leaving for the field tonight. I'll report from Pagosa Springs at some point this week. I know that the snowpack around the Front Range looks extremely robust as of the 19th of May.

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Starbreaker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 20 2014, 9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Extremely...  Look forward to the reports/pics.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: May 21 2014, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ May 19 2014, 8:34 pm)
I'm leaving for the field tonight. I'll report from Pagosa Springs at some point this week. I know that the snowpack around the Front Range looks extremely robust as of the 19th of May.

Looking forward to it!!!!  :D   :)  :;):

--------------
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: May 25 2014, 12:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The area should be hikable in a 3 weeks when you're there. I was surprised by how wet and snowy it is still down there, considering how I had been reading about below average snowpacks down south for some time. Even the Sangres look rather wet for this time of year. Anyway, doubt you have any fire danger or dry conditions to worry about. Your hopes for snow up high will come true. Feel free to ask about anything further.

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: May 27 2014, 12:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Reminiscence @ May 24 2014, 11:37 pm)
The area should be hikable in a 3 weeks when you're there. I was surprised by how wet and snowy it is still down there, considering how I had been reading about below average snowpacks down south for some time. Even the Sangres look rather wet for this time of year. Anyway, doubt you have any fire danger or dry conditions to worry about. Your hopes for snow up high will come true. Feel free to ask about anything further.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! That's exactly what I was wanting to hear!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Thank you very much!!!!

--------------
17 replies since Apr. 04 2014, 2:54 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply South San Juan Snowpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions