2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Day hikes in Utah national parkd, Suggestions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 10:06 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a son who has two weeks off and is heading to Utah toward the end of April. He's tentatively planning on visiting Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon and Zion.  In actuality, probably just three of them.  He's asked me for advice for suggested day hikes but I'm not really familiar with the area.  So, could you folks familiar with the region, suggest one or two good day hikes in each  park.  He's a strong and experienced hiker - 15-20 miles a day under normal circumstances wouldn't be a problem.  He's not a climber so we're not looking for anything technical here.  Any added advice would be welcome as well.  He'll be doing these hikes solo.  Thanks and I'll be sure to pass along your suggestions.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2014, 11:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jer, he's a big boy now. Tell him to sign up for his own account here.

He probably already has an iPhone that has an app for that...

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Apr. 16 2014, 11:45 pm)
Jer, he's a big boy now. Tell him to sign up for his own account here.

He probably already has an iPhone that has an app for that...

Ya, I figured someone would say that.  Still, never hurts to help out.  Just one way to keep the communication lines open.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You didn't mention Capitol Reef, which is my favorite park for dayhikes.  I'd say go for Bryce, Zion, Capitol Reef OR Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef.  Canyonlands has 3 major sections to it, but the dayhikes are mostly in the Island in the Sky section, or possibly a little bit in the Needles area.  You said 3 of the parks, so that is my suggestion.  Then, if he still has time, he can head over to the other pair of parks.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 5
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was at Bryce last week though only for one night.  Definitely worth hiking below the rim in the main amphitheater.  The trails are short but they connect.  We went down Navajo from Sunset Point, then to Peekaboo (clockwise), then Queen's Garden to Sunrise Point.  A little over 6 miles, took us just under 3 hours taking lots of pictures.  Wall Street and the Bryce Point connector (to Peekaboo) were both still closed.  If Wall Street is open, I'd take that down instead of Navajo.

At Zion, the iconic hikes are the Narrows and Angel's Landing.  Both are definitely worth doing.  3 hours or so for Angel's Landing.  Bottom-up Narrows, about 4 hours.  Check conditions for the Narrows and rent gear in Springdale if water flow is high and/or water temps are really low (i.e. <40-45deg).  Observation Point is also a good hike.

Good hiking resources for the area:
- Bo and Tanya's website (not just limited to Zion)
http://www.zionnational-park.com/is.htm
- Joe Braun's website for Zion:
http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Arches NP, do the Devil's Garden loop. I then always plan to be in the Windows area for sunsets.

Don't forget Natural Bridges NM. A good loop trail there as well.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
starwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 12:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HIdden Canyon at Zion is another neat hike.

--------------
"Straight paths made by man
Are unnatural and full of curses
But a trail is a song."

Louis Oliver (Creek Indian poet)
"Songs on Winding Trails"
in Chasers of the Sun
 Post Number: 8
chuckbo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2014, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

arches: devils garden primitive trail and delicate arch.     just west of moab oh 279: corona arch (stay off swing) canyonlands needles district: hikes to chesler park. joint trail, druid arch, and peekaboo arch.                          Natural Bridges NM: loop hike to the 3 bridges.              Cedar Mesa(7 miles south of NBNM) ranger station.  Get directions & permits for Moonhouse, the Citadel, Road  Canyon ruins.  Can dayhike Bullet Canyon to Jailhouse ruin.Thenorth to Hanksville on 95 and Capital Reef NP.  Lots of dayhiking here including Lower Muley Twist.          Just to the north of Hanksville is  Canyonlands Horseshoe Canyon and the Great Gallery pictographs.  With a good 4x4 could also go into the Maze district here.   Next to Goblin Valley SP is Little Wildhorse Canyon/Bell Canyon loop thru narrow slots.                                                              (Sorry I am not good at using computer typing.  Iknow my form looks bad, but its the best I can do!)
 Post Number: 9
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 5:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With all due respect IMO soloing the Maze with or without a vehicle would not be a great idea. Druid Arch is awesome. I love Natural Biridges far more than Arches. ITs small, but the <9 mile loop is AWESOME. Love Cedar Mesa too.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 10
Rics Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 18 2014, 7:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind but...Buckskin Gulch, from Wire Pass to the Paria Campground is about 17 miles. It's best as a backpack (one night) but memorable as an in and out dayhike.
Of everything I've done I'd have to put it in my top ten all time hiking adventures. It's not in a National Park, but on the Utah/AZ border. You can get a permit in Kanab or at the Paria Ranger Station (BLM). There's a campground at each end. April is the perfect month.
Rics
Rics

--------------
Rics
www.trekkerman.com
 Post Number: 11
burntfoot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have a good forecast if considering Buckskin.

--------------
I love the mountains!
 Post Number: 12
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rics @ Apr. 18 2014, 7:20 pm)
I know this isn't exactly what you had in mind but...Buckskin Gulch, from Wire Pass to the Paria Campground is about 17 miles. It's best as a backpack (one night) but memorable as an in and out dayhike.
Of everything I've done I'd have to put it in my top ten all time hiking adventures. It's not in a National Park, but on the Utah/AZ border. You can get a permit in Kanab or at the Paria Ranger Station (BLM). There's a campground at each end. April is the perfect month.

If he has time for that area, between Kanab and Page, lots of great stuff there.

Wire Pass and Buckskin's nice but I was surprised how many people were there last week.

In the Paria Wilderness, accessed from the same road as Wire Pass/Buckskin ("House Rock Valley Road"), Coyote Buttes South walk-in permits seemed relatively easy to get (I got mine online but everyone else we met had gotten them as walk-ins; 10 available per day.)  With a 4WD/high-clearance vehicle, the Cottonwood Cove area is stunning.

In Page, we really enjoyed Water Holes Canyon.  Nice slot sections up-canyon for a few miles with easy access on 89.  Nothing technical, just one by-pass to get to an additional slot.  Some fun rock scrambling if you want.  It was like a giant playground.  Need to get a permit from Navajo Parks & Recreation. ($12 per person.)

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 13
null Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 19 2014, 1:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Arches: Fiery Furnace

--------------
Lose Weight Backpacking
http://www.fitpacking.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 14
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We mostly did dayhikes when we visited the area last year (a couple months later than he will so not sure how that will affect things)
Arches
Cap Reef (didn't hike) & slots
Bryce
Zion
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 15
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My Canyonlands picks:
Syncline Loop Trail - Island in the Sky - Every canyon feature except an arch and pictographs
Horse Canyon - Maze - Pictographs to the max
Confluence Overlook - Needles - Canyonesque River overlook

Arches: 6:00 AM drive through - no hike recommended
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 24 2014, 10:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I forwarded them all, including yours, SWT.  That'll be interesting.

Thanks again to all.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In Zion I really like Observation Point with a side trip to Hidden Canyon. This hike takes you considerably higher than Angels Landing with more expansive views, with the bonus of a little slot canyon exploring. The only downside is you don't get the exposure of Angels Landing, which is kind of fun if you're not bothered by that sort of thing.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Apr. 24 2014, 8:42 pm)
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I forwarded them all, including yours, SWT.  That'll be interesting.

Thanks again to all.

Which one ? I posted #2 and #6 ...

It would be great to have your son aboard Jer. I can't think of any multi- generation family that posts here, and we need some new, "younger" members, to give their perspective to our 50-60+ yr old eyes .

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 10:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(swimswithtrout @ Apr. 25 2014, 9:31 pm)

(hikerjer @ Apr. 24 2014, 8:42 pm)

Thanks again to all.

Which one ? I posted #2 and #6 ...

It would be great to have your son aboard Jer. I can't think of any multi- generation family that posts here, and we need some new, "younger" members, to give their perspective to our 50-60+ yr old eyes .

Both of them.  I'll try to get him on board. He may be lurking already.

--------------
 Post Number: 20
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 25 2014, 11:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(double cabin @ Apr. 18 2014, 2:13 pm)
I love Natural Biridges far more than Arches. ITs small, but the <9 mile loop is AWESOME.

Ditto that.  Early in the year without the crowds it doesn't have a large NP feeling.  The friendly rangers and volunteers set up telescopes and took advantage of the extreme dark sky to share views of celestial bodies with visitors.  There are amazing campsites (BLM?) just outside the park, too.  Natural Bridges was a very pleasant surprise when we were there in 2010.

Red Canyon (west of Escalante, north of Bryce) is worth looking into.  Maps available at nearby ranger stations.  Again we camped on BLM property.
19 replies since Apr. 16 2014, 10:06 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Day hikes in Utah national parkd
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions