2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Question: Ice Lake Basin Hike - San Juan Mtn's, Rookie Question< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jpw2913 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 4:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a rookie question about hiking to Ice Lake Basin (Silverton, CO).  All the trail maps/info I can find on the trail say that the season is July to September.  I am planning a trip to the area the last week in June.  Does this mean the trail will be closed, or is it just recommended to do this hike in July to September.  Thanks for any responses!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi.  You should be able to get up there the last week in June.  The trail is always open, it is just a matter of snow.  Most of the trail is south facing so you should be all right.  You will likely hit some snow field, but should be fine.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 3
double cabin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 21 2014, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Mineral Creek Snotel Comes in slightly above "normal"

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/nwcc....TERYEAR

You've chosen one of the most spectacular hikes of the American West. I'm guessing the snow will be pretty darn well tracked in a good distance. Have an awesome time.

--------------
We have nothing to fear but an industry of fear...and man skirts.

http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=129511480442251
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really appreciate the info.  I'm looking forward to seeing Ice Lake Basin for sure.  Another question....what about water on this hike?  Can we just filter the water we come across to drink or do we need to plan to pack enough water for the entire hike?  Most of my hiking/backpacking has been in the Big Bend region of Texas so i'm alway cautious about the water situation.  Thanks!
 Post Number: 5
Lamebeaver Search for posts by this member.
trail? I don't need no stinkin trail!

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 22 2014, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At that time of year there should be plenty water, but you do want to filter it.
 Post Number: 6
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 1:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Avoid the crowds, start early 6:00 AM, it's a very popular trail.
 Post Number: 7
greened Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 23 2014, 10:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a great hike but bring your A game. Not a flat spot until you reach the lower basin. Many people stop at the waterfall in the lower basin and this is a huge mistake IMO. The real glory is in the upper basin around Blue Lake/Island Lake/etc. There is water on the trail but I can't remember the details of when/where so just fill up when you get the chance. Of course there are the lakes once you get to the basin. Enjoy! It is a beautiful place!
 Post Number: 8
Cou_Rouge Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 27 2014, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You will surely be able to reach the lower basin.  There is a rather narrow ledge just next to the waterfall that is shaded and often snowed over in late june.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Question:  With the recent snow in Colorado, does anyone know if Ice Lake Basin will be doable the last week of june?  Given there is no more significant snowfall betwee now and then.
 Post Number: 10
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 29 2014, 2:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think you should be fine.  Probably hit some patches of snow, but otherwise you should be ok.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
9 replies since Apr. 21 2014, 4:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Question: Ice Lake Basin Hike - San Juan Mtn's
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions