2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Holy Cross Wilderness, Trip planning inputs< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
RandyPenny Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 13 2014, 12:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're looking into a trip in the Holy Cross area for late July this year. We have the N.G. trail map and are thinking of going up the Missouri Creek trail and spend a night or two around the upper Missouri Lake. After that it looks like we'll go up to pick up the Cross Creek trail and go back to fish a couple of the lakes in the area. Then return by the Fancy Creek trail.
Hoping for some inputs on camp sites, fishing spots, and any side trips that you may have enjoyed in the area.

Thanks Randy and Penny
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm sorry you haven't gotten response Randy. Message Marmot Stew, he's backpacked that area. All I ever did was hike the Mt. Have a great trip!

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 3
Marmotstew Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 4:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I haven't been there since way back in 2007. When a gallon of milk cost a quarter.

Anyways the first thing people will say about Missouri lakes is that they are super crowded. And that's totally true. However it's a very beautiful area. I like the off trail lake the best and there is a little less traffic. Fancy lake is nice but close to the trail and not many camp sites.

I have a lot of great memories of that whole area.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 14 2014, 6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys.
 Post Number: 5
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 6:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HC is my backyard and I've hiked and bp'ed almost every trail in the area. The loop you are proposing is fairly short. Guidebooks say 8 miles but I think it's closer to 10.

It's certainly a nice area but most often for me it's a day trip. And, yes, it is super crowded at Missouri Lakes since it's only about 3 miles from the TH.

Personal favorites are Lake Constantine, Harvey Lake and Lonesome Lake. The one I get to way less frequently is a 16 mile loop on the Beaver Creek and West Grouse trails. For this one you need to take a bus from BC to Minturn, But the lakes and fishing are super awesome. The first couple miles on West grouse is where I take my dog over 50 times a year.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2014, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

bill g, your so lucky to be living in that area. We're using this as a test for us, two years ago we was out in the Colorado and after hiking and biking for a couple of days the altitude got to Penny. If she does ok we're going to try a little more.
Thanks for the info, I want Penny  to have as much fun as she does backpacking around here.
 Post Number: 7
bill g Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 2:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

RP, the Fancy Lake and Missouri Lake trails seem a good fit for what you are looking for.

Staying 2 nights at MO Lake, I would take one day and hike over to Blodgett Lake. It about 2 miles away. There is good trail over MO Pass all the way to Cross Creek but no defined trail up to Blodgett. But, you can see it  from the top of MO Pass and pretty straightforward on how to get there. Great fishing in that lake.

At Fancy Lake there are a couple of good camp sites a few hundred feet past the outlet stream. Left or downhill side as you approach. From Fancy Lake. A recemmended side trip is to Holy Cross City. I think it's just over a mile from Fancy Lake. (There is a trail maker at the bottom of Fancy Pass.)  It's an old mining town...ghost town now. If you go thru HC City there is a pretty amazing 4WD obstacle called Cleveland Rock. You can find videos of this on YouTube. About a half mile past Cleveland Rock is Cleveland Lake. Another nice place with good fishing.

--------------
you don't know what you got till it's gone
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bill, Thank you! This was exactly the kind of information we were looking for. Can't wait to make this trip! If all goes well we may hit another trail or two before returning home. Thanks again!
7 replies since Apr. 13 2014, 12:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Holy Cross Wilderness
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions